Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Erlend Clouston

Default Lost data

Greetings! Part of a very important file I was working on this evening
has vanished. (The other part remains visible.) A techie friend
speculates that I may have accidentally highlighted and then deleted the
vanished section. He says not to worry, as "it will be somewhere on your
hard disc." Hmm. Is there any simple way for a non-techie to test his
thesis?
Thanks for any simple advice.

- Erlend

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 06:07 AM, Erlend Clouston wrote:
> Greetings! Part of a very important file I was working on this evening
> has vanished. (The other part remains visible.) A techie friend
> speculates that I may have accidentally highlighted and then deleted the
> vanished section. He says not to worry, as "it will be somewhere on your
> hard disc." Hmm. Is there any simple way for a non-techie to test his
> thesis?
> Thanks for any simple advice.

What kind of file is it and what were you using to work on it?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Erlend Clouston

Thanks for your interest. It was an Open Office file produced on my
Ubuntu 10.04 system - if that helps. I lost about 1,200 words.
Best wishes - Erlend

Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Basil Chupin

On 16/09/2010 16:42, Erlend Clouston wrote:
> Thanks for your interest. It was an Open Office file produced on my
> Ubuntu 10.04 system - if that helps. I lost about 1,200 words.
> Best wishes - Erlend
>
> On 16/09/10 00:14, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 16, 2010 06:07 AM, Erlend Clouston wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings! Part of a very important file I was working on this evening
>>> has vanished. (The other part remains visible.) A techie friend
>>> speculates that I may have accidentally highlighted and then deleted the
>>> vanished section. He says not to worry, as "it will be somewhere on your
>>> hard disc." Hmm. Is there any simple way for a non-techie to test his
>>> thesis?
>>> Thanks for any simple advice.
>>>

>> What kind of file is it and what were you using to work on it?

Please avoid top-posting.

What do you have OO set to automatically make a copy of the document
which you are typing?

I always play it safe and save every minute.

BC