Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Liam Proven

Default Does this system work optimal on Ubuntu?

On 15 September 2010 14:41, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 15 September 2010 12:41, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together with Ubuntu.
>>> What I've put together is the following:
>>> CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3
>>> Mainboard: ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
>>> RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)
>>> Grafikkort: 1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E
>>> Harddisk: 750GB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2
>>> Harddisk SSD: 40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail
>>> Kabinet: Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSU
>>> Strømforsyning: 500W Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm
>>> CPU Køler:Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT S-939/940
>>> Silent Kit: Silent opgradering Step 1 25dB
>>> DVD Drev: 48x16x Lite-On DVD Sort PATA
>>> Netkort Trådløst: Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCI
>>> Kortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort
>>> The store where I'm planning to order from has a neat component-select system, so here's a link to the system as well: http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95372
>>> The main things are in the first few lines I guess, CPU, Mainboard and Graphical card. So, if anybody has any bid on how to make this system better - very much appreciated.
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> Wouter
>>
>> It does not look bad at all, but the AMD chip is a rather low-end,
>> budget processor for a machine with 4GB of RAM, an SSD and a largish
>> hard disk. I would suggest looking at an Intel Core i5 and a suitable
>> motherboard, which should outperform the AMD chip by quite a large
>> margin.
>>
>> Core i3 are the budget low-end Intel chips now; Core i5 are midrange
>> and Core i7 are high-end. If you can afford it, the higher-end chips
>> use the LGA 1366 socket, which is a good thing if your budget permits.
>> It has a triple-channel memory interface whereas the lower-end chips
>> use an LGA1156 socket with just dual-channels to memory.
>>
>> AMD have, I fear, dropped the ball in terms of CPU performance these
>> days, and while some of their chips are good for budget systems, for
>> mid-range and high-end PCs, Intel comprehensively beat them.
> Liam,
> I tend to disagree. I'm running a system with AMD Phenom II 4-core, much
> like the one the OP, asks of a modest 2.8 Gb speed and it is actually at
> par if not slightly better than the Intel 4-cores. I suggest you to look
> at the bench marks in Tom's hardware (although all benchmarks are
> imperfect). At least in the Netherlands AMD gives a better performance
> for the bucks (euro's). But I agree that *an Athlon II is a little outdated.
> My 2 cents
> Joep

:¬)

Well, that's fair enough.

I don't tend to follow all the hardware sites that often any more. My
main source for guidance these days is Custom PC magazine here in the
UK, as I used to write the "Inside Linux" column for the mag in its
early years and they still send me a free contributors' subscription!

For instance:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/09/07/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-september-2010/3

CPC tests all the latest CPUs against each other constantly, and Intel
/always/ comes out on top and has done since the Core2 line came out.
The Corei3/5/7 line just increased the lead.

In the market for real budget chips, AMD still has some good products.
It took a strong lead when the "Sledgehammer" chips came out (Athlon64
& Opteron), but Core2 took the lead back and AMD has really had
nothing new since then.

Another example:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist/processor

(I was the staff technical writer for PC Pro magazine in the mid-1990s.)

I used to read Tom's H/W frequently in the early days, but its
insistence on splitting every article over 3,464,753 pages with no
single-page "print view" is very irritating, and sometimes I feel that
they add in pages and pages and pages and pages of graphs and tests
that show nothing useful or interesting, just to make the articles
longer and more impressive and to get more banner-ad revenues. (Not
from me - I run AdBlock+ on all my machines.)

Looking for an overall chart of CPU performance on Tom's, where of
course there are 457536 pages of results, I found this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/3DMark-Vantage-Overall-Performance,2416.html

I am not sure I trust an artificial benchmark such as 3DMark all that
much, but I note that all the top spots are Core i7, then half way
down, a 2.66GHz Core i5 (a midrange chip) beats an AMD Phenom II Black
Edition (a premium expensive overclockers' special) that is running at
3.4GHz.

Unless AMD has some radical architectural overhaul coming, it has lost
the race now, I'm afraid.

Lest I come across as some Intel fanboy, I'm not. My own home PC is an
AMD box and so was the one before that, and before that, then there
was an Intel Pentium II, and before that it was a Cyrix. :¬)

The Pentium 4 was a dreadful abomination, all the Celerons are, as is
the Atom and all the so-called "Pentium Dual Core" CPUs. But AMD
kicked Intel hard, right where it hurt, with Athlon64, and Intel woke
up and moved. After the humiliating climb-down of having to licence
AMD's 64-bit instruction set, I think it will be a long time before
Intel lets itself get overtaken like that again.

The Core processors were OK, the Core 2 was brilliant and the Core
i3/5/7 are better still.

AMD changed the direction of the whole PC industry for the better, but
I don't think it has the capability to do it again. The Fusion stuff
looks interesting but it is not enough.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2010 14:52, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you!

Ingen årsak!

> That's the kind of advice I'd like to hear, I couldn't find any current
> comparison articles between Intel and AMD - and the last time I kept track
> of what went on in the magical world of CPU's AMD was the one to go for
> But I have to admit, that was around the time Intel had their Celeron's on
> the market.

Sadly there are still Celerons out there. :¬(

> I am looking for the best thing, within a not too large budget - so I think
> I'll take your advice on the i5.
> So, this is the system I came up with:
> CPU:Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz 4MB S-1156Mainboard:ASUS P7H55-M/SI DDR3 mATX
> S-1156RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220
> G DI DDR2 PCI-EHarddisk:500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB SATA2Harddisk
> SSD:40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 RetailKabinet:Cooler Master Elite 310
> Orange/Sort u/PSUStrømforsyning:650W Energon EPS-650 120mmCPU Køler:Standard
> Intel KølerDVD Brænder:22x Samsung DVD/RW DL Sort SATANetkort
> Trådløst:Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCIKortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser
> sort
> Link:*http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95379

Lykkelig, jeg kan lese dansk, litt. ;¬) (Vel, faktisk, norsk, men...)

Looks good.

> And then I read Joep's message. Thanks for reminding me of TomsHardware.com
> - I had totally forgotten about that site

It is always good to have a broad spread of opinion!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Wouter van Vliet

On 15 September 2010 16:44, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 15 September 2010 14:52, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you!

Ingen årsak!

> That's the kind of advice I'd like to hear, I couldn't find any current

> comparison articles between Intel and AMD - and the last time I kept track

> of what went on in the magical world of CPU's AMD was the one to go for

> But I have to admit, that was around the time Intel had their Celeron's on

> the market.

Sadly there are still Celerons out there. :¬(

Seriously? That's just sad! Would be the same as Microsoft still trying to sell Windows ME :P

> I am looking for the best thing, within a not too large budget - so I think

> I'll take your advice on the i5.

> So, this is the system I came up with:

> CPU:Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz 4MB S-1156Mainboard:ASUS P7H55-M/SI DDR3 mATX

> S-1156RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220

> G DI DDR2 PCI-EHarddisk:500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB SATA2Harddisk

> SSD:40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 RetailKabinet:Cooler Master Elite 310

> Orange/Sort u/PSUStrømforsyning:650W Energon EPS-650 120mmCPU Køler:Standard

> Intel KølerDVD Brænder:22x Samsung DVD/RW DL Sort SATANetkort

> Trådløst:Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCIKortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser

> sort

> Link:*http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95379

Lykkelig, jeg kan lese dansk, litt. ;¬) (Vel, faktisk, norsk, men...)

Jo, Norsk og dansk er vel næsten det sammen.En voor Joep: Liam schreef dat ie Deens kan lezen, of eigenlijk Noors. Maar, zoals ik hierboven schreef, de talen zijn bijna hetzelfde.

For English readers: Use google translate

Looks good.

Then, unless anybody else suggests some really interesting changes, I think I've found my new system.*

> And then I read Joep's message. Thanks for reminding me of TomsHardware.com

> - I had totally forgotten about that site

It is always good to have a broad spread of opinion!

It is!
*

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
sdavmor

On 09/15/2010 06:41 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> [...]
>> systems, for mid-range and high-end PCs, Intel comprehensively
>> beat them.
>>
>> -- Liam Proven • Info& profile:
>> http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven Email: lproven@cix.co.uk •
>> GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 •
>> Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419 AIM/Yahoo/Skype:
>> liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508
>>
> Liam, I tend to disagree. I'm running a system with AMD Phenom II
> 4-core, much like the one the OP, asks of a modest 2.8 Gb speed and
> it is actually at par if not slightly better than the Intel
> 4-cores. I suggest you to look at the bench marks in Tom's hardware
> (although all benchmarks are imperfect). At least in the
> Netherlands AMD gives a better performance for the bucks (euro's).
> But I agree that an Athlon II is a little outdated. My 2 cents

Benchmarks are like statistics: you can get whatever you want out of
them. But even so I'll go +1 on Joep's comments. I run several AMD and
several icore boxes here. In the comparable processor ranges the AMDs
routinely outpunch their official opposite numbers. Not by anything
noticeable but factoring in the $ savings (AMDs are always less
expensive) they become better buys.

My personal Ubuntu desktop box is like Joep's setup. So I'll suggest
that Wouter upgrade his purchase from an Athlon to a Phenom CPU. It's
worth spending the extra money IMO. YMMV.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Wouter van Vliet wrote:

> [...]
> En voor Joep: Liam schreef dat ie Deens kan lezen, of eigenlijk Noors.
> Maar, zoals ik hierboven schreef, de talen zijn bijna hetzelfde.
> For English readers: Use google translate
>
> Looks good.
>

> Then, unless anybody else suggests some really interesting changes, I
> think I've found my new system.
>

> > And then I read Joep's message. Thanks for reminding me of
> TomsHardware.com
> > - I had totally forgotten about that site
>
> It is always good to have a broad spread of opinion!
>

> It is!
>

> --
> Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk <mailto:lproven@cix.co.uk> •
> GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com <mailto:lproven@gmail.com>
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419

To Liam: I agree that the top-end Intel systems are faster (i.e. can
perform more tasks in the same time) than the current AMD top-end models
but for price/performance I chose AMD and as you mention the current
direction AMD is taking (a.o. by buying a top graphic-card maker): that
is indeed very interesting and I also hope they'll succeed.
To sdavmor: pleased with your agreement. I started out in the old days
with the first intel 286 (in my department we programmed real-time
coding in machine-code and the higher level programs in FORTRAN) so I
have had my problems with Intel (but also with AMD: remember the K4?)
and the last 10 years I've only used AMD processors, I even have still a
K6 running (although as a hardware firewall and DNS-server ina diskless
station). SO yes, I think that price/performance wise your suggestion is
sound.
To Wouter: Je naam doet mij vermoeden dat je nederlands bent.
Greetings,
Joep

Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 01:41:38PM +0200, Wouter van Vliet wrote:
> I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain
> aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself
> updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together
> with Ubuntu.
>
> What I've put together is the following:
>
> CPU:AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3Mainboard:ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
> RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI

NVidia is not a good choice for an Ubuntu system. You're either using
the closed-source driver (assuming it works) and suffering from random
bugs/crashes, or you're using reverse-engineered open-source drivers
(assuming they work) and suffering from random bugs/crashes _and_ poor
performance.

AMD/ATI is somewhat better in that they're publishing the hardware specs
and developing open drivers, but if you get their latest cards, expect
the open drivers to be unavailable yet.

Intel is the best bet (if you avoid the rare closed chipset like the
Poulsbo) for optimal compatibility, but their video hardware isn't as
powerful. It's perfectly sufficient for fast desktop effects, though.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE... Command Line User Environment".
(seen in a posting in comp.software.testing)

Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 20:10 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 01:41:38PM +0200, Wouter van Vliet wrote:
> > I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain
> > aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself
> > updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together
> > with Ubuntu.
> >
> > What I've put together is the following:
> >
> > CPU:AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3Mainboard:ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
> > RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI
>
> NVidia is not a good choice for an Ubuntu system. You're either using
> the closed-source driver (assuming it works) and suffering from random
> bugs/crashes, or you're using reverse-engineered open-source drivers
> (assuming they work) and suffering from random bugs/crashes _and_ poor
> performance.
>
> AMD/ATI is somewhat better in that they're publishing the hardware specs
> and developing open drivers, but if you get their latest cards, expect
> the open drivers to be unavailable yet.
>
> Intel is the best bet (if you avoid the rare closed chipset like the
> Poulsbo) for optimal compatibility, but their video hardware isn't as
> powerful. It's perfectly sufficient for fast desktop effects, though.

I've never heard such reports from the gamer crowd. nVidia has the
longest running track record of actually working, for many years. For
me, nVidia has been the only choice for heavy industrial 3D
acceleration. Intel has been on the lowest rung for 3D performance, for
a long time, with ATI somewhere in between. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Wouter van Vliet

On 16 September 2010 20:30, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 20:10 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 01:41:38PM +0200, Wouter van Vliet wrote:

> > I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain

> > aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself

> > updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together

> > with Ubuntu.

> > What I've put together is the following:

> > CPU:AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3Mainboard:ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940

> > RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI

> NVidia is not a good choice for an Ubuntu system. *You're either using

> the closed-source driver (assuming it works) and suffering from random

> bugs/crashes, or you're using reverse-engineered open-source drivers

> (assuming they work) and suffering from random bugs/crashes _and_ poor

> performance.

> AMD/ATI is somewhat better in that they're publishing the hardware specs

> and developing open drivers, but if you get their latest cards, expect

> the open drivers to be unavailable yet.

> Intel is the best bet (if you avoid the rare closed chipset like the

> Poulsbo) for optimal compatibility, but their video hardware isn't as

> powerful. *It's perfectly sufficient for fast desktop effects, though.

I've never heard such reports from the gamer crowd. nVidia has the

longest running track record of actually working, for many years. For

me, nVidia has been the only choice for heavy industrial 3D

acceleration. Intel has been on the lowest rung for 3D performance, for

a long time, with ATI somewhere in between. Ric

I feel like I can't thank you guys enough, and I'm glad I asked. I myself am tempted to stay away from at least Intel video cards, due bad to experience with it on my Toshiba*Satellite with a*Mobile Intel 943GML Express. I've seen performance getting better of it with every new release of Ubuntu, but I still don't feel it works as it should.

But now I'm torn again, with mixed reports about both nVidia and Intel.
As for my usage, I'm not a gamer so I probably won't be needing all of the power of the video card. As a matter of fact, I'm a website developer - so the main thing for me is that the system is stable, very stable, that I can play in-browser video (yes, flash as well) without overheating my video card and can enjoy the Ubuntu's graphical effects to some degree. And of course it should run vi - but I don't think I could find a system which would have a problem with that.

Another thing is that it'd be nice to be able to run a windows system inside VirtualBox mainly to test for IE bugs in websites. Should I need to do some development in Adobe Flash - I can live with making it a dual boot.

Instead of the GeF GT220, I could imagine going for this one:*1024MB XFX ATI HD4550 DDR2 Silent PCI-E, if I can conclude that ATI can actually perform better and more stable on Ubuntu.

But can I?
So, update on how the system could currently look:
CPU: Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz 4MB S-1156

Mainboard: ASUS P7H55-M/SI DDR3 mATX S-1156RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)

Grafikkort Option X: 1024MB XFX ATI HD5670 775M DDR5 PCI-EGrafikkort Option Q: 1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E-296

Harddisk: 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB SATA2Harddisk SSD: 40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail

Kabinet: Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSUStrmforsyning: 650W Energon EPS-650 120mm

CPU Kler: Standard Intel KlerDVD Brnder: 22x Samsung DVD/RW DL Sort SATA

Netkort Trdlst: Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCIKortlser: All-in-1 Intern kortlser sort