Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Rashkae

Default umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Tony Arnold wrote:
> Everyone seems to have ignored my contribution to this thread. If I'm
> wrong just tell me, but please do not just ignore me.
>
> Andy, you might let us know what permissions you were expecting given
> the ACL you had set up on the directory.

>> I think the permissions are correct. The defaults in the ACL say a file
>> should get rwxrwxr-x but this is then AND'd with the default mask of rwx
>> giving rwx------
>>
>> Or am I missing something?

You're missing that the files he's copying have a permission of 600,
which is preserved when they are copied to the new folder. The ACL
therefore does not get AND'd with rwxrwxr-x as it would with default
mask, but rw--------, and therefore, doesn't work as wanted.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Andy Graybeal

On 09/14/2010 10:05 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> Tony Arnold wrote:
>> Everyone seems to have ignored my contribution to this thread. If I'm
>> wrong just tell me, but please do not just ignore me.
>>
>> Andy, you might let us know what permissions you were expecting given
>> the ACL you had set up on the directory.
>

>>> I think the permissions are correct. The defaults in the ACL say a file
>>> should get rwxrwxr-x but this is then AND'd with the default mask of rwx
>>> giving rwx------
>>>
>>> Or am I missing something?
>>>

> You're missing that the files he's copying have a permission of 600,
> which is preserved when they are copied to the new folder. The ACL
> therefore does not get AND'd with rwxrwxr-x as it would with default
> mask, but rw--------, and therefore, doesn't work as wanted.

Tony, I wasn't ignoring you, but I didn't know (as in I'm not smart
enough, yet) how to respond. You clearly understand these things more
than I do, I didn't know what to go with a response.
Please don't be offended, that wasn't my intention. I should have
thanked you and asked a question.

I would like to end up with the files looking like this:
-rw-rw-r--

This won't be a place where scripts or anything is stored, it's only for
data files (documents and spreadsheets mostly), so nothing will get
executed from this folder.

Obviously it would be nice when someone created folders they would look
like this:
drwxrwxr-x

I would like the files to inherit the group owner of the directory
(which I think i've accomplished, because it's working with both
nautilus and gnome-terminal, and i did this with setgid +s).

If there is another approach I should be taking, I'm open to it. This
is just how I imagined my workplace would be able to work together on
files, and people from the Finance team wouldn't be able to 'create,
edit, delete' the files belonging to the Tech team, and vice-versa. I
would like the ability for everyone to read everyone else's work.

You have to understand that I'm fairly new to this, and I thought that
this was a fairly popular way to work with files with groups of people
working together.

I'm having second thoughts and doubting myself. I'm also sorry for
asking poorly thought out and confusing questions. I keep reading the
ACL documentation, but I admit that it's hard for me to understand.

-Andy

Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Andy Graybeal

>> I would like the files to inherit the group owner of the directory
>> (which I think i've accomplished, because it's working with both
>> nautilus and gnome-terminal, and i did this with setgid +s).
>
> Yes, that's what setgid +s does.
I did understand something at least

>> If there is another approach I should be taking, I'm open to it. This
>> is just how I imagined my workplace would be able to work together on
>> files, and people from the Finance team wouldn't be able to 'create,
>> edit, delete' the files belonging to the Tech team, and vice-versa. I
>> would like the ability for everyone to read everyone else's work.
>
> So are all the users in the Finance team in a 'finance' group and
> similarly for the tech team users? And everyone in the Finance team can
> read/write any file created by any user in the Finance team, but only
> read file created by users in the Tech team (and vice versa)?

Yes; I'm in the tech group:
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ groups andy.graybeal
andy.graybeal : andy.graybeal adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape dip
video plugdev users fuse tech

And Nancie is in the finance group:
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ groups nancie.buerkel
nancie.buerkel : nancie.buerkel adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape dip
video plugdev users fuse finance
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$

Here are the ACL's on the tech folder:
andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop$ getfacl Tech/
# file: Tech/
# owner: root
# group: tech
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:mask::rwx
defaultther::r-x

andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop$

And here are the ACL's on the finance folder:
andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop$ getfacl Finance/
# file: Finance/
# owner: root
# group: finance
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:mask::rwx
defaultther::r-x

andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop$

> I'll do some more experimenting and see what I can come up with.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Let me know if you figure anything out. I'm still wondering if I should
be approaching this differently.

-Andy