Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
rikona

Default Indexed search tool for file content - txt, pdf, doc, spreadsheets, etc?

What indexed search tool(s) are available for Ubuntu? I'd like to be
able to search about 50-100 gigs of file content, perhaps as many as
500,000 files, including some quite large single files, with as many
file types as possible being indexed. Also would like to do moderately
sophisticated searches [nested and/or, quoted strings, proximity
search, etc] if possible. This would be needed to reduce the number of
hits with lots of info to search. I've used Beagle in the past and it
worked fairly well, and also recoll. Is Beagle available, or is there
a better/alternative search tool?

Thanks,

rikona

Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
NoOp

On 09/14/2010 10:57 AM, rikona wrote:
> What indexed search tool(s) are available for Ubuntu? I'd like to be
> able to search about 50-100 gigs of file content, perhaps as many as
> 500,000 files, including some quite large single files, with as many
> file types as possible being indexed. Also would like to do moderately
> sophisticated searches [nested and/or, quoted strings, proximity
> search, etc] if possible. This would be needed to reduce the number of
> hits with lots of info to search. I've used Beagle in the past and it
> worked fairly well, and also recoll. Is Beagle available, or is there
> a better/alternative search tool?

I use recoll.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/recoll

Beagle and Tracker suck up too many resources on my machines.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
rikona

Hello NoOp,

Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 12:10:02 PM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 09/14/2010 10:57 AM, rikona wrote:
>> What indexed search tool(s) are available for Ubuntu? I'd like to be
>> able to search about 50-100 gigs of file content, perhaps as many as
>> 500,000 files, including some quite large single files, with as many
>> file types as possible being indexed. Also would like to do moderately
>> sophisticated searches [nested and/or, quoted strings, proximity
>> search, etc] if possible. This would be needed to reduce the number of
>> hits with lots of info to search. I've used Beagle in the past and it
>> worked fairly well, and also recoll. Is Beagle available, or is there
>> a better/alternative search tool?

First, thanks for the reply...

N> I use recoll.
N> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/recoll

I have too, and worked with the developer to add more sophisticated
search capabilities to recoll.

N> Beagle and Tracker suck up too many resources on my machines.

Beagle does, especially initially with a very large amount of info to
index, or if you're adding/subtracting a lot incrementally. But you
have some control over indexing, and can make it more 'friendly' if
you don't need fast indexing in real time. I've not used tracker.

I use local content search a LOT, though, so for me it is worth it if
I can do good searches.

--

rikona