Old 09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Alan McKay

Default 10.04.1 "partion not marked for formatting" during install

Hey folks,

I'm trying to recover a system that had 10.04 on it - got a kernel
panic and it will not boot.

So I download the latest live CD and try to do a manual install over
top of what is already the.

/boot is a RAID1
/ is a RAID10 (4 partitions)

I go into "Try Ubunutu", then from there install mdadm and start the
RAID arrays. I can see them at this point and all my data is there -
no problem.

But then I try to do the install (from the desktop of the live CD) and
of course do not want it to format partitions. It gives me this
warning, which suggests to me that it is going to erase a bunch of
stuff from my disks anyway!

QUOTE:
The file system on “/dev/md0” assigned to / has NOT been marked for
formatting. Directories containing system files (/etc, /lib, /usr,
/var, …) that already exits under any defined mountpoint will be
deleted during the install.
Please ensure that you have backed up any critical data before installing”
ENDQUOTE:

Is my data safe if I proceed? Why in the heck would it want to do
that? What exactly is it going to do?

thanks,
-Alan

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Alan McKay

Well it does not seem to matter because I went forward anyway and go
this error :

The installer needs to remove operating system files from the install
target, but was unable to do so. The install cannot continue.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Alan McKay

And the f*cking thing deleted all my media that i had in /usr/share/media

Nice.

Even though I said not to format that drive.

Oh well, back to the drawing board ...

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"