Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Rashkae

Default umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Andy Graybeal wrote:
> This is a repeat question, I'm going to rephrase it a little and maybe
> I'll get a response this time around.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, metacity and nautilus, and linux terminal server
> (LTSP).
>
> My umask is set to 002 in my /etc/X11/Xsession.d.
> The filesystem has ACL's enabled.
> I have the folder set with setgid +s.
>
> The ACL's look like this:
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$ getfacl .
> # file: .
> # owner: root
> # group: tech
> # flags: -s-
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> other::r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::rwx
> default:mask::rwx
> defaultther::r-x
>
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$
>

> Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not inherit the
> ACL's properly?
> Here is an example of a file I copied from a jump drive:
>
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$ ls -lah cabling.txt
> -rwx------+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 2.8K 2010-07-28 20:40 cabling.txt
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$

Depends how you copy the file... in this case, it looks as though the
copy tried to preserve the traditional Posix permissions and therefore
ruined your mask. Was this copy done by nautilus? You need to copy
files wihout preserving their original attributes (at least,
permissions) if you want inheritance to work correctly.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Andy Graybeal

> Depends how you copy the file... in this case, it looks as though the
> copy tried to preserve the traditional Posix permissions and therefore
> ruined your mask. Was this copy done by nautilus? You need to copy
> files wihout preserving their original attributes (at least,
> permissions) if you want inheritance to work correctly.

I'm still processing what you said. The copy was done by nautilus. How
do I copy files without preserving their original attributes? I'm
sorry if this sounds like a lame question.

-Andy

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Andy Graybeal

On 09/14/2010 04:13 PM, Andy Graybeal wrote:

>> Depends how you copy the file... in this case, it looks as though the
>> copy tried to preserve the traditional Posix permissions and therefore
>> ruined your mask. Was this copy done by nautilus? You need to copy
>> files wihout preserving their original attributes (at least,
>> permissions) if you want inheritance to work correctly.
>>

> I'm still processing what you said. The copy was done by nautilus. How
> do I copy files without preserving their original attributes? I'm
> sorry if this sounds like a lame question.
>
> -Andy

To follow up.. I just copied a file from my home folder (which doesn't
have ACL's on it or anything) the file was set to a folder that does.
It kept the original attributes of the file.

The files original permissions were -rw-r-----, when i copied it, it
kept those permissions.

It does inherit the proper group though! yay for that.

Is there a way to do what I'm asking? .. or am I headed down a bad
direction?

-Andy

Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Rashkae

Andy Graybeal wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 04:13 PM, Andy Graybeal wrote:
>>> Depends how you copy the file... in this case, it looks as though the
>>> copy tried to preserve the traditional Posix permissions and therefore
>>> ruined your mask. Was this copy done by nautilus? You need to copy
>>> files wihout preserving their original attributes (at least,
>>> permissions) if you want inheritance to work correctly.
>>>
>> I'm still processing what you said. The copy was done by nautilus. How
>> do I copy files without preserving their original attributes? I'm
>> sorry if this sounds like a lame question.
>>
>> -Andy
>>
> To follow up.. I just copied a file from my home folder (which doesn't
> have ACL's on it or anything) the file was set to a folder that does.
> It kept the original attributes of the file.
>
> The files original permissions were -rw-r-----, when i copied it, it
> kept those permissions.
>
> It does inherit the proper group though! yay for that.
>
> Is there a way to do what I'm asking? .. or am I headed down a bad
> direction?

I don't think you're heading in a bad direction.. I just don't know how
to do it....

If you simply use a cp command in a shell, the ACL's inherit properly
(unless, of course, you add an option to preserve permissions). Alas, I
have no idea to to control whether or not the various GUI file managers
preserve file permissions on copy, and this is where your problems come
from. (It doesn't help that default ACL seem to be something not at all
understood by many linux users here.)

Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Andy Graybeal

> I don't think you're heading in a bad direction.. I just don't know how
> to do it....
>
> If you simply use a cp command in a shell, the ACL's inherit properly
> (unless, of course, you add an option to preserve permissions). Alas, I
> have no idea to to control whether or not the various GUI file managers
> preserve file permissions on copy, and this is where your problems come
> from. (It doesn't help that default ACL seem to be something not at all
> understood by many linux users here.)

Rashkae,
Get this, I just did this from gnome-terminal:

andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ touch milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ chmod g-w milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-r--r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ cp milkmandan /srv/Desktop/Tech/
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
-rw-r--r--+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 0 2010-09-14 17:28
/srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ getfacl /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# file: srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# owner: andy.graybeal
# group: tech
user::rw-
group::rwx #effective:r--
mask::r--
other::r--

So it does the same thing from gnome-terminal. I'll be the first to
admit, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thank you for your input.
-Andy

Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Rashkae

Andy Graybeal wrote:
>> I don't think you're heading in a bad direction.. I just don't know how
>> to do it....
>>
>> If you simply use a cp command in a shell, the ACL's inherit properly
>> (unless, of course, you add an option to preserve permissions). Alas, I
>> have no idea to to control whether or not the various GUI file managers
>> preserve file permissions on copy, and this is where your problems come
>> from. (It doesn't help that default ACL seem to be something not at all
>> understood by many linux users here.)
>>

> Rashkae,
> Get this, I just did this from gnome-terminal:
>
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ touch milkmandan
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ chmod g-w milkmandan
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
> -rw-r--r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ cp milkmandan /srv/Desktop/Tech/
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
> -rw-r--r--+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 0 2010-09-14 17:28
> /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
> andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ getfacl /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
> # owner: andy.graybeal
> # group: tech
> user::rw-
> group::rwx #effective:r--
> mask::r--
> other::r--
>

> So it does the same thing from gnome-terminal. I'll be the first to
> admit, I have no clue what I'm doing.
>
> Thank you for your input.
> -Andy

You're right,,, brain failure on my part.. by default, cp preserves the
mode.... arrgh... easy enough to fix, but I'm not sure how I would
achieve what you're trying to do.