Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Tony Pursell

Default Trouble connecting to VNC Server

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 12:11 -0500, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I'm needing to access my machine from Windows XP. I've installed
> vnc4server and done the necessary configurations to get GNOME up as a
> session manager and allow me to log in. On the Windows machine, I've
> installed TightVNC and everything looked fine.
>
> I tried to connect to my Ubuntu machine from Windows and I am told
> "Connection Established" but that's as far as it goes. Never prompts
> me for a password, never shows a login, nothing.
>
> Any idea what might be going wrong?
>
> Thanks!
> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Papillion
> Lead Developer / Owner
> Advanced Data Concepts - "Enabling work anywhere"
> (918) 919-4624
>
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cajuntechie
> My Blog: http://www.cajuntechie.com

Hi Anthony

Have you allowed remote connections in System > Preferences > Remote
Desktop?

Tony

Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Anthony Papillion

> Have you allowed remote connections in System > Preferences > Remote
> Desktop?
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

Yep, made sure that was checked and even went back and told it not to
require a password just in case that was messing things up. Still just
sits there. I thought it might be a firewall issue but I'm able to
actually connect to the machine so that couldn't be it.

Could it be that I'm not attaching to the right desktop? The only
desktop currently running is :1, but do I need to specify that in my
connection? If so, I have no idea how to do that in TightVNC. Putting
ip_address:1 indicates port 1.

Thanks!
Anthony

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 10:11 AM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I'm needing to access my machine from Windows XP. I've installed
> vnc4server and done the necessary configurations to get GNOME up as a
> session manager and allow me to log in. On the Windows machine, I've
> installed TightVNC and everything looked fine.
>
> I tried to connect to my Ubuntu machine from Windows and I am told
> "Connection Established" but that's as far as it goes. Never prompts
> me for a password, never shows a login, nothing.
>
> Any idea what might be going wrong?

When you enabled the Remote Desktop option you enabled the vino server.
It's probably using your vnc ports (5900 & 5901) & conflicting with
vnc4server. They are both vnc server applications & default to the same
ports.

I think your options will be:

1. Remove vnc4server and just use vino (Remote Desktop) or vis a vis.
2. Configure vnc4server to use different ports (or vino to use different
ports).

These might be of help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Clients
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

This post indicates that you might need to change the TightVNC encoding
to CoRRE with vnc4server:
<http://kemovitra.blogspot.com/2009/05/remote-desktop-session-with-vnc4server.html>

Note: I use RealVNC or NoMachines NX for connecting from Windows to my
Gnome systems. RealVNC works w/o issue to vino. NX works extreemly well
but creates a separate desktop window unless you enable VNC mode & then
it slows down to VNC speeds/responses.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Dick Dowdell

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 09/15/2010 10:11 AM, Anthony Papillion wrote:

> Hey Everyone,

> I'm needing to access my machine from Windows XP. I've installed

> vnc4server and done the necessary configurations to get GNOME up as a

> session manager and allow me to log in. On the Windows machine, I've

> installed TightVNC and everything looked fine.

> I tried to connect to my Ubuntu machine from Windows and I am told

> "Connection Established" but that's as far as it goes. Never prompts

> me for a password, never shows a login, nothing.

> Any idea what might be going wrong?

When you enabled the Remote Desktop option you enabled the vino server.

It's probably using your vnc ports (5900 & 5901) & conflicting with

vnc4server. They are both vnc server applications & default to the same

ports.

I think your options will be:

1. Remove vnc4server and just use vino (Remote Desktop) or vis a vis.

2. Configure vnc4server to use different ports (or vino to use different

ports).

These might be of help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Clients

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

This post indicates that you might need to change the TightVNC encoding

to CoRRE with vnc4server:

<http://kemovitra.blogspot.com/2009/05/remote-desktop-session-with-vnc4server.html>

Note: I use RealVNC or NoMachines NX for connecting from Windows to my

Gnome systems. RealVNC works w/o issue to vino. NX works extreemly well

but creates a separate desktop window unless you enable VNC mode & then

it slows down to VNC speeds/responses.

I've just been through the same process with vnc4server and am now reasonably happy with the results. *I did uninstall the pre-installed remote desktop software that came with Ubuntu. *It was too slow and my viewer didn't refresh reliably. *You will, at least, need to make sure that the Remote Desktop Server is not running so you won't have a port conflict.

When you run vnc4server for the first time it creates some files in the .vnc directory within your home directory (it will also have you create a password). *One of the files is /home/<user>/.vnc/xstartup. *You'll need to edit that file. *The following is my edited copy:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrcexec /usr/bin/gnome-session

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresourcesxsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
gnome-session
The lines I added or changed are in red. *The first line I added starts up the Gnome Session Manager. *The remaining changes tell VNC4 to use the Gnome session.

After making these changes you can shut down vnc4server wirh:
vnc4server -kill :1

When you next start the server use:
vnc4server :1 -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24

The -geometry parameter is the width x height of the monitor you'll be viewing with and the -depth is the color depth (8, 16, 24, or 32). *The smaller the number, the fewer colors you'll get but the faster your connection will seem.

I use the free viewer from RealVNC and connect with the server's IP;1. *I'm then prompted for the password that I set when I first ran vnc4server.
When I access my Ubuntu machine from outside my LAN, I use SSH tunneling (PuTTY works fine on Windows).

I hope that this is useful.
Regards,Dick DowdellConsulting ArchitectActive Endpoints Inc.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Tim Henderson

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I'm needing to access my machine from Windows XP. I've installed
> vnc4server and done the necessary configurations to get GNOME up as a
> session manager and allow me to log in. On the Windows machine, I've
> installed TightVNC and everything looked fine.
>
> I tried to connect to my Ubuntu machine from Windows and I am told
> "Connection Established" but that's as far as it goes. Never prompts
> me for a password, never shows a login, nothing.
>
> Any idea what might be going wrong?
>
> Thanks!
> Anthony

Perhaps you need to setup port forwarding in your router. It really
depends on how your connecting though. I use x11vnc instead of
vnc4server, you may have better results with that...probablhy not
though. There's probably somethign else going on.

Did you by chance install and run firestarter? I know that will alter
your iptables to block all (mostly) ports until you open them up.

Good luck,

Tim H