Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Doug

Default Step 5 of install fails

When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
install to an extended partition,
/dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
Thanx--doug

Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 10:22 PM, Doug wrote:
> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
> it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
> install to an extended partition,
> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
> type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
> Thanx--doug

Can you post a screenshot somewhere - perhaps imageshack? Also, are you
using the liveCD, Alternate CD, or liveDVD?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Basil Chupin

On 17/09/2010 09:39, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 10:22 PM, Doug wrote:
>
>> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
>> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
>> it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
>> install to an extended partition,
>> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
>> type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
>> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
>> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
>> Thanx--doug
>>

> Can you post a screenshot somewhere - perhaps imageshack? Also, are you
> using the liveCD, Alternate CD, or liveDVD?

Output from "[sudo] fdisk /dev/sda -l" would be helpful also.

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
> it doesn't work. *The only option is to wipe the disk. *I want to
> install to an extended partition,
> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
> type 83, Linux. *It is otherwise empty. *On this machine there are XP,
> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?

Is the partition already "carved out"?

Are you choosing "specify partitions manually" at the "disk space" step?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Tom H

Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 7:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 10:22 PM, Doug wrote:
>> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
>> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
>> it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
>> install to an extended partition,
>> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
>> type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
>> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
>> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
>> Thanx--doug
>>

> Can you post a screenshot somewhere - perhaps imageshack? Also, are you
> using the liveCD, Alternate CD, or liveDVD?

In both cases I tried (10.04 and 10.04.1) it was the live CD. What is
the alternate CD, what are its features, and where would I get it?
I know the CD of 10.04.1 works--it installed in school. (The same disk.)

I don't know how I'd paste a screen-shot, except by photograph.
When I get to that screen, I cannot snap on anything but the option
to blow away the whole drive and start over. Nothing else takes input.
Two other things that I didn't know about/realize when I sent the message:
1. The same screen says there are no other operating systems on the
machine. (Obviously not true.)
2. Partlogic 0.69 says the other partitions do not start on the right
number, that it should in all cases be 1, but it's not. I declined the
offer to fix this, but if I can get it again, I will let it try.
As I mentioned in a post on the Debian list, I have a backup for the
XP and PcLOs portions of the drive, but not for the Debian, so if
I blow everything away, I can replace 2/3 of what's there.

I will keep the list posted. --doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 9:42 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
>> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
>> it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
>> install to an extended partition,
>> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
>> type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
>> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
>> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
>
> Is the partition already "carved out"?
>
> Are you choosing "specify partitions manually" at the "disk space" step?

Yes and Yes. But after I select choose partitions manually, I can't.
See replies to other posts for more info.

--doug

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Basil Chupin

On 17/09/2010 13:14, Doug wrote:
> On 9/16/2010 9:42 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
>>> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
>>> it doesn't work. The only option is to wipe the disk. I want to
>>> install to an extended partition,
>>> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
>>> type 83, Linux. It is otherwise empty. On this machine there are XP,
>>> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
>>> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
>>>
>> Is the partition already "carved out"?
>>
>> Are you choosing "specify partitions manually" at the "disk space" step?
>>

> Yes and Yes. But after I select choose partitions manually, I can't.
> See replies to other posts for more info.
>
> --doug

So, what's the output from 'sudo fdisk /dev/sda -l' using the Live CD?

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Doug

On 9/16/2010 11:57 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 17/09/2010 13:14, Doug wrote:

>>> Is the partition already "carved out"?
>>>
>>> Are you choosing "specify partitions manually" at the "disk space" step?
>>>

>> Yes and Yes. But after I select choose partitions manually, I can't.
>> See replies to other posts for more info.
>>
>> --doug
>>
> So, what's the output from 'sudo fdisk /dev/sda -l' using the Live CD?
>
> BC

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Jnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x41ab2316

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdal * 1 3961 31816701 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 3962 16001 96711174 f W95Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 3962 5529 12594928+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 5530 5715 1494013+ 82 Linux swap/Sola
/dev/sda7 5716 7113 11229403+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 7114 10760 29294496 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 10761 16001 42098301 83 Linux

Man, I could've typed it in by hand. I printed it, scanned it, OCR'd
it, reformatted it.

Anyway, there it is. sda 5, 6, 7 are for PCLINUXOS
sda 8 is DEbian
sda 9 I made for Ubuntu, but Ubunto doesn't like.

As you can see, sda 5~9 are sub-partitions of sda2. "Sola" should read
"Solaris: but it wouldn't fit on the line.

I'm going to try the Partlogic 0.69 on it again, and see if the offer
to correct whatever it thinks should start with number 1 still stands,
and see what happens then.

I thank all those interested,
--doug

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2010 07:31 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 9/16/2010 7:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Can you post a screenshot somewhere - perhaps imageshack? Also, are you
>> using the liveCD, Alternate CD, or liveDVD?
>
> In both cases I tried (10.04 and 10.04.1) it was the live CD. What is
> the alternate CD, what are its features, and where would I get it?
> I know the CD of 10.04.1 works--it installed in school. (The same disk.)

Alternate CD is a text mode install CD with advanced options.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate
http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/lucid/
[Alternate install CD]

It does not use the liveCD Ubiquity installer (ping Colin Watson - who
occasionally posts here).

For your issue, you might want to check:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity
Search on 'lucid', 'partition', etc., to see if there is a related bug
report. Example:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity?field.searchtext=manual+partition+%2Bluci d&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

> I don't know how I'd paste a screen-shot, except by photograph.

Boot to the liveCD and at the 'Install' screen rather than selecting
'Install' 'Try Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS'. That will get you to a standard
graphical desktop. Make sure you have networking working & then click
the 'Install Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS' desktop icon. From there you can now
use the standard Applications|Accessories|'Take a Screenshot' or of
course Alt-PrintScrn.

Example:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/45114005/Screenshot2-ubiquity.png

> When I get to that screen, I cannot snap on anything but the option
> to blow away the whole drive and start over. Nothing else takes input.
> Two other things that I didn't know about/realize when I sent the message:
> 1. The same screen says there are no other operating systems on the
> machine. (Obviously not true.)
> 2. Partlogic 0.69 says the other partitions do not start on the right
> number, that it should in all cases be 1, but it's not. I declined the
> offer to fix this, but if I can get it again, I will let it try.
> As I mentioned in a post on the Debian list, I have a backup for the
> XP and PcLOs portions of the drive, but not for the Debian, so if
> I blow everything away, I can replace 2/3 of what's there.

What does gparted show (it's on the liveCD System|Administration|GParted)?