FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

I started this process about 4 hours ago and it is currently "hung" on "Configuring dbus", the last message is the "system user 'messagebus' already exists. Exiting." With about 19 minutes remaining.* Checking top, init and evolution-data seems to be "railing" the processor with the upgrade process being in this state now for over 20 minutes.









Any ideas on how to complete the process without ending up with a crashed system?* Control-C is responsive in the upgrade window but it warns about ending up with a crashed system as well.







In the
past I have done a Ubuntu istribution upgrade in the past, notably 6.06 LTS to
8.04 LTS and it worked flawlessly.* 8.04 LTS to 10.04 is conspicuously
totally borked. Every problem I had in attempting this upgrade and
checked against Google, someone else had experienced, there are bug reports filed and more than a
few, people had attempted to fix on their own. I wouldn't even want to guess how many
hours people have spent trying to fix a failed 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade.*
And I followed the process at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades Network upgrade for
Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended) and then following the 8.04 10.04.* I have
spent no less than over 6 hours on this effort.* I would not recommend
that anyone attempt this at home.* I think dbus is the primary culprit
in the process but a lot of operations failed which I had to control-c
to get beyond but in the end, I tried a number of fixes but they all
failed in about the same sequence of events, starting with dbus.*
Between the OpenOffice 3.2 that I have registered the bug on and this
issue, I have serious concerns about 10.04 and recommending it to others, at least as an upgrade path. Incidentally, I do run on my main
laptop which has hung on boot more than a couple times in a text screen where I have learned to just reboot
and all is well until the next time.* 10.04 LTS was suppose to just
work, after all it is a Long Term Release, more stable that than the interim releases.



As I wrote before, this is not a troll but just relaying my experience, be advised of the potential pitfalls in the Ubuntu Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 and make sure you have a back up before attempting.* Fortunately, I had taken an image before starting and restored it so this computer is back to 8.04 LTS and I didn't loose anything.











--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

From: Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>









Subject: Re: Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

























On 09/12/2010 02:42 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
I started this process about 4 hours ago and it is currently
"hung" on "Configuring dbus", the last message is the "system user
'messagebus' already exists. Exiting." With about 19 minutes
remaining.* Checking top, init and evolution-data seems to be "railing"
the processor with the upgrade process being in this state now for over
20 minutes.





















Any ideas on how to complete the process without ending up with a
crashed system?* Control-C is responsive in the upgrade window but it
warns about ending up with a crashed system as well.











In the past I have
done a Ubuntu istribution upgrade in the past, notably 6.06 LTS to 8.04
LTS and it worked flawlessly.* 8.04 LTS to 10.04 is conspicuously
totally borked. Every problem I had in attempting this upgrade and
checked against Google, someone else had experienced, there are bug
reports filed and more than a few, people had attempted to fix on their
own. I wouldn't even want to guess how many hours people have spent
trying to fix a failed 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade.* And I followed the
process at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades Network
upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended) and then following the 8.04
10.04.* I have spent no less than over 6 hours on this effort.* I would
not recommend that anyone attempt this at home.* I think dbus is the
primary culprit in the process but a lot of operations failed which I
had to control-c to get beyond but in the end, I tried a number of
fixes but they all failed in about the same sequence of events,
starting with dbus.* Between the OpenOffice 3.2 that I have registered
the bug on and this issue, I have serious concerns about 10.04 and
recommending it to others, at least as an upgrade path. Incidentally, I
do run on my main laptop which has hung on boot more than a couple
times in a text screen where I have learned to just reboot and all is
well until the next time.* 10.04 LTS was suppose to just work, after
all it is a Long Term Release, more stable that than the interim
releases.











As I wrote before, this is not a troll but just relaying my experience,
be advised of the potential pitfalls in the Ubuntu Upgrade from 8.04
LTS to 10.04 and make sure you have a back up before attempting.*
Fortunately, I had taken an image before starting and restored it so
this computer is back to 8.04 LTS and I didn't loose anything.





























>Thanks for your clear writing and showing how hard the 8.04 to
10.04 upgrade is. I think many people have had a problem with this.
Like you I see others say it was no problem. So hard to tell what is
going on.







Thanks Karl for you comment here.* I think that people who have had "no problem" probably had clean system built from only the Ubuntu main repositories (no partner or non-free were used).









>I suggest if possible make a new partition and load 10.04LTS in it.
When it is perfect then transfer your 8.04 directories you want to the
10.04 system. It doesn't take long to do.









This is not an option as there is no space to available to this plus there is over 30 GB of stuff on this 40 GB drive.* I really needed the update to work and preserve all the settings on this system.


































--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Derek Maciel
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

I've never been able to upgrade Ubuntu =(. So, I've learned that it's
a lot easier for me to instead install the new version from scratch on
another partition (but it's a lot easier on a new drive entirely), and
copy over the files I need to the upgraded install.

I've tried to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 8.10 to 9.10 and both of those
upgrades have failed for me.

On 12 September 2010 16:42, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> I started this process about 4 hours ago and it is currently "hung" on
> "Configuring dbus", the last message is the "system user 'messagebus'
> already exists. Exiting." With about 19 minutes remaining.* Checking top,
> init and evolution-data seems to be "railing" the processor with the upgrade
> process being in this state now for over 20 minutes.
>
> Any ideas on how to complete the process without ending up with a crashed
> system?* Control-C is responsive in the upgrade window but it warns about
> ending up with a crashed system as well.
>
> In the past I have done a Ubuntu istribution upgrade in the past, notably
> 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS and it worked flawlessly.* 8.04 LTS to 10.04 is
> conspicuously totally borked. Every problem I had in attempting this upgrade
> and checked against Google, someone else had experienced, there are bug
> reports filed and more than a few, people had attempted to fix on their own.
> I wouldn't even want to guess how many hours people have spent trying to fix
> a failed 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade.* And I followed the process at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades Network upgrade for Ubuntu
> Desktops (Recommended) and then following the 8.04 10.04.* I have spent no
> less than over 6 hours on this effort.* I would not recommend that anyone
> attempt this at home.* I think dbus is the primary culprit in the process
> but a lot of operations failed which I had to control-c to get beyond but in
> the end, I tried a number of fixes but they all failed in about the same
> sequence of events, starting with dbus.* Between the OpenOffice 3.2 that I
> have registered the bug on and this issue, I have serious concerns about
> 10.04 and recommending it to others, at least as an upgrade path.
> Incidentally, I do run on my main laptop which has hung on boot more than a
> couple times in a text screen where I have learned to just reboot and all is
> well until the next time.* 10.04 LTS was suppose to just work, after all it
> is a Long Term Release, more stable that than the interim releases.
>
> As I wrote before, this is not a troll but just relaying my experience, be
> advised of the potential pitfalls in the Ubuntu Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
> 10.04 and make sure you have a back up before attempting.* Fortunately, I
> had taken an image before starting and restored it so this computer is back
> to 8.04 LTS and I didn't loose anything.
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 18:00 -0400, Derek Maciel wrote:
> I've never been able to upgrade Ubuntu =(. So, I've learned that it's
> a lot easier for me to instead install the new version from scratch on
> another partition (but it's a lot easier on a new drive entirely), and
> copy over the files I need to the upgraded install.
>
> I've tried to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 8.10 to 9.10 and both of those
> upgrades have failed for me.

Lots of people reply with complete success using upgrades. I plan for
the worse, back up what I consider important and, at that point, I just
cleanly install. No major surprises, everything pretty much works out of
the box. I think it's faster than an upgrade, myself. Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On Monday, September 13, 2010 06:00 AM, Derek Maciel wrote:
> I've never been able to upgrade Ubuntu =(. So, I've learned that it's
> a lot easier for me to instead install the new version from scratch on
> another partition (but it's a lot easier on a new drive entirely), and
> copy over the files I need to the upgraded install.
>
> I've tried to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 8.10 to 9.10 and both of those
> upgrades have failed for me.

I have not had these completely fail on me (did 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04)
but I have stopped at 9.04...got the jitters with Karmic (9.10). LTS ->
LTS release should usually work fine though...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Liam Proven
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On 12 September 2010 22:09, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> This is not an option as there is no space to available to this plus there
> is over 30 GB of stuff on this 40 GB drive.* I really needed the update to
> work and preserve all the settings on this system.

Backup all your stuff, then boot from a live CD, mount the hard disk,
and delete everything on it except /home and its contents. Be careful
not to delete the /home folder.

Ideally, then, so you don't have the problem again, shrink /home a bit
and make a separate filesystem, ideally before /home on the disk, for
/ (the root filesystem). This is much preferable and now you've
experienced why.

When you reinstall, tell the installer to use the /home volume for
/home and (VERY important) *NOT* to format it. It will pick up all
your existing settings and customisations - you'll just have to
reinstall any programs you've added by hand.

--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 AM
chris
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 07:43 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Monday, September 13, 2010 06:00 AM, Derek Maciel wrote:
> > I've never been able to upgrade Ubuntu =(. So, I've learned that it's
> > a lot easier for me to instead install the new version from scratch on
> > another partition (but it's a lot easier on a new drive entirely), and
> > copy over the files I need to the upgraded install.
> >
> > I've tried to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 8.10 to 9.10 and both of those
> > upgrades have failed for me.
>
> I have not had these completely fail on me (did 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04)
> but I have stopped at 9.04...got the jitters with Karmic (9.10). LTS ->
> LTS release should usually work fine though...
>

They haven't for me, on three separate machines in different parts of
the country. Every online upgrade borked, generally with issues
involving network manager, grub, firefox, and others that I did not
bother to triage.

--
Just my 2c's worth
Cheers the kiwi


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Derek Maciel
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

I've seen people create a seperate partition for /home but I never
really knew why. The way you explain it wants me to install Ubuntu
again and try it out ^.^

If I have my / partition formatted as ext4, can I make my /home
partition as something else? That way I can access /home in Windows
XP.

On 12 September 2010 20:03, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 September 2010 22:09, *<clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
>> This is not an option as there is no space to available to this plus there
>> is over 30 GB of stuff on this 40 GB drive.* I really needed the update to
>> work and preserve all the settings on this system.
>
> Backup all your stuff, then boot from a live CD, mount the hard disk,
> and delete everything on it except /home and its contents. Be careful
> not to delete the /home folder.
>
> Ideally, then, so you don't have the problem again, shrink /home a bit
> and make a separate filesystem, ideally before /home on the disk, for
> / (the root filesystem). This is much preferable and now you've
> experienced why.
>
> When you reinstall, tell the installer to use the /home volume for
> /home and (VERY important) *NOT* to format it. It will pick up all
> your existing settings and customisations - you'll just have to
> reinstall any programs you've added by hand.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On Monday, September 13, 2010 08:12 AM, chris wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 07:43 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Monday, September 13, 2010 06:00 AM, Derek Maciel wrote:
>>> I've never been able to upgrade Ubuntu =(. So, I've learned that it's
>>> a lot easier for me to instead install the new version from scratch on
>>> another partition (but it's a lot easier on a new drive entirely), and
>>> copy over the files I need to the upgraded install.
>>>
>>> I've tried to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 8.10 to 9.10 and both of those
>>> upgrades have failed for me.
>>
>> I have not had these completely fail on me (did 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04)
>> but I have stopped at 9.04...got the jitters with Karmic (9.10). LTS ->
>> LTS release should usually work fine though...
>>
>
> They haven't for me, on three separate machines in different parts of
> the country. Every online upgrade borked, generally with issues
> involving network manager, grub, firefox, and others that I did not
> bother to triage.
>

Heh. Nuked network manager from the VERY start. Yeah, the reluctance to
switch to Karmic is partly because of the iffy migration from grub to
grub2. But I guess I will have to bite the bullet one day and go through
Karmic and then to Lucid.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On 13/09/2010 06:42, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> I started this process about 4 hours ago and it is currently "hung" on
> "Configuring dbus", the last message is the "system user 'messagebus'
> already exists. Exiting." With about 19 minutes remaining. Checking
> top, init and evolution-data seems to be "railing" the processor with
> the upgrade process being in this state now for over 20 minutes.
>
> Any ideas on how to complete the process without ending up with a
> crashed system? Control-C is responsive in the upgrade window but it
> warns about ending up with a crashed system as well.
>
> In the past I have done a Ubuntu istribution upgrade in the past,
> notably 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS and it worked flawlessly. 8.04 LTS to
> 10.04 is conspicuously totally borked.

Here is what the documentation for Ubuntu states regarding updrades -
did you read it?

QUOTE

An upgrade is the process of going from an earlier version of Ubuntu to
a newer version of Ubuntu with an installed system. An example of this
would be going from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. To avoid damaging
your running system, upgrading should only be done from one release to
the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from one LTS
release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If you wish
to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh
installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version. For
example, to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10, first upgrade to
9.04, then upgrade 9.04 to 9.10.


UNQUOTE

BC


--
Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org