Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Shenli Zhu

Default How to disable repeat keys on some keys (not all keys)

Hi,

Sometimes when I release the key, it still repeat keys, I guess it's a
hardware problem. So I want to allow 4 direction keys(left, right, up,
down) to repeat, and disable others?

But keyboard preference only allow enable/disable repeat keys on all
keys. How to enable/disable some keys?

Environment: Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks!
Davy

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 04:36:16 Shenli Zhu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I release the key, it still repeat keys, I guess it's a
> hardware problem. So I want to allow 4 direction keys(left, right, up,
> down) to repeat, and disable others?
>
> But keyboard preference only allow enable/disable repeat keys on all
> keys. How to enable/disable some keys?

I can't answer your question about only having repeat enabled for some keys,
but I once had the same problem. It turned out to be a "Strawberry Jam
Problem" and it helped to disassemble the keyboard and clean it under the keys
:-)

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
NoOp

On 09/14/2010 07:36 PM, Shenli Zhu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I release the key, it still repeat keys, I guess it's a
> hardware problem. So I want to allow 4 direction keys(left, right, up,
> down) to repeat, and disable others?
>
> But keyboard preference only allow enable/disable repeat keys on all
> keys. How to enable/disable some keys?
>
> Environment: Ubuntu 10.04

Have a look through these to see if you can find a similar reported bug
& then add your specs to the bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev

Possibles:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/599316>
[keyboard starts repeating the last pressed key]
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/613395>
[keyboard starts repeating the last pressed key in Ubuntu 10.04.1 on
Dell Studio 1535]

Sometimes it also helps to review "fixed" bugs to see if any of the
suggestions in those may help:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bugs?field.searchtext=repeat&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.status%3Alist=FIXRELEASED&assi gnee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter =&field.bug_supervisor=&field.bug_commenter=&field .subscriber=&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY& field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.has_cve.used=&field.omit_dupes.used =&field.omit_dupes=on&field.affects_me.used=&field .has_patch.used=&field.has_branches.used=&field.ha s_branches=on&field.has_no_branches.used=&field.ha s_no_branches=on>

This is from a old 'fixed' thread & looks similar to what you want do to:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/39315/comments/125>
but I don't know if if will work with the current kernel.

And of course:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ubuntu+%2Bluci d+%2Bkeys+repeat&btnG=Google+Search>
(I see that you tried the Ubuntu forums).

Good luck as key repeat/bounce issues have been around forever.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:36:16AM +0800, Shenli Zhu wrote:
> Sometimes when I release the key, it still repeat keys, I guess it's a
> hardware problem. So I want to allow 4 direction keys(left, right, up,
> down) to repeat, and disable others?
>
> But keyboard preference only allow enable/disable repeat keys on all
> keys. How to enable/disable some keys?

You can enable/disable autorepeat for individual keys with

xset r keycode
xset -r keycode

Use xev to find out the keycodes of the keys you're interested in.

Marius Gedminas
--
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
"Roger Futter"

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:04 +0300, "Marius Gedminas" <marius@pov.lt>
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:36:16AM +0800, Shenli Zhu wrote:
> > Sometimes when I release the key, it still repeat keys, I guess it's a
> > hardware problem. So I want to allow 4 direction keys(left, right, up,
> > down) to repeat, and disable others?
> >
> > But keyboard preference only allow enable/disable repeat keys on all
> > keys. How to enable/disable some keys?
>
> You can enable/disable autorepeat for individual keys with
>
> xset r keycode
> xset -r keycode
>
> Use xev to find out the keycodes of the keys you're interested in.
>
> Marius Gedminas
> --
> If nothing else helps, read the documentation.

It just occurred to me that I had a similar problem, which was caused by
low battery in a wireless keyboard. Worth a check.

Roger F.
--
Roger Futter
rfutter@mailcan.com