Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 AM
terry l

Default voltage

311 volts is 220, peak to peak

Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l <xtlynne@charter.net>:

> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak

Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 17, 2010 12:24 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l<xtlynne@charter.net>:
>
>> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak
>>

> Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?

Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Clark Martin

On Sep 16, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l <xtlynne@charter.net>:
>
>> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak

Actually it's not. 220 VAC RMS is the same as (assuming a nice clean sine wave) 311 volts PEAK or 622V Peak to Peak.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Vic Main

At 04:26 PM 09/16/10, you wrote:
>On Friday, September 17, 2010 12:24 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l<xtlynne@charter.net>:
> >
> >> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak
> >>

> > Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?
> >

>Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
>digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
>in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
>functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.
Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
Philips, Tektronix, etc.

Vic

Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 17, 2010 07:57 AM, Vic Main wrote:
> At 04:26 PM 09/16/10, you wrote:

>>> Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?
>>>

>> Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
>> digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
>> in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
>> functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.
> Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
> voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
> Philips, Tektronix, etc.

The thing is, it did read 2xx before so unless I had major problems
before...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Li Li

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:35 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2010 07:57 AM, Vic Main wrote:

> >> Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
> >> digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
> >> in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
> >> functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.
> > Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
> > voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
> > Philips, Tektronix, etc.
> >

> The thing is, it did read 2xx before so unless I had major problems
> before...

As I pointed out to you last week: 311 x 0.707 = ~220. You're reading
peak. Maybe you're not using the meter correctly, or maybe it stopped
being a true RMS meter. If the mains voltage were that much higher than
it should be, all kinds of things would be smoking.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions

Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 17, 2010 10:00 AM, Li Li wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:35 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
>>> voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
>>> Philips, Tektronix, etc.
>>>

>> The thing is, it did read 2xx before so unless I had major problems
>> before...
>>
> As I pointed out to you last week: 311 x 0.707 = ~220. You're reading
> peak. Maybe you're not using the meter correctly, or maybe it stopped
> being a true RMS meter. If the mains voltage were that much higher than
> it should be, all kinds of things would be smoking.

Hence the part about the battery in the thing. Or maybe I am not using
it properly. One day I am going to get zapped.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 7:26 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2010 12:24 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l<xtlynne@charter.net>:
>>
>>> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak
>>>

>> Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?
>>

> Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
> digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
> in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
> functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.

First replace the battery. But it sounds more like you are rectifying
the AC and peak-detecting it--i.e., by putting a capacitor at the
output of the rectifier. (It wouldn't need to be much capacitance--the
input impedance of the meter is in the megohm region.) This would
indicate some kind of circuit screwup inside the meter, maybe a bad or
shorted switch contact Or the range knob is loose, and some other
function produces this result?

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 19:00 -0700, Li Li wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:35 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> > > Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
> > > voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
> > > Philips, Tektronix, etc.
> > >

> > The thing is, it did read 2xx before so unless I had major problems
> > before...
> >
> As I pointed out to you last week: 311 x 0.707 = ~220. You're reading
> peak. Maybe you're not using the meter correctly, or maybe it stopped
> being a true RMS meter. If the mains voltage were that much higher than
> it should be, all kinds of things would be smoking.

I got similar readings on a rental property. The meter base was
completely corroded inside at the base connections, big knots of
oxidation. I mean REALLY NASTY. The Utility Co. turned off the power at
the pole for me, so we could open it up. Then they took their huge wire
snippers and cut about an inch of the ends off, then stripped the lines,
pasted the ends with anti-oxidation goop and re-fastened everything back
together. Everything in the house behaved nicely after cleaning up the
box. Aluminum wiring needs to be checked about every 8 years. When was
the last time you inspected your meter base?? Hrmmmm?? Ric

Linux user# 44256