Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Nils Kassube

Default umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Andy Graybeal wrote:
> Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not inherit
> the ACL's properly?

> Is it because I copied it from a FAT file system? My jump drive is
> probably FAT16.

While I'm not familiar with ACLs, I'm sure that FAT doesn't know
anything about Linux permissions and therefore also not about ACLs.

If you want to preserve Linux permissions, use tar to make an archive
which keeps the Linux permissions. OTOH, I'm not so sure if tar can
handle ACLs.

Nils

Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Nils Kassube

Derek Maciel wrote:
> So the script in your Tech folder could do:
> for file in *.*; do chown <some_user>:tech {file}; done
>

> This would change the owner of all the files in the current directory
> to <some_user> in the tech group.

Not exactly. You used "*.*" which would not apply to all files but only
to those with names with a "." except those which start with a ".". And
probably you wanted to write "$file" instead of "{file}". I think it
would be easier to use the chown -R option for the current folder and it
would really change all files, even recursively.

> I'm just not sure what I should use for <some_user>.

You could simply omit it - then the command would only change the group.
That would make the command:

chown -R :tech .

And it would also avoid the problem of having possibly too many file
names.

Nils