Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default typing pie from keyboard in vi

Is there a way I can type the mathematical symbol pie from my keyboard.
Recently one of the professional networking website where I was logging in
asked me to enter CAPTCHA and in their security verification image
they had given pie to be entered.
I do not use Windows to use any type of virtual keyboard.
Where in my US English keyboard I can do that.

--
Tapas

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 3:28 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Is there a way I can type the mathematical symbol pie from my keyboard.
> Recently one of the professional networking website where I was logging in
> asked me to enter CAPTCHA and in their security verification image
> they had given pie to be entered.
> I do not use Windows to use any type of virtual keyboard.
> Where in my US English keyboard I can do that.

How can anyone reading their website enter pi (correct spelling) if
you can't even find it yourself? However, you can find it in Unicode

Unicode Character 'GREEK SMALL LETTER PI' (U+03C0)

or, I think, U+03A0, for the capital letter, if I read the chart correctly.

Dig into the Unicode stuff in Google. It's confusing.
--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Doug wrote:
> On 9/16/2010 3:28 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> Is there a way I can type the mathematical symbol pie from my keyboard.
>> Recently one of the professional networking website where I was logging in
>> asked me to enter CAPTCHA and in their security verification image
>> they had given pie to be entered.
>> I do not use Windows to use any type of virtual keyboard.
>> Where in my US English keyboard I can do that.

Open Applications -> Accessories -> charactermap
Find ?, select it (click on it) and copy (CTRL/C) and paste (CTRL/V).
There are other methods but this is the easiest.

> How can anyone reading their website enter pi (correct spelling) if
> you can't even find it yourself? However, you can find it in Unicode
>
> Unicode Character 'GREEK SMALL LETTER PI' (U+03C0)
>
> or, I think, U+03A0, for the capital letter, if I read the chart correctly.
>
> Dig into the Unicode stuff in Google. It's confusing.
> --doug
Joep

Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:

> Open Applications -> Accessories -> charactermap
> Find ?, select it (click on it) and copy (CTRL/C) and paste (CTRL/V).
How do I copy an image the character is printed on an image in CAPTCHA.

> There are other methods but this is the easiest.
What are the other methods I would like to know.
--
Tapas_servers

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 03:51 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 9/16/2010 3:28 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> > Is there a way I can type the mathematical symbol pie from my keyboard.
> > Recently one of the professional networking website where I was logging in
> > asked me to enter CAPTCHA and in their security verification image
> > they had given pie to be entered.
> > I do not use Windows to use any type of virtual keyboard.
> > Where in my US English keyboard I can do that.
> >
> How can anyone reading their website enter pi (correct spelling) if
> you can't even find it yourself? However, you can find it in Unicode
>
> Unicode Character 'GREEK SMALL LETTER PI' (U+03C0)

Type Ctrl-Shift-u, then 03C0 and Space or Enter. This seems to work
everywhere I have tried it. Hope it works with CAPTCHA.

You can look up the Unicodes in the Character Map

> or, I think, U+03A0, for the capital letter, if I read the chart correctly.
>
> Dig into the Unicode stuff in Google. It's confusing.
> --doug
> --
> Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A.M. Greeley

Tony

Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Am Do, 16. September 2010, um 11:03:00 schrieb Tapas Mishra:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> > Open Applications -> Accessories -> charactermap
> > Find ?, select it (click on it) and copy (CTRL/C) and paste (CTRL/V).
>
> How do I copy an image the character is printed on an image in CAPTCHA.
>
> > There are other methods but this is the easiest.
>
> What are the other methods I would like to know.

You may set up more than one keyboard layout.

Go to "System" - "Settings" - "Keyboard" or from a terminal start the program
"gnome-keyboard-properties"

Select the second tab at the top "Layouts"

With "Add..." you may choose your new (in this case additional) layout with
Language: "Greece" and Layout: "Greece"

You should see a new small keyboard icon in the notification applet of your
gnome-panel, left click with the mouse and change the keyboard layout whenever
jou need it.

regards,
thomas

Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Type Ctrl-Shift-u, then 03C0 and Space or Enter. This seems to work
> everywhere I have tried it. Hope it works with CAPTCHA.
Yes this works.
--
Tapas

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM, <email.listen@googlemail.com> wrote:
> You may set up more than one keyboard layout.
> Language: "Greece" *and Layout: "Greece"
Do you mean to say to be able to fill up that CAPTCHA I need a Greek keyboard
layout?

--
Tapas

Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 03:51 -0400, Doug wrote:
>> On 9/16/2010 3:28 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>> Is there a way I can type the mathematical symbol pie from my keyboard.
>>> Recently one of the professional networking website where I was logging in
>>> asked me to enter CAPTCHA and in their security verification image
>>> they had given pie to be entered.
>>> I do not use Windows to use any type of virtual keyboard.
>>> Where in my US English keyboard I can do that.
>>>
>> How can anyone reading their website enter pi (correct spelling) if
>> you can't even find it yourself? However, you can find it in Unicode
>>
>> Unicode Character 'GREEK SMALL LETTER PI' (U+03C0)
>
> Type Ctrl-Shift-u, then 03C0 and Space or Enter. This seems to work
> everywhere I have tried it. Hope it works with CAPTCHA.
>
> You can look up the Unicodes in the Character Map
>
>> or, I think, U+03A0, for the capital letter, if I read the chart correctly.
>>
>> Dig into the Unicode stuff in Google. It's confusing.
>> --doug
>> --
>> Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
>> --A.M. Greeley
>>

> Tony

Tony, nice solution. One small correction: it doesn't work in
gnome-terminal (as I have tried).
Joep

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Michael Pavling

On 16 September 2010 11:50, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean to say to be able to fill up that CAPTCHA I need a Greek keyboard
> layout?

I'd guess that the CAPTCHA was the "recaptcha" [1], a now Google-owned
method of correcting OCR mistakes and passing Turing tests at the same
time.

Of course, sometimes you get strange characters crop up, or even
*really* illegible CAPTCHAs. There's a button to refresh the CAPTCHA
graphic with a different one in these events (or just get it wrong
once and it'll ask another).