Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 AM
squareyes

Default Can I use Debian DVD's to install on Ubuntu

Hi all,
I have a 3 DVD set of Debian 4 "Etch", and was wondering if I can use
them to
install applications like Scribus, Inkscape etc. on Ubuntu 7.04 ?

I have friends who have Ubuntu running on machines with no Internet access,
and thought if I could add the DVD's to their (mine too, have slow dial up)
apt.sources list and use them as repositories. Would save them bringing
their boxes here
and installing via my slow dialup.

Are there any problems that may rear their ugly heads.

Many thanks in advance.
Take Care
Winton

Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
squareyes

Chris Debenham wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:54 +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:12 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a 3 DVD set of Debian 4 "Etch", and was wondering if I can use
>>> them to
>>> install applications like Scribus, Inkscape etc. on Ubuntu 7.04 ?
>>>
>> No is the short answer.
>> Not safely, and without causing major long term issues is the longer
>> answer.
>>

>>> I have friends who have Ubuntu running on machines with no Internet access,
>>> and thought if I could add the DVD's to their (mine too, have slow dial up)
>>> apt.sources list and use them as repositories. Would save them bringing
>>> their boxes here
>>> and installing via my slow dialup.
>>>
>>> Are there any problems that may rear their ugly heads.
>>>
>> yes. package conflicts of all sorts :/
>> kk
>>

> The best way to do what you are wanting is to download the Ubuntu 7.04
> dvd from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/7.04/release/
> Then you can use that one instead
> Ubuntu 7.10 DVD images are also available from that site.

Hi,
many thanks, saved me from making a mess of 3 machines,
will check out the Ubuntu DVD.
Take Care
Winton

Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Goetz wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:12 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 3 DVD set of Debian 4 "Etch", and was wondering if I can use
>> them to
>> install applications like Scribus, Inkscape etc. on Ubuntu 7.04 ?
>
> No is the short answer.
> Not safely, and without causing major long term issues is the longer
> answer.

I beg to differ, with many caveats. If Etch is older than 2006/10 (before
feisty was synced with dapper) it shouldn't (famous last words!) cause any
upgrades to existing packages - so it shouldn't break anything that already
exists. If it's newer than that, it still shouldn't be a problem if you
don't _let_ it upgrade existing packages.

However, many times the etch package may just not be installable, and others
it may install broken software.

Far better to just order a copy of the Gutsy DVD.
--
derek