Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Problem defining the Samba workgroup

I'm running a Samba server on lucid. *I am attempting to define the workgroup as KAPPA_NET, but the server insists on using WORKGROUP.
/etc/samba/smb.conf shows that*
workgroup=KAPPA_NET
I've tried restarting both smbd and nmdb with
sudo service smbd restartsudo service nmdb restart
...and verified that both services stopped and restarted
Yet probing the LAN from either windows or lucid show that the server is on WORKGROUP
Also, running smbclient -L //127.0.0.1 from the server returns:
Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7] Sharename Type Comment ---------------- ------- -------------- print$ Disk Printer Drivers share Disk store1 Disk store2 Disk IPC$ IPC IPC Service (dumbledore sever Samba Ubuntu)) Officejet Printer HP Officejet 6500 e709nDomain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7] Sharename Type Comment ---------------- ------- --------------
Workgroup Master ---------------- --------- KAPPA_NET PS-B810 WORKGROUP DUMBLEDORE
Where PS-P810 is the name of a windows machine on the LAN that is a member of the workgroup KAPPA_NET and dumbledore is the name of the machine running Samba.
Why isn't the server reporting that is a member of KAPPA_NET?
Paul--

Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Ronald Artos

[...]

server string = ??

netbios name = ??

Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm running a Samba server on lucid. *I am attempting to define the
> workgroup as KAPPA_NET, but the server insists on using WORKGROUP.
> /etc/samba/smb.conf shows that
> workgroup=KAPPA_NET
> I've tried restarting both smbd and nmdb with
> sudo service smbd restart
> sudo service nmdb restart
> ...and verified that both services stopped and restarted
> Yet probing the LAN from either windows or lucid show that the server is on
> WORKGROUP

I've used your smb.conf in a vbox install and there was no sign of the
"workgroup" workgroup.

Do you have "workgroup" in a dns or dhcp setting that is somehow being
picked up as an smb workgroup?!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 02:47 AM, pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm running a Samba server on lucid. I am attempting to define the workgroup as KAPPA_NET, but the server insists on using WORKGROUP.
>

> /etc/samba/smb.conf shows that
>

> workgroup=KAPPA_NET

My smb.conf:
# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = mshome
(notice the spaces between the equal sign)
[snip]

> Yet probing the LAN from either windows or lucid show that the server is on WORKGROUP
>

> Also, running smbclient -L //127.0.0.1 from the server returns:
>

> Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
> Sharename Type Comment
> ---------------- ------- --------------
> print$ Disk Printer Drivers
> share Disk
> store1 Disk
> store2 Disk
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (dumbledore sever Samba Ubuntu))
> Officejet Printer HP Officejet 6500 e709n
> Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> ---------------- ------- --------------
>

> Workgroup Master
> ---------------- ---------
> KAPPA_NET PS-B810
> WORKGROUP DUMBLEDORE
>

> Where PS-P810 is the name of a windows machine on the LAN that is a member of the workgroup KAPPA_NET and dumbledore is the name of the machine running Samba.
>

> Why isn't the server reporting that is a member of KAPPA_NET?

Mine (I use MSHOME):
$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (gg2 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
tempdir Disk
tempdirgg Disk
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Server Comment
--------- -------
GG2 gg2 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
MSHOME GG2

Now, one other place to check:
$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost gg2.mshome
127.0.1.1 gg2

Notice the 127.0.0.1 line; I've added the workgroup setting (mshome).
Try modifying your hosts file to:
127.0.0.1 localhost dumbledore.kappa_net
Stop & restart samba & see if that does the trick.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Sort of what I'm trying to figure out...How can I tell?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> From: Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM,** wrote:
>>
>> I'm running a Samba server on lucid. *I am attempting to define the
>> workgroup as KAPPA_NET, but the server insists on using WORKGROUP.
>> /etc/samba/smb.conf shows that
>> workgroup=KAPPA_NET
>> I've tried restarting both smbd and nmdb with
>> sudo service smbd restart
>> sudo service nmdb restart
>> ...and verified that both services stopped and restarted
>> Yet probing the LAN from either windows or lucid show that the server is
>> on
>> WORKGROUP
>
> I've used your smb.conf in a vbox install and there was no sign of the
> "workgroup" workgroup.
>
> Do you have "workgroup" in a dns or dhcp setting that is somehow being
> picked up as an smb workgroup?!

> Sort of what I'm trying to figure out...How can I tell?

NoOp suggested that you add a dumbledore.kappa_net" entry to /etc/hosts.

I tried doing so with ".workgroup" with your smb.conf but my workgroup
was still ".kappa_net".

I always thought that you had a weird setup because you can run
"smbclient..." but "pdbedit..." fails so it's unclear to me how your
user is authenticating and what your user is authenticating against.

Furthermore, you have at least three non-standard entries in your smb.conf
domain master = no
logon home = \%25N\%25U
logon path = \%25N\%25Uprofile

These are usually without the "25" (which may be innocuous, I have no
idea what it to translates). I'm unsure whether they have an effect
since you have "; domain logons = yes" but you must have added them
for a reason.

You have
encrypt passwords = no
which will not work if you try to logon from a Win7 box - unless, I
assume, you mess around with the registry.

You have
restrict anonymous = no
which I think is incorrect because the rhs should be a number - AFAIK.

If "pdbedit..." was returning what it should, I would suggest using a
plain vanilla smb.conf, then trying it with just the workgroup changed
but...

One final thought, can you add your user to samba with "smbpasswd
-a..." and then run "pdbedit..."?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2010 10:05 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Sort of what I'm trying to figure out...How can I tell?
>>

> NoOp suggested that you add a dumbledore.kappa_net" entry to /etc/hosts.
>
> I tried doing so with ".workgroup" with your smb.conf but my workgroup
> was still ".kappa_net".

This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
laptop & it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
after editing 'workgroup = <name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd & networking -
logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.

The odd part was that I could pick it up with 'findsmb' from the other
Ubuntu machine:
$ findsmb

*=DMB
+=LMB
IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
192.168.4.xxx GG2 +[MSHOME] [Unix] [Samba 3.4.7]
192.168.4.xxx GG-LAPTOP +[LAPTOP] [Unix] [Samba 3.4.7]

I had changed the GG-LAPTOP from 'WORKGROUP' to the above 'LAPTOP', but
nautilus was still showing only 'WORKGROUP' until I rebooted at which
time it started showing 'LAPTOP'.

I suspect there is some cache'ing going on as from this machine I'm
showing GG-LAPTOP as belonging to both 'WORKGROUP' and 'LAPTOP':
====
$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
<snipped>
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Server Comment
--------- -------
GG2XP gg2 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LAPTOP GG-LAPTOP <==== new one here
MSHOME GG2
WORKGROUP GG-LAPTOP <==== old one still listed
====

I suspect that if I logout/login on this machine those will have
changed... let's switch users & see... Yep, switch to another user and
it's showing:

Server Comment
--------- -------
GG2XP gg2 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LAPTOP GG-LAPTOP
MSHOME GG2XP

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 10:05 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM, *<pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Sort of what I'm trying to figure out...How can I tell?
>>
>> NoOp suggested that you add a dumbledore.kappa_net" entry to /etc/hosts.
>>
>> I tried doing so with ".workgroup" with your smb.conf but my workgroup
>> was still ".kappa_net".
>
> This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
> laptop & it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
> after editing 'workgroup = <name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
> No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd & networking -
> logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
> domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.

I changed the "workgroup = " a few times without restarting either
smbd or nmbd and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" output the new workgroup
as the domain every time! Unexpectedly!

The new workgroup was also output after stopping and starting smbd and nmbd.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
NoOp

On 09/16/2010 07:00 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> NoOp suggested that you add a dumbledore.kappa_net" entry to /etc/hosts.
>>>
>>> I tried doing so with ".workgroup" with your smb.conf but my workgroup
>>> was still ".kappa_net".
>>
>> This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
>> laptop & it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
>> after editing 'workgroup = <name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
>> No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd & networking -
>> logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
>> domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.
>
> I changed the "workgroup = " a few times without restarting either
> smbd or nmbd and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" output the new workgroup
> as the domain every time! Unexpectedly!
>
> The new workgroup was also output after stopping and starting smbd and nmbd.

Were you checking from a remote machine, or just local?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that was using the laptop as the target
base (change domain/workgroup) and the desktop to see if the changes are
broadcast from the laptop to the desktop.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Traveller

On 17/09/2010 8:46, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 07:00 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
>>> laptop& it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
>>> after editing 'workgroup =<name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
>>> No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd& networking -
>>> logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
>>> domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.
>>
>> I changed the "workgroup = " a few times without restarting either
>> smbd or nmbd and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" output the new workgroup
>> as the domain every time! Unexpectedly!
>>
>> The new workgroup was also output after stopping and starting smbd and nmbd.
>>

> Were you checking from a remote machine, or just local?
>
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that was using the laptop as the target
> base (change domain/workgroup) and the desktop to see if the changes are
> broadcast from the laptop to the desktop.

I have been following this thread in an effort to learn about SAMBA
before trying to set it up myself. I'm still not certain I understand
all of what has been said here, but I came across this in another NG
(ubuntu.doc) and I wonder if it might be of assistance?

<quote>
I have really struggled with setting up samba as a domain controller and
it would have been a huge help to have the following information
available at
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-dc.html

Under step 7
Comment that rights need to be explicitly provided to the domain admins
group to allow the add machine script (and other admin functions) to work.
This is achieved by running

net rpc rights grant "YOURDOMAINDomain Admins"
SeMachineAccountPrivilege SePrintOperatorPrivilege SeAddUsersPrivilege
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege

(without this step adding a machine fails with message unknown user or
bad password)

Also step 8 is now WRONG In 10.04 you restart Samba by running

sudo restart smbd
sudo restart nmbd

NOT sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
</quote>

I'm a complete noob to this sort of thing, so I may be telling you
something you already know, but I thought I would offer it on the off
chance it might help.

Dave