FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

A user has a Grundig G9007SB monitor, which by experimentation I
discovered has 1280x1024 resolution. This seems to be an Israeli-only
model and I can find no info about it online. Is there a way to find
out the native resolution from the OS? I know that some monitors
report their supported resolutions, where can I read this info from?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Yorvyk
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:40:53 +0200
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> A user has a Grundig G9007SB monitor, which by experimentation I
> discovered has 1280x1024 resolution. This seems to be an Israeli-only
> model and I can find no info about it online. Is there a way to find
> out the native resolution from the OS? I know that some monitors
> report their supported resolutions, where can I read this info from?
>
> Thanks.
>
I’ve been using read-edid from the repos, with varying success.

http://polypux.org/projects/read-edid/


--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Brian
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

On Mon 13 Sep 2010 at 15:40:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I know that some monitors
> report their supported resolutions, where can I read this info from?

xrandr. There is a '+' against the preferred mode.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

Thanks for the tips, but I didn't get to use them. This fish got away!

Just for the record, an Ubuntu 10.04 fresh install on this machine had
terrible font hinting in Google Chrome after a few hours use, even at
the native resolution. In Windows it looked fine. After fiddling with
it for some time and extensive googling, I could not find a solution.
The problem only seemed to affect Chrome, Firefox was fine. I even
wiped the user's home directory, which solved the problem, but it
cropped up the next day. Back to Windows he was!


--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
NoOp
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

On 09/27/2010 02:40 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, but I didn't get to use them. This fish got away!
>
> Just for the record, an Ubuntu 10.04 fresh install on this machine had
> terrible font hinting in Google Chrome after a few hours use, even at
> the native resolution. In Windows it looked fine. After fiddling with
> it for some time and extensive googling, I could not find a solution.
> The problem only seemed to affect Chrome, Firefox was fine. I even
> wiped the user's home directory, which solved the problem, but it
> cropped up the next day. Back to Windows he was!
>
>

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=Google+Chrome+%2Bfont+hi nting&btnG=Search>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
NoOp
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

On 09/27/2010 03:21 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/27/2010 02:40 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Thanks for the tips, but I didn't get to use them. This fish got away!
>>
>> Just for the record, an Ubuntu 10.04 fresh install on this machine had
>> terrible font hinting in Google Chrome after a few hours use, even at
>> the native resolution. In Windows it looked fine. After fiddling with
>> it for some time and extensive googling, I could not find a solution.
>> The problem only seemed to affect Chrome, Firefox was fine. I even
>> wiped the user's home directory, which solved the problem, but it
>> cropped up the next day. Back to Windows he was!
>>
>>
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=Google+Chrome+%2Bfont+hi nting&btnG=Search>

Sorry, forgot to add:
<http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=29871>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to find LCD monitor native resolution?

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:38, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=Google+Chrome+%2Bfont+hi nting&btnG=Search>
>
> Sorry, forgot to add:
> <http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=29871>
>

Thanks. Of course I did read that.


--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org