Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Nils Kassube

Default HTK (a tool for speech recognition ) installation on Ubuntu 10.0.4

Jitender Kiraria wrote:
> I tried to install HTK (a Tool for Speech Recognition ) on Ubuntu
> 10.0.4 But I failed......If anyone has any idea about how I can
> resolve these errors ,,,,please,,,,,,,please,,,,,please help
> me,,,,,Its very urgent( for my Minor Project)........
> The errors are as follows........

> HGraf.c:73:77: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

The command

apt-file search X11/Xlib.h

tells me you need the package "libx11-dev".

> HGraf.c:74:23: error: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory

That's also in "libx11-dev".

> HGraf.c:75:21: error: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
> HGraf.c:77:27: error: X11/keysymdef.h: No such file or directory

These are in "x11proto-core-dev".

Maybe you need other -dev packages but that is not yet clear. I would
suggest that you install the package apt-file and use the command

sudo apt-file update

and then search for the missing files if the next make command complains
about missing files again.

Nils

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 20:42 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Jitender Kiraria wrote:
> > I tried to install HTK (a Tool for Speech Recognition ) on Ubuntu
> > 10.0.4 But I failed......If anyone has any idea about how I can
> > resolve these errors ,,,,please,,,,,,,please,,,,,please help
> > me,,,,,Its very urgent( for my Minor Project)........
> > The errors are as follows........
>
> > HGraf.c:73:77: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

It appears he's trying to build from a tarball, as a plain-jane apt-get
install would not require that, or would install the dependency if
actually needed. Just checked, HTK is not in the repo's I'm sub'ed to,
so he has little other choice than to compile. To do that, he will need
all the dev files that the script needs. I'm surprised that ./configure
didn't catch the missing lib files and report that lack. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Nils Kassube

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 20:42 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Jitender Kiraria wrote:
> > > I tried to install HTK (a Tool for Speech Recognition ) on
> > > Ubuntu 10.0.4 But I failed......If anyone has any idea about how
> > > I can resolve these errors ,,,,please,,,,,,,please,,,,,please
> > > help me,,,,,Its very urgent( for my Minor Project)........
> > > The errors are as follows........
> > >
> > > HGraf.c:73:77: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
>
> It appears he's trying to build from a tarball,

Yes, obviously - I didn't quote the make command …

> To do that, he will need all the dev files that the script needs.
> I'm surprised that ./configure didn't catch the missing lib files
> and report that lack. Ric

Well, some projects come without a ./configure and only have a Makefile.
Often there is at least a README file which explains which libraries are
needed but that doesn't help either because usually it doesn't mention
the -dev package names but only the name of the libraries. While the
names are similar, it may be difficult to find the correct package
anyway.

Just another thought: It would also be useful to install the package
checkinstall and then use the command

sudo checkinstall make install

as the final step to install the program. Then it is under control of
the package management and can be easily uninstalled if necessary.

Nils

Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 21:44 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:

> > It appears he's trying to build from a tarball,
>
> Yes, obviously - I didn't quote the make command …
>
> > To do that, he will need all the dev files that the script needs.
> > I'm surprised that ./configure didn't catch the missing lib files
> > and report that lack. Ric
>
> Well, some projects come without a ./configure and only have a Makefile.
> Often there is at least a README file which explains which libraries are
> needed but that doesn't help either because usually it doesn't mention
> the -dev package names but only the name of the libraries. While the
> names are similar, it may be difficult to find the correct package
> anyway.

There's a pile of text-to-speech programs listed but I'm not seeing much
speech recognition. Sphinx is listed, as a speech recognition system.
Transcriber is also listed to handle speech .wav files, but doesn't
mention that it will handle live speech input.

Good luck!! I'm sure what you are trying to do will be of benefit to
others. Ric

Linux user# 44256