Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default a question (or two) about vmbuilder in pre-maverick

i'm playing with the vmbuilder utility that's part of
python-vm-builder on a fully-updated pre-maverick system so a couple
questions.

first, is this the easiest way to create new VMs in maverick? i can
see other command line utils but vmbuilder seems like the easiest way
to go.

and second, i'm following along here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder

and experimenting with building a minimal VM, but about halfway down
that page, there's a section entitled "Packages caching," which i
obviously want to take advantage of given that i want to build more
than one machine, but that section talks about setting up an
apt proxy with:

$ sudo apt-get install apt-proxy

but i don't see any such package. can someone provide the recipe for
configuring package caching for vmbuilder before i get into creating
VMs? thanks.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

let me add a thing or two to my earlier post:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i'm playing with the vmbuilder utility that's part of
> python-vm-builder on a fully-updated pre-maverick system so a couple
> questions.
>
> first, is this the easiest way to create new VMs in maverick? i
> can see other command line utils but vmbuilder seems like the
> easiest way to go.
>
> and second, i'm following along here:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder
>
> and experimenting with building a minimal VM, but about halfway down
> that page, there's a section entitled "Packages caching," which i
> obviously want to take advantage of given that i want to build more
> than one machine, but that section talks about setting up an apt
> proxy with:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install apt-proxy
>
> but i don't see any such package. can someone provide the recipe
> for configuring package caching for vmbuilder before i get into
> creating VMs? thanks.

just to be a bit clearer, i *think* what i'm after is the following.
when i invoke "vmbuilder" to build a VM, the very first time, i will
obviously have to download all of the packages related to the
specified suite -- by default, "lucid."

what i'd like to specify is that, as the packages are downloaded,
they are automatically being cached in a location of *my* choice on
the local machine, so that i can keep vmbuilder-related packages
separate from any other package caching. so maybe specifying a
localhost directory name of ".../vm" or something like that. and when
i build a second machine, it will take advantage of those packages, of
course.

most of the web pages i've seen refer to the package "apt-proxy",
which doesn't appear to exist anymore, but i see something called
"apt-cacher-ng", which looks like it might be what i'm after. but my
first attempt suggests i have to create the local package mirror
first, and fill it with packages. i don't want to do that -- i want
all the caching done automatically, if that's possible.

surely this can't be hard, i just can't get a handle on how. thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Tim Frost

Robert,

I haven't used vmbuilder, but have used apt-proxy in the past.

In my case, I have used it in conjunction with VMWare virtual machines
that I was running, and the multiple systems that I run at home.

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 07:26 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm playing with the vmbuilder utility that's part of
> python-vm-builder on a fully-updated pre-maverick system so a couple
> questions.
>
> first, is this the easiest way to create new VMs in maverick? i can
> see other command line utils but vmbuilder seems like the easiest way
> to go.
>
> and second, i'm following along here:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder
>
> and experimenting with building a minimal VM, but about halfway down
> that page, there's a section entitled "Packages caching," which i
> obviously want to take advantage of given that i want to build more
> than one machine, but that section talks about setting up an
> apt proxy with:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install apt-proxy
>
> but i don't see any such package. can someone provide the recipe for
> configuring package caching for vmbuilder before i get into creating
> VMs? thanks.

as you have discovered, apt-proxy is not in the maverick repository.

You can use one of the alternatives that are available:
approx - caching proxy server for Debian archive files
apt-cacher - Caching proxy for Debian package and source files
apt-cacher-ng - caching proxy server for software repositories

I haven't used any of them, so have no idea which is likely to be best
for your situation.

To use any of these, you need to do two things:
1: Configure the program with the list of repositories that are
to be cached.

2: specify the correct port for that package in the --install-mirror
or --mirror options for vmbuilder, in place of 9999, which is the
port that apt-proxy used.

> rday

Tim

--