Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Norman Silverstone

Default dual boot with 2 drives

About 3 years ago I set up a computer with 2 drives, one with Ubuntu and
the other with XP Pro and there was no problem in amending Grub so as to
be able to choose which drive to use. That machine has now died and I
want to do the same thing again but, as ever, Ubuntu has moved on and
what I did back then no longer applies. I have tried to find my way
around using Google but what I find seems to be beyond my abilities to
do or even understand.

I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
box on a pure XP machine.

I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.

Norman

Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2010 08:51, Norman Silverstone <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> About 3 years ago I set up a computer with 2 drives, one with Ubuntu and
> the other with XP Pro and there was no problem in amending Grub so as to
> be able to choose which drive to use. That machine has now died and I
> want to do the same thing again but, as ever, Ubuntu has moved on and
> what I did back then no longer applies. I have tried to find my way
> around using Google but what I find seems to be beyond my abilities to
> do or even understand.
>
> I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
> week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
> box on a pure XP machine.
>
> I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.

Fit hard disk 1, on its own. Install XP. Patch to current.

Fit hard disk 2, as secondary after HD1. Install Ubuntu 10.04. Use 3
partitions, no more, no less: one smallish one for root, one of 2GB
for swap, the rest for /home.

Re-fit old hard disk with Ubuntu on it as HD3. Extract whatever you
want from your old home directory into your new one. If necessary use
a LiveCD for this, so you can replace files that are in use.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Norman Silverstone

< Snip >

> > I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
> > week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
> > box on a pure XP machine.
> >
> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>
> Fit hard disk 1, on its own. Install XP. Patch to current.

What does patch to current mean, please.

> Fit hard disk 2, as secondary after HD1. Install Ubuntu 10.04. Use 3
> partitions, no more, no less: one smallish one for root, one of 2GB
> for swap, the rest for /home.
>
> Re-fit old hard disk with Ubuntu on it as HD3. Extract whatever you
> want from your old home directory into your new one. If necessary use
> a LiveCD for this, so you can replace files that are in use.

All this seems perfectly sensible and straightforward and well within my
capabilities, thanks. However, how I will I be able to choose which
system to boot from?

Norman

Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2010 14:25, Norman Silverstone <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> < Snip >
>> >
>> > I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
>> > week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
>> > box on a pure XP machine.
>> >
>> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
>> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
>> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
>> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>>
>> Fit hard disk 1, on its own. Install XP. Patch to current.
>
> What does patch to current mean, please.

Ah, right, sorry. I mean install the latest Service Pack, IE8, and run
Windows Update until it says no more updates are available. "Patch"
means "apply patches", as in, updates and hotfixes and so on, and
"current" means your system is at the current revision level, in other
words, there are no outstanding fixes or anything.

>> Fit hard disk 2, as secondary after HD1. Install Ubuntu 10.04. Use 3
>> partitions, no more, no less: one smallish one for root, one of 2GB
>> for swap, the rest for /home.
>>
>> Re-fit old hard disk with Ubuntu on it as HD3. Extract whatever you
>> want from your old home directory into your new one. If necessary use
>> a LiveCD for this, so you can replace files that are in use.
>
> All this seems perfectly sensible and straightforward and well within my
> capabilities, thanks. However, how I will I be able to choose which
> system to boot from?

Good stuff, and you're welcome!

When you install Ubuntu, it will install a boot loader on the first
hard disk. This little program is called GRUB2 and every time you
start the computer it will display a menu allowing you to choose which
operating system you want to boot.

But the key thing is that for this to happen, Ubuntu has to be
installed /after/ Windows. If you put Ubuntu on first, Windows removes
the bootloader and puts its own on, and that stops you booting Ubuntu.

It's also possible to do it by having the 2 HDs in the machine at
separate times, so that neither OS knows about the other, and using
the BIOS to choose which hard disk to boot from. Some people prefer it
this way; it seems clunkier to me, but your mileage may vary, as they
say.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 12:51 AM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> About 3 years ago I set up a computer with 2 drives, one with Ubuntu and
> the other with XP Pro and there was no problem in amending Grub so as to
> be able to choose which drive to use. That machine has now died and I
> want to do the same thing again but, as ever, Ubuntu has moved on and
> what I did back then no longer applies. I have tried to find my way
> around using Google but what I find seems to be beyond my abilities to
> do or even understand.
>
> I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
> week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
> box on a pure XP machine.
>
> I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.

Have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Norman Silverstone

> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>
> Have a look here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.

I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD. What I
am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.

Norman

Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 12:00 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

>> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
>> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
>> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
>> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>>
>> Have a look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.
>
> I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
> totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD.

The principals are the same.

> What I
> am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
> onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
> pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
> example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
> Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
> from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.

It still works that way.

I have multiple dual-boot machines w/Win on one drive & Ubuntu on the
other. Quite often I swap the drives in & out and never have a problem
with grub detecting the other drive after doing an grub-update. Biggest
problem that I have is modifying Win to work in the new/test machine if
it wasn't originally installed there, otherwise no issues.

If the Win drive was originally installed in that machine, plug it in &
in bios remember to keep the boot order to the ubuntu drive. If you run
into problems:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Derek Maciel

On 15 September 2010 15:00, Norman Silverstone <norman@littletank.org> wrote:

>> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
>> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
>> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
>> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>>
>> Have a look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.
>
> I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
> totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD. What I
> am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
> onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
> pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
> example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
> Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
> from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.
>
> Norman

Right, however, like Liam said, if you were to take your original
Ubuntu hard drive (Let's call it "Ubuntu Drive") and just put it in
the computer with your Windows Drive, then GRUB would not be installed
(in other words, you would have your Ubuntu drive in your computer but
it won't be "installed". Your computer will "ask" your Windows drive
what to boot into, and since GRUB wasn't installed, Windows will think
it's by itself and just boot into Windows as if Ubuntu isn't there.

So, whether you already have Windows working on your new computer or
have yet to install it, it will need to be installed first, on your
Windows drive. When it is installed (or if it already was), you can
install Ubuntu on your THIRD hard drive if you have one, or on a
seperate partition in your already existing Ubuntu drive. The act of
installing Ubuntu will enable you to switch between which operating
system to use. Then you can copy all your files from the Ubuntu
install already on your Ubuntu drive, and move them to your "new"
install, then delete the "old" partition.

OR, you could just put your Ubuntu drive in your computer (this is
assuming your second drive has GRUB installed). Edit your BIOS
settings to boot from your Ubuntu drive BEFORE your Windows drive. So
the boot order on my BIOS is:

HD1
CD-DVD Drive
Diskette Drive
USB Device

Just add your second hard drive before your first one. That will make
your computer boot from Ubuntu first. Then edit your
/boot/grub/grub.conf and add your Windows install in there.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2010 01:18 PM, Derek Maciel wrote:

>>> Have a look here:
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>>> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.
>>
>> I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
>> totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD. What I
>> am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
>> onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
>> pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
>> example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
>> Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
>> from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.
>>
>> Norman
>
> Right, however, like Liam said, if you were to take your original
> Ubuntu hard drive (Let's call it "Ubuntu Drive") and just put it in
> the computer with your Windows Drive, then GRUB would not be installed
> (in other words, you would have your Ubuntu drive in your computer but
> it won't be "installed". Your computer will "ask" your Windows drive
> what to boot into, and since GRUB wasn't installed, Windows will think
> it's by itself and just boot into Windows as if Ubuntu isn't there.

Umm... if Ununtu has been installed to a drive, and it is the only OS on
that drive, grub(1 or 2) is installed to _that_ drive. You only need to
tell bios which drive to boot from.

Drive1: Ubuntu (grub installed).
Bios points to boot from Drive1

Power down and temporarily disconnect Drive1.

Now add Drive2 and install WinXP. Boot & make sure it's working properly.

Power down and add Drive1 back. Boot to bios and tell bios to boot to
Drive1. Continue to boot to Drive1 and do 'sudo update-grub' and grub
will find Drive2 and add it to the grub menu.

Reboot to test; at the grub boot menu you should/will have boot options
for both Ubuntu and WinXP. Boot to XP and see if that is still working
properly, then boot to Ubuntu. I have 6 dual boot test cages with Ubuntu
on one drive, WinXP on the other drive installed on each that I swap in
and out of my test machines on a regular basis. This is one of them:
====
$ cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
...snips...

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-25-generic' --class ubuntu --class
gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c606c2a7-1fb1-403f-9b90-52f5f150340b
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic root=UUID=snipped ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-25-generic
}
...snips...

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)" {
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set snipped
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
...snipped...
====

and a grub1 grub.cfg from the same machine prior to converting to gru2 &
while it was still at grub1:
====
## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=snipped ro quiet
splash vga=773
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
quiet
...snips...

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
Debian ones
title Other operating systems:
root

# Non-linux OS on /dev/sdb1
title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
====

Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Norman Silverstone

Thank you each for your help, I think I now have the message, is this
correct:-

1. Power down computer, fix new drive into computer, connect up to MB
and disconnect existing drive with Ubuntu on it from the MB.

2. Install XP onto new drive in the usual way and check that it works.

3. Power down machine, re-connect the Ubuntu drive, check that the boot
order in the BIOS puts the Ubuntu drive first and switch on.

If this is all there is to it I will give it a go.

Norman