Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Eero Volotinen

Default request for advice on recovering filesystem

2010/9/13 mp <mp@aktivix.org>:

> Due to what I think is a failing USB system (too little voltage perhaps)
> an external USB hard drive appeared to be unmounted and remounted about
> 5 times in a very short period of time - maybe less than 10 seconds -
> while music was playing from it, resulting in the file system getting
> mangled up.
>
> The disk then could not be mounted due to a bad superblock or inode.
>
> Stupidly I did not take this very serious and ran ext3.fsck with yes to
> repair as default and it completed successfully and I thought all was
> well, so didn't even keep the log/details.
>
> However, when then mounting the disk it appears empty in a file manager
> (and also "ls" in terminal returns nothing). But "df" tells me that the
> disk has the same amount of data as before (827GB or so).
>
> I am aware of this info and tools:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
> Am I missing something really useful/crucial?

dd_rescue and photorec

--
Eero

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
andy baxter

On 13/09/10 15:17, mp wrote:
> Due to what I think is a failing USB system (too little voltage perhaps)
> an external USB hard drive appeared to be unmounted and remounted about
> 5 times in a very short period of time - maybe less than 10 seconds -
> while music was playing from it, resulting in the file system getting
> mangled up.
>
> The disk then could not be mounted due to a bad superblock or inode.
>
> Stupidly I did not take this very serious and ran ext3.fsck with yes to
> repair as default and it completed successfully and I thought all was
> well, so didn't even keep the log/details.

I'm going to be helping mp with the data recovery (I know him IRL) and
just want to ask some supplementary questions.

- does anyone know what fsck.ext3 is likely to have done to try and fix
the disk when run as above, and how this is likely to affect the
repairability? I'm hoping that large portions of the original directory
tree may still be intact on the disk but no longer linked to the root
directory, and thus recoverable using something like debugfs.
- to mp - is most of your collection in mp3, ogg or a mixture? I know
that many file formats have a characteristic header which we might be
able to search for and recover the listenable file at least albeit
without the proper file name.

andy

Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Christopher Chan

> I'm going to be helping mp with the data recovery (I know him IRL) and
> just want to ask some supplementary questions.

/me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?

photorec will pull whatever uncorrupted files off whether the directory
tree is intact or not. Don't bother trying to fix the directory.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
andy baxter

On 14/09/10 00:42, Christopher Chan wrote:
> /me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?

Sorry - it was just my way of saying I had some more specific questions
he hadn't asked.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 07:49 AM, andy baxter wrote:
> On 14/09/10 00:42, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> /me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?
>>

> Sorry - it was just my way of saying I had some more specific questions
> he hadn't asked.

No need to say sorry. I was just curious. That is why I said 'some
people'...maybe there are those who treat it like some virtual world
experience.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, September 14, 2010 01:42, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> I'm going to be helping mp with the data recovery (I know him IRL) and
>> just want to ask some supplementary questions.
>>

> /me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?

Sorry, are you saying that you're *not* an NPC?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 09:43 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Tue, September 14, 2010 01:42, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to be helping mp with the data recovery (I know him IRL) and
>>> just want to ask some supplementary questions.
>>>

>> /me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?
>
> Sorry, are you saying that you're *not* an NPC?

Oh certainly not. I am an event organiser.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 07:23 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> >> /me blinks. Oh, so ubuntu-users is like an online game for some people?
> >
> > Sorry, are you saying that you're *not* an NPC?
> >

> Oh certainly not. I am an event organiser.

Ah, the "pivot man". Ric

Linux user# 44256