Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Alan McKay

Default Data Recovery (was: 10.04.1 "partion not marked for formatting" during install)

OK, there was some data there that I'd like to get back if possilble.
I still did not manage to do a new install on the RAID10 array, so the
data should mostly still be there. It is LInux SW RAID10. As
mentioned I started the install but it bombed out as mentioned in the
original thread, so never got any further.

Can someone provide details on exactly by what means the installer
removed my /usr directory? This may help in recovering it.

I've had my array mounted RO since then, booting from ubuntu live cd

Tried photorec already and it did not get the photos I am looking for.

What else to try?

The filesystem mounts find and everything else is there, just the /usr
(and assumedly other system dirs) are blown away.

thanks,
-Alan

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 1:51 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> OK, there was some data there that I'd like to get back if possilble.
> I still did not manage to do a new install on the RAID10 array, so the
> data should mostly still be there. It is LInux SW RAID10. As
> mentioned I started the install but it bombed out as mentioned in the
> original thread, so never got any further.
>
> Can someone provide details on exactly by what means the installer
> removed my /usr directory? This may help in recovering it.
>
> I've had my array mounted RO since then, booting from ubuntu live cd
>
> Tried photorec already and it did not get the photos I am looking for.
>
> What else to try?
>
> The filesystem mounts find and everything else is there, just the /usr
> (and assumedly other system dirs) are blown away.
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

If you have access to the drive from the live CD, then you should be
able to search for the files, and if you find them, cp them or dd them
to a directory you can make on some location you _can_ access.
Well, I'm just an old newbie, so maybe I don't understand the situation.
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley