Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Jitender Kiraria

Default apt

what result should the following command display*" apt-file search X11/Xlib.h "
I used it and get no output on screen,,,,,,,,,The prompt just jumped on the nextline.

Anyway What is use of * the command **" apt-file search "*and what is it supposed to display as output in case command is successful
*and in case command fails???????????

thankyou!!!!!!
--
Jitu
9034317617

Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Jitender Kiraria wrote:
> what result should the following command display
> " apt-file search X11/Xlib.h "

On my machine this is the output:

ivtools-dev: /usr/include/IV-X11/Xlib.h
libghc6-x11-dev: /usr/lib/haskell-
packages/ghc6/lib/X11-1.5.0.0/ghc-6.12.1/Graphics/X11/Xlib.hi
libhugs-x11-bundled: /usr/lib/hugs/packages/X11/Graphics/X11/Xlib.hs
libroot5.18: /usr/lib/root/5.18/cint/include/X11/Xlib.h
libx11-dev: /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h

> I used it and get no output on screen,,,,,,,,,The prompt just jumped
> on the nextline.

I suppose, your apt-file data base isn't updated. Use the command

sudo apt-file update

and then try again.

> Anyway What is use of the command " apt-file search "
> and what is it supposed to display as output in case command is
> successful and in case command fails???????????

From "man apt-file":

| search
| Search in which package a file is included. A list of all packages
| containing the pattern pattern is returned.
|
| apt-file will only search for filenames, not directory names. This is
| due to the format of the Contents files it searches.

If it is successful it displays the package names which include the
requested file name and the entire path to a file. As you were trying to
compile a package from source, the missing include files are expected to
be found in the directory /usr/include/ and that's why I suggested
libx11-dev and not the other packages mentioned in the output above.

Nils

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM
xinyou yan

Hello everyone:

I use ubuntu 11.4 ,and want to update the software list.
Using the commander sudo apt-get update .

failed at

W: *法下载 bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_source_S ources
Hash *验和不符

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or
old ones used instead.

(
I come from china .
*法下载 : can't download
*验和不符:Checksum does not match:
)

thank you .

PS , I think the problem Software Sources . I didn't change anything
after installed it.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 00:01 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I use ubuntu 11.4 ,and want to update the software list.
> Using the commander sudo apt-get update .
>
> failed at
>
> W: *法下载 bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_source_S ources
> Hash *验和不符
>
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or
> old ones used instead.
>
> (
> I come from china .
> *法下载 : can't download
> *验和不符:Checksum does not match:
> )
>
> thank you .
>
> PS , I think the problem Software Sources . I didn't change anything
> after installed it.

Are you saying that you have your old software sources list
installed/re-copied back? The upgrade should have upgraded the usual
sources, but not necessarily private repos. Maybe a hand edit is in
order? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-20-2011, 01:11 AM
xinyou yan

I am not sure . I do the same thing in other network it works

I think it is the problem of network.
Because it said the checksum is wrong . Anyway . it fixs.

Thank you

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 AM
"David C. Curtis"

On 11-07-19 09:11 PM, xinyou yan wrote:
> I am not sure . I do the same thing in other network it works
>
> I think it is the problem of network.
> Because it said the checksum is wrong . Anyway . it fixs.

Yes, this is the standard message when the network fails during a
package upgrade.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/19/2011 08:38 PM, David C. Curtis wrote:
> On 11-07-19 09:11 PM, xinyou yan wrote:
>> I am not sure . I do the same thing in other network it works
>>
>> I think it is the problem of network.
>> Because it said the checksum is wrong . Anyway . it fixs.
>>

> Yes, this is the standard message when the network fails during a
> package upgrade.

Ambiguous. It's the standard message when checksums fail to checkout.
Not the standard message when network fails during a package upgrade.
Yes diagnostically you could sometimes point it back to a network
failure but it is not the standard message during a network failure. I
wish I could explain it a lot better but perhaps domino effect might be
a good explanation? Maybe somebody else could come up with something better.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 AM
"David C. Curtis"

I am not sure . I do the same thing in other network it works

I think it is the problem of network.
Because it said the checksum is wrong . Anyway . it fixs.

Yes, this is the standard message when the network fails during a
package upgrade.

Ambiguous. It's the standard message when checksums fail to checkout.
Not the standard message when network fails during a package upgrade.
Yes diagnostically you could sometimes point it back to a network
failure but it is not the standard message during a network failure. I
wish I could explain it a lot better but perhaps domino effect might be
a good explanation? Maybe somebody else could come up with something better.

Erm, I was refering to this, from the OP:

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or
old ones used instead.

Just reassuring the OP that his/her diagnosis of a network problem in a
susequent post was correct, 99% of the time it's a temporary network
failure as the repo servers are very reliable.

But I understand your issue.

Dave