Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Alan Pope

Default 10.04.1 "partion not marked for formatting" during install

Hi Alan,

Oh dear. It seems the installer did part of its job, told you what it
was going to try and do, then did that.

QUOTE:
The file system on “/dev/md0” assigned to / has NOT been marked for
formatting. Directories containing system files (/etc, /lib, /usr,
/var, …) that already exits under any defined mountpoint will be
deleted during the install.
Please ensure that you have backed up any critical data before installing”
ENDQUOTE:

On 15 September 2010 19:17, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> And the f*cking thing deleted all my media that i had in /usr/share/media

Note '/usr/share/media' is under '/usr/ that it said it was going to delete.

> Even though I said not to format that drive.

It didn't format the drive.

> Oh well, back to the drawing board ...

Bummer. Tips for the future include:-

* Waiting for replies to questions before ploughing on.
* Not putting media in application folders (I'd have put media in
/home/my_user/fu, /media or /mnt or /srv, but not /usr/share, but I
guess you had some valid reason for doing that).
* Backing up first.

None of which helps you now, sorry

Maybe if you haven't done anything else destructive you could run
photorec to try to recover files?

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Alan McKay

> Oh dear. It seems the installer did part of its job, told you what it
> was going to try and do, then did that.

yeah, my own fault for being impatient, and fortunately no huge losses
there. I should have been more patient :-)

But at least now I know that it does this ...

I think the bigger issue is why it will not let me proceed and keeps
telling me this :

"The installer needs to remove operating system files from the install
target, but was unable to do so. The install cannot continue."

I don't want to have to do a complete reinstall

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"