Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Bill Taylor

Default umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

On 09/14/2010 07:47 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Andy Graybeal wrote:
>
>> Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not inherit
>> the ACL's properly?
>>

>> Is it because I copied it from a FAT file system? My jump drive is
>> probably FAT16.
>>
> While I'm not familiar with ACLs, I'm sure that FAT doesn't know
> anything about Linux permissions and therefore also not about ACLs.
>
> If you want to preserve Linux permissions, use tar to make an archive
> which keeps the Linux permissions. OTOH, I'm not so sure if tar can
> handle ACLs.
>

> Nils

I googled and Istill wish I knew what an ACL is.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Andy Graybeal

On 09/14/2010 08:47 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Andy Graybeal wrote:
>> Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not inherit
>> the ACL's properly?
>
>> Is it because I copied it from a FAT file system? My jump drive is
>> probably FAT16.
>
> While I'm not familiar with ACLs, I'm sure that FAT doesn't know
> anything about Linux permissions and therefore also not about ACLs.
>
> If you want to preserve Linux permissions, use tar to make an archive
> which keeps the Linux permissions. OTOH, I'm not so sure if tar can
> handle ACLs.
>

> Nils

Nils,
I understand that FAT doesn't recognize linux perms. I guess I imagined
that when I copied a file from a FAT filesystem (or any filesystem for
that matter) to a filesystem with ACL's enabled that it would inherit
the ACL's that I set the folder to be.

Also, I'm not trying to archive anything this way, some folks find it
useful to put files onto a jump drive to edit while they are away from
work and when they come back to work and put the files onto the file
server, the files don't inherit the ACLs set on the directories

I admit that I'm still green and don't quite grasp all of this.

Maybe a better question would be how do I get files that I copy into a
folder to inherit the folders permissions and set the group owner to the
group owner of the folder.

Thank you for your response!
-Andy

Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Andy Graybeal

> I googled and Istill wish I knew what an ACL is.

ACL = Access Control List

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

-Andy

Old 09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:57:35 -0500
Bill Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

> I googled and Istill wish I knew what an ACL is.

Take your pick:
cybe@WizardsTower:~$ dict acl
8 definitions found

Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Rashkae

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Derek Maciel wrote:
>> So the script in your Tech folder could do:
>> for file in *.*; do chown <some_user>:tech {file}; done
>>

>> This would change the owner of all the files in the current directory
>> to <some_user> in the tech group.
>
> Not exactly. You used "*.*" which would not apply to all files but only
> to those with names with a "." except those which start with a ".". And
> probably you wanted to write "$file" instead of "{file}". I think it
> would be easier to use the chown -R option for the current folder and it
> would really change all files, even recursively.
>
>> I'm just not sure what I should use for <some_user>.
>
> You could simply omit it - then the command would only change the group.
> That would make the command:
>
> chown -R :tech .
>
> And it would also avoid the problem of having possibly too many file
> names.

If you did have to go to scripting to fix the file permissions in this
case, changing the ownership is not really what you want. The problem
is the posix permissions, which work as a mask over ACL.