Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Tim Frost

Default Creating 2nd admin

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 14:16 +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> To create 2nd user with root privilege, is this enough?
>
> usermod -G admin 2ndroot

This may not be what you want, because that command, as specified, will
REPLACE the list of groups with JUST the admin group.

On my system running Ubuntu 10.04, the graphical user admin tool adds an
administrator to 3 groups (admin,lpadmin and sambashare). So the
following should give full administrator access to 2ndroot:
usermod -a -G admin,lpadmin,sambashare 2ndroot

The '-a' option instructs usermod to append those groups to the list
that 2ndroot is a member of, rather than replacing the existing list.

> I notice the 1st user has more groups.

Yes. Ubuntu controls access to some system facilities and features by
checking whether the user is a member of the appropriate group. The
obvious case is that the sudo command is restricted to members of group
admin, on a default Ubuntu install. However, other groups are used to
control access to media (membership of group floppy or group cdrom for
instance), and the other administrative groups control access to aspects
of printer administration and samba share management.

> Thanks.

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
David Fletcher

On Monday 13 Sep 2010, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> To create 2nd user with root privilege, is this enough?
>
> usermod -G admin 2ndroot
>
> I notice the 1st user has more groups.
>
> Thanks.

I needed to do this a couple of days ago. I just used a text editor
on /etc/group and added the user name to the admin line. Seems to work OK for
me. I'm not sure what the adm line is but I added it there too.

Dave

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> usermod -G admin 2ndroot
>
> This may not be what you want, because that command, as specified, will
> REPLACE the list of groups with JUST the admin group.
>
> On my system running Ubuntu 10.04, the graphical user admin tool adds an
> administrator to 3 groups (admin,lpadmin and sambashare). *So the
> following should give full administrator access to 2ndroot:
> *usermod -a -G admin,lpadmin,sambashare 2ndroot
>
> The '-a' option instructs usermod to append those groups to the list
> that 2ndroot is a member of, rather than replacing the existing list.

Thank you Tim for the explanation. That clears it ^^

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 13.09.2010, 10:06 +0100 schrieb David Fletcher:
> On Monday 13 Sep 2010, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > To create 2nd user with root privilege, is this enough?
> >
> > usermod -G admin 2ndroot
> >
> > I notice the 1st user has more groups.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I needed to do this a couple of days ago. I just used a text editor
> on /etc/group and added the user name to the admin line. Seems to work OK for
> me. I'm not sure what the adm line is but I added it there too.
adm is for reading logs (ls- l /var/log)

you can easily just use adduser to add an existing user to a group btw

sudo adduser 2ndroot admin

will do that for you ...

ciao
oli

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Paul Sladen

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> To create 2nd user with root privilege, is this enough?

Add the user:

System->Administration->Users and Groups; Add ...

Allow the user Administrator rights:

Advanced Settings; User Privileges; [tick] Administer the system

-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three. Somewhere, GB.