Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Wouter van Vliet

Default Does this system work optimal on Ubuntu?

Hi All,
I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together with Ubuntu.

What I've put together is the following:*

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3Mainboard:
ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940RAM:
4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:
1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E
Harddisk:
750GB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2Harddisk SSD:
40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail
Kabinet:
Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSUStrømforsyning:
500W Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm
CPU Køler:Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT S-939/940
Silent Kit:
Silent opgradering Step 1 25dBDVD Drev:
48x16x Lite-On DVD Sort PATANetkort Trådløst:
Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCI
Kortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort

The store where I'm planning to order from has a neat component-select system, so here's a link to the system as well:*http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95372

The main things are in the first few lines I guess, CPU, Mainboard and Graphical card. So, if anybody has any bid on how to make this system better - very much appreciated.*
Thanks in advance!

Wouter

Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2010 12:41, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together with Ubuntu.
> What I've put together is the following:
> CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3
> Mainboard: ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
> RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)
> Grafikkort: 1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E
> Harddisk: 750GB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2
> Harddisk SSD: 40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail
> Kabinet: Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSU
> Strømforsyning: 500W Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm
> CPU Køler:Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT S-939/940
> Silent Kit: Silent opgradering Step 1 25dB
> DVD Drev: 48x16x Lite-On DVD Sort PATA
> Netkort Trådløst: Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCI
> Kortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort
> The store where I'm planning to order from has a neat component-select system, so here's a link to the system as well:Â*http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95372
> The main things are in the first few lines I guess, CPU, Mainboard and Graphical card. So, if anybody has any bid on how to make this system better - very much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
> Wouter

It does not look bad at all, but the AMD chip is a rather low-end,
budget processor for a machine with 4GB of RAM, an SSD and a largish
hard disk. I would suggest looking at an Intel Core i5 and a suitable
motherboard, which should outperform the AMD chip by quite a large
margin.

Core i3 are the budget low-end Intel chips now; Core i5 are midrange
and Core i7 are high-end. If you can afford it, the higher-end chips
use the LGA 1366 socket, which is a good thing if your budget permits.
It has a triple-channel memory interface whereas the lower-end chips
use an LGA1156 socket with just dual-channels to memory.

AMD have, I fear, dropped the ball in terms of CPU performance these
days, and while some of their chips are good for budget systems, for
mid-range and high-end PCs, Intel comprehensively beat them.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 15 September 2010 12:41, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together with Ubuntu.
>> What I've put together is the following:
>> CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3
>> Mainboard: ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
>> RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)
>> Grafikkort: 1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E
>> Harddisk: 750GB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2
>> Harddisk SSD: 40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail
>> Kabinet: Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSU
>> Strømforsyning: 500W Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm
>> CPU Køler:Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT S-939/940
>> Silent Kit: Silent opgradering Step 1 25dB
>> DVD Drev: 48x16x Lite-On DVD Sort PATA
>> Netkort Trådløst: Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCI
>> Kortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort
>> The store where I'm planning to order from has a neat component-select system, so here's a link to the system as well: http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95372
>> The main things are in the first few lines I guess, CPU, Mainboard and Graphical card. So, if anybody has any bid on how to make this system better - very much appreciated.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Wouter
>
> It does not look bad at all, but the AMD chip is a rather low-end,
> budget processor for a machine with 4GB of RAM, an SSD and a largish
> hard disk. I would suggest looking at an Intel Core i5 and a suitable
> motherboard, which should outperform the AMD chip by quite a large
> margin.
>
> Core i3 are the budget low-end Intel chips now; Core i5 are midrange
> and Core i7 are high-end. If you can afford it, the higher-end chips
> use the LGA 1366 socket, which is a good thing if your budget permits.
> It has a triple-channel memory interface whereas the lower-end chips
> use an LGA1156 socket with just dual-channels to memory.
>
> AMD have, I fear, dropped the ball in terms of CPU performance these
> days, and while some of their chips are good for budget systems, for
> mid-range and high-end PCs, Intel comprehensively beat them.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Liam,
I tend to disagree. I'm running a system with AMD Phenom II 4-core, much
like the one the OP, asks of a modest 2.8 Gb speed and it is actually at
par if not slightly better than the Intel 4-cores. I suggest you to look
at the bench marks in Tom's hardware (although all benchmarks are
imperfect). At least in the Netherlands AMD gives a better performance
for the bucks (euro's). But I agree that an Athlon II is a little outdated.
My 2 cents
Joep

Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Wouter van Vliet

Thank you!
*
It does not look bad at all, but the AMD chip is a rather low-end,

budget processor for a machine with 4GB of RAM, an SSD and a largish

hard disk. I would suggest looking at an Intel Core i5 and a suitable

motherboard, which should outperform the AMD chip by quite a large

margin.

That's the kind of advice I'd like to hear, I couldn't find any current comparison articles between Intel and AMD - and the last time I kept track of what went on in the magical world of CPU's AMD was the one to go for But I have to admit, that was around the time Intel had their Celeron's on the market.

*
Core i3 are the budget low-end Intel chips now; Core i5 are midrange

and Core i7 are high-end. If you can afford it, the higher-end chips

use the LGA 1366 socket, which is a good thing if your budget permits.

It has a triple-channel memory interface whereas the lower-end chips

use an LGA1156 socket with just dual-channels to memory.

I am looking for the best thing, within a not too large budget - so I think I'll take your advice on the i5.

So, this is the system I came up with:
CPU:Intel Core i5-650 3.20GHz 4MB S-1156Mainboard:ASUS P7H55-M/SI DDR3 mATX S-1156RAM:4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)Grafikkort:1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-EHarddisk:500GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16MB SATA2Harddisk SSD:40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 RetailKabinet:Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSUStrømforsyning:650W Energon EPS-650 120mmCPU Køler:Standard Intel KølerDVD Brænder:22x Samsung DVD/RW DL Sort SATANetkort Trådløst:Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCIKortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort

Link:*http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95379
And then I read Joep's message. Thanks for reminding me of TomsHardware.com - I had totally forgotten about that site