Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 AM
terry l

Default IRREGARDLESS

there is no such word!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 AM
"Deryl R. Doucette"

On 10-09-14 12:37 AM, terry l wrote:
> there is no such word!

tough. it should be.

--
Deryl R. Doucette

This e-mail and its attachments are intended only for the named
recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged and/or
confidential.
If you are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or any other use of the information,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this message, along with
your logs, without making a copy of any kind.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Steven Susbauer

terry l wrote:
> there is no such word!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

"The most frequently repeated remark about it is that 'there is no such
word.' There is such a word, however."

It's in Oxford too. Much like "ain't" people like to moan about it even
though they know the meaning.

Language changes. Deal.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 06:27:52AM -0500, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> terry l wrote:
> > there is no such word!
> >

> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
>
> "The most frequently repeated remark about it is that 'there is no such
> word.' There is such a word, however."
>
> It's in Oxford too. Much like "ain't" people like to moan about it even
> though they know the meaning.

The problem is rather that it doesn't mean anything other than
regardless so why bother with those two extra letters? :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Bill Taylor

On 09/14/2010 07:32 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 06:27:52AM -0500, Steven Susbauer wrote:
>
>> terry l wrote:
>>
>>> there is no such word!
>>>

>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
>>
>> "The most frequently repeated remark about it is that 'there is no such
>> word.' There is such a word, however."
>>
>> It's in Oxford too. Much like "ain't" people like to moan about it even
>> though they know the meaning.
>>

> The problem is rather that it doesn't mean anything other than
> regardless so why bother with those two extra letters? :-)

Well... In Texan it sounds so good. ;-)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Tom H

Why does this thread have to do with Ubuntu?!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
rikona

Hello Tom,

Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 6:05:57 AM, Tom wrote:

TH> Why does this thread have to do with Ubuntu?!

Perhaps a good candidate for the ubuntuOT list. :-)

--

rikona

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Derek Maciel

Exactly. I don't know why people mix "regardless" and "irregardless"
up, but it's like saying "I'm ununhappy."

Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Michael

On 09/14/2010 08:05 AM, Tom H wrote:
> Why does this thread have to do with Ubuntu?!

Irregardless of whether it has anything to do with Ubuntu or not, if you
don't like the thread, kill it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 08:05 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> Why does this thread have to do with Ubuntu?!
>
> Irregardless of whether it has anything to do with Ubuntu or not, if you
> don't like the thread, kill it. *

What nonsense! This is not a question of killing a thread or not. It
is a question of respecting the list's intent and respecting the other
list members.

Karl has been criticized (rightly) for blogging about his computer
rather than either asking for or giving Ubuntu technical help. Some
people discussing Ubuntu-related, non-technical issues have been asked
to move to the sounder list. But we now have to put up with some silly
discussion about "irregardless"!