Old 09-13-2010, 04:33 AM
NoOp

Default Terminal cache

I notice on Maverick that when I reboot the terminal cache is no longer
available (open termininal & use up arrow to use cached commands).
Anyone else experiencing the same?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 09:33:07PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> I notice on Maverick that when I reboot the terminal cache is no longer
> available (open termininal & use up arrow to use cached commands).

You mean bash history.

> Anyone else experiencing the same?

I've had some fun failures in the area, mostly caused by a root-owned
.bash_history in my home directory (a side-effect of too much sudo'ing,
I suppose).

Marius Gedminas
--
1 + 1 = 3
-- from a Microsoft advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
NoOp

On 09/12/2010 10:40 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 09:33:07PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> I notice on Maverick that when I reboot the terminal cache is no longer
>> available (open termininal & use up arrow to use cached commands).
>
> You mean bash history.

Yes. Thanks for the correction :-)

>> Anyone else experiencing the same?
>
> I've had some fun failures in the area, mostly caused by a root-owned
> .bash_history in my home directory (a side-effect of too much sudo'ing,
> I suppose).
>
> Marius Gedminas

Ah. That gives me something to search on today, thanks.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=ubuntu+%2Bmaverick+%2Bba sh_history&btnG=Search>

Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 10:40 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 09:33:07PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>> I notice on Maverick that when I reboot the terminal cache is no longer
>>> available (open termininal & use up arrow to use cached commands).
>>
>> You mean bash history.
>
> Yes. Thanks for the correction :-)

Check bash_logout. Is it there? Does it have a "clear_console" line?

I have a recent 10.10 (clean) install where my bash history is not
owned by root and where there is no default bash_logout. No help form
me basically...

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM
NoOp

On 09/13/2010 08:58 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean bash history.
>>
>> Yes. Thanks for the correction :-)
>
> Check bash_logout. Is it there? Does it have a "clear_console" line?
>
> I have a recent 10.10 (clean) install where my bash history is not
> owned by root and where there is no default bash_logout. No help form
> me basically...

I've both bash_history & bash_logout. Just as Marius, I see that
.bash_history is owned by root. chown set it right... thanks guys.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/13/2010 08:58 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> Yes. Thanks for the correction :-)
>>
>> Check bash_logout. Is it there? Does it have a "clear_console" line?
>>
>> I have a recent 10.10 (clean) install where my bash history is not
>> owned by root and where there is no default bash_logout. No help form
>> me basically...
>
> I've both bash_history & bash_logout. Just as Marius, I see that
> .bash_history is owned by root. chown set it right... thanks guys.

My "clear_console" was silly; it just clears the screen. Should've
asked about history deletion...

I've just done two Mav VBox installs - live cd and alternate cd -
without this ownership problem. What do you install after a plain
vanilla Mav is up and running? (Files aren't chown'd out of the blue -
unless Ubuntu is turning into OS X and we'll have to run a "fix
permissions" script from time to time from now on!)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
NoOp

On 09/13/2010 04:02 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I've both bash_history & bash_logout. Just as Marius, I see that
>> .bash_history is owned by root. chown set it right... thanks guys.
>
> My "clear_console" was silly; it just clears the screen. Should've
> asked about history deletion...
>
> I've just done two Mav VBox installs - live cd and alternate cd -
> without this ownership problem. What do you install after a plain
> vanilla Mav is up and running? (Files aren't chown'd out of the blue -
> unless Ubuntu is turning into OS X and we'll have to run a "fix
> permissions" script from time to time from now on!)

The problem machine is a simple test install, but it did use Mav Alpha
initially, so maybe it was an earlier issue that I just didn't notice
until recently. The only thing that was added was acroread and nvidia-96
& nvidia-settings (I was trying to test nvidia-96 - doesn't work). So
I'm unsure how/why the bash_history got set to root.

I've a Mav Beta on another machine, again for testing, and that one
doesn't have the permission issue. However, on that machine I upgraded
it from a vanilla/test 10.04.