Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi

What exactly apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade do and when
should we use it.

Thanks

Kaushal

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> What exactly apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade do and when
> should we use it.

Hi,
apt-get update <-- update the package list
apt-get dist-upgrade <-- will upgrade installed packages and may
remove some if necessary.
apt-get upgrade <-- will upgrade installed packages without removing any

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 AM
mofaph

apt-get update** the server had one package named test-0.01.deb. Ten days or more was gone, the server now have a new version package named test-0.02.deb. And you want to use the latest version because it had some more features. Now, you can use apt-get update.

apt-get dis-upgrade** *We assume you use Ubuntu-10.04, and when October was comming, Ubuntu realease Ubuntu-10.10, and also you want to use latest version, you can use apt-get dist-upgrade.

Maybe I am wrong, but do think that's it.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 01:21 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> What exactly apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade do and when
>> should we use it.
>
> Hi,
> apt-get update<-- update the package list

Correct.

> apt-get dist-upgrade<-- will upgrade installed packages and may
> remove some if necessary.

Wrong. dist-upgrade stands for Distribution Upgrade which means not
installing the latest packages for a release but upgarding to the next
release.

> apt-get upgrade<-- will upgrade installed packages without removing any

That depends. It will ask to remove packages that are obsolete IIRC.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:56 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> What exactly apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade do and when
> should we use it.

apt-get update will get the latest list of packages available for your
release.

apt-get dist-upgrade is for upgrading to the NEXT release. On Ubuntu,
apt-get dist-upgrade has the potential to break your installation. On
the command line, you are to use do-release-upgrade if you wish to have
a trouble free upgrade (or so it is supposed to be)

If on Debian, apt-get dist-upgrade away! You will only have a chance to
do so every five years or so.

apt-get upgrade is what you want to install the latest versions of the
packages for your current release.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 01:23 PM, mofaph wrote:
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> We assume you use Ubuntu-10.04, and when October was comming,
> Ubuntu realease Ubuntu-10.10, and also you want to use latest version,
> you can use apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> Maybe I am wrong, but do think that's it.

You are and yet no in some cases. apt-get dist-upgrade might work. The
recommended command on Ubuntu is do-release-upgrade which has code in it
to work around circular dependencies and other cruft that drive apt crazy.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> apt-get dist-upgrade<-- will upgrade installed packages and may
>> remove some if necessary.
>
> Wrong. dist-upgrade stands for Distribution Upgrade which means not
> installing the latest packages for a release but upgarding to the next
> release.

upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all
packages currently installed
on the system from the sources enumerated in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Packages
currently installed with new versions available are
retrieved and upgraded; under no
circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or
packages not already
installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
currently installed packages that
cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of
another package will be
left at their current version. An update must be performed
first so that apt-get
knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of
upgrade, also intelligently
handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages; apt-get has a "smart"
conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade
the most important
packages at the expense of less important ones if
necessary. So, dist-upgrade
command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list
file contains a list of
locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
also apt_preferences(5)
for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for
individual packages.

(dist-upgrade will upgrade INSTALLED packages and REMOVE some if
necessary. That's why most people imply it to ONLY upgrade the distro.
It can be used for ordinary upgrade TOO).

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Christopher Chan

> dist-upgrade
> dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of
> upgrade, also intelligently
> handles changing dependencies with new versions of
> packages; apt-get has a "smart"
> conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade
> the most important
> packages at the expense of less important ones if
> necessary. So, dist-upgrade
> command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list
> file contains a list of
> locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
> also apt_preferences(5)
> for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for
> individual packages.
>
> (dist-upgrade will upgrade INSTALLED packages and REMOVE some if
> necessary. That's why most people imply it to ONLY upgrade the distro.
> It can be used for ordinary upgrade TOO).

Oh okay. I guess that is why an apt-get upgrade needs doing a few more
times sometimes then.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
NoOp

On 09/13/2010 09:56 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> What exactly apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade do and when
> should we use it.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/apt-get.8.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

Note: The comments in the last regarding 'apt-get dist-upgrade' are only
partially correct; the command will perform an upgrade to a newer
version only if the appropriate files (/etc/apt/sources.list), contains
references to a newer release package.

Also see:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/apt_preferences.5.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/sources.list.5.html