Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Rashkae

Default Encoding to x264 using ffmpeg

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I was running Karmic, I would encode a video to x264 running ffmpeg
> as follows:
> ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -sameq -s
> 854x480 -aspect 1.78 outputfile.mp4
>
> It used to work great. However, when I use this very same command line
> in lucid, I get this error message:
>
> [libx264 @ 0xc28200]broken ffmpeg default settings detected
> [libx264 @ 0xc28200]use an encoding preset (vpre)
> Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
> parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
>
> I found some preset files in /usr/share/ffmpeg. If I use one of them
> with the -vpre switch, ffmpeg runs without complaining, but with none of
> these preset files I get results comparable with what I was used to in
> Karmic. For example, if I run ffmpeg with -vpre default, I get a very
> tiny file with horrible quality. If I use -vpre lossless_slower, I get a
> file with good quality, but with a size 7 to 10 times the original (in
> Karmic, I would get a file smaller than the original). And so on.
> I've read some ffmpeg encoding tutorials, but so far I'm still unable to
> generate video files with acceptable quality and sizes.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

Get handbrake.. unless you're *really* married to the idea of wrestling
with ffmpeg directly.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em quarta-feira 15 setembro 2010, Rashkae escreveu:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I was running Karmic, I would encode a video to x264 running
> > ffmpeg as follows:
> > ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -sameq -s
> > 854x480 -aspect 1.78 outputfile.mp4
> >
> > It used to work great. However, when I use this very same command
> > line in lucid, I get this error message:
> >
> > [libx264 @ 0xc28200]broken ffmpeg default settings detected
> > [libx264 @ 0xc28200]use an encoding preset (vpre)
> > Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
> > parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
> >
> > I found some preset files in /usr/share/ffmpeg. If I use one of
> > them with the -vpre switch, ffmpeg runs without complaining, but
> > with none of these preset files I get results comparable with what
> > I was used to in Karmic. For example, if I run ffmpeg with -vpre
> > default, I get a very tiny file with horrible quality. If I use
> > -vpre lossless_slower, I get a file with good quality, but with a
> > size 7 to 10 times the original (in Karmic, I would get a file
> > smaller than the original). And so on. I've read some ffmpeg
> > encoding tutorials, but so far I'm still unable to generate video
> > files with acceptable quality and sizes.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcelo
>
> Get handbrake.. unless you're *really* married to the idea of
> wrestling with ffmpeg directly.

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I need a tool that allows me to do
batch conversions, because I have dozens of videos that I need to
convert to x264.

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Chris Jones

> Thanks for your suggestion. However, I need a tool that allows me to do
> batch conversions, because I have dozens of videos that I need to
> convert to x264.

handbrake has both a GUI and CLI version ...

Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 19:29 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> > Thanks for your suggestion. However, I need a tool that allows me to do
> > batch conversions, because I have dozens of videos that I need to
> > convert to x264.
>
> handbrake has both a GUI and CLI version ...

I don't see it in the repos... I'll google for a .deb version, if one
exists, Thanx, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Chris Jones

> I don't see it in the repos... I'll google for a .deb version, if one
> exists, Thanx, Ric

It exists...

<http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php>

Chris

Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Michael Haney

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I was running Karmic, I would encode a video to x264 running ffmpeg
>> as follows:
>> ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -sameq -s
>> 854x480 -aspect 1.78 outputfile.mp4
>>
>> It used to work great. However, when I use this very same command line
>> in lucid, I get this error message:
>>
>> [libx264 @ 0xc28200]broken ffmpeg default settings detected
>> [libx264 @ 0xc28200]use an encoding preset (vpre)
>> Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
>> parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
>>
>> I found some preset files in /usr/share/ffmpeg. If I use one of them
>> with the -vpre switch, ffmpeg runs without complaining, but with none of
>> these preset files I get results comparable with what I was used to in
>> Karmic. For example, if I run ffmpeg with -vpre default, I get a very
>> tiny file with horrible quality. If I use -vpre lossless_slower, I get a
>> file with good quality, but with a size 7 to 10 times the original (in
>> Karmic, I would get a file smaller than the original). And so on.
>> I've read some ffmpeg encoding tutorials, but so far I'm still unable to
>> generate video files with acceptable quality and sizes.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcelo
>>

> Get handbrake.. unless you're *really* married to the idea of wrestling
> with ffmpeg directly.

You've just earned Brownie Points! Handbrake is the best open-source
video conversion software out there. I don't know most of its
features yet, and haven't had a need to deinterlace or deblock video,
but a friend of mine is using the Mac version to digitally convert his
entire Star Trek collection into iTunes video format and he has to use
several of Handbrake's filtering features.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Michael Haney

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
<mmtsales@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion. However, I need a tool that allows me to do
> batch conversions, because I have dozens of videos that I need to
> convert to x264.

Handbrake's GUI version has a queue for batch conversions to x264 and
Matroska format. I wonder if a future release will also support WebM.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Alan Holt

Please, look how to install last ffmpeg withe x264 support here:*
http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ffmpeg-x264-encoding-guide/

and here:*

it's very easy))

[...]

Код - это поэзия!
www.linuxspace.org

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 22:21 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I don't see it in the repos... I'll google for a .deb version, if one
> > exists, Thanx, Ric
>
> It exists...
>
> <http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php>

Thanks Chris, I had just found it. Took a bit to get the keys installed,
but now it's loading! Thanx, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 AM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em quinta-feira 16 setembro 2010, Michael Haney escreveu:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
>
> <mmtsales@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for your suggestion. However, I need a tool that allows me
> > to do batch conversions, because I have dozens of videos that I
> > need to convert to x264.
>
> Handbrake's GUI version has a queue for batch conversions to x264 and
> Matroska format. I wonder if a future release will also support
> WebM.

Yes, I've just seen that! The command line utility seems to do the job
very well to.
Thanks to all who answered, handbrake is a great tool indeed.

[]'s
Marcelo