FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Steven Susbauer
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On 9/11/2010 8:15 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf. When I start up OO Writer, it does
> recover the file only to crash on the next save. OO 3.2 on Fedora 13
> does not crash when performing the same operation. I have had to install
> Abiword as a work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or
> cause an application crash. No, I am not going to report the bug through
> Launch Pad because it is not simple and I assume that since I have
> duplicated this crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I
> know it can be duplicated by the powers that be and fixed. Not being
> able to save an rich text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be
> cause not to recommend or use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.
> This is not a troll but a serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and
> using OO Writer. It needs to be fixed.

Launchpad is exactly where you should report it, so the powers that be
can attempt to duplicate it and get it fixed. This is a support list,
not a bug report list.

It appears this bug may be the same as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/556169, in
which case adding information is in your best interest as it is about to
be closed again.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Justin Gruenberg
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf.* When I start up OO Writer, it does recover
> the file only to crash on the next save.* OO 3.2 on Fedora 13 does not crash
> when performing the same operation.* I have had to install Abiword as a
> work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or cause an
> application crash.* No, I am not going to report the bug through Launch Pad
> because it is not simple and I assume that since I have duplicated this
> crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I know it can be
> duplicated by the powers that be and fixed.* Not being able to save an rich
> text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be cause not to recommend or
> use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.* This is not a troll but a
> serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and using OO Writer.* It needs to
> be fixed.


This is not the place to report bugs. The majority of users on this
list are not developers, and won't fix it. For any developers on this
list, they probably will ignore this since they have enough on their
plate and this isn't in their normal workflow. If this is such a
serious issue, report it on launchpad.

You should include some extra info in your bug report, too. Is this
every .doc file opened and saved as a .rtf? What program created the
.doc? Can you make a simple test case .doc that crashes OO.o which
should work?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 AM
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

That was easy since Launchpad knows me. I have confirmed the bug as still being present, on 32 bit platforms.





Thanks for the link to the bug report.



-----Original Message-----










From: Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com>


To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com


Sent: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 7:36 pm


Subject: Re: Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer














On 9/11/2010 8:15 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf. When I start up OO Writer, it does
> recover the file only to crash on the next save. OO 3.2 on Fedora 13
> does not crash when performing the same operation. I have had to install
> Abiword as a work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or
> cause an application crash. No, I am not going to report the bug through
> Launch Pad because it is not simple and I assume that since I have
> duplicated this crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I
> know it can be duplicated by the powers that be and fixed. Not being
> able to save an rich text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be
> cause not to recommend or use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.
> This is not a troll but a serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and
> using OO Writer. It needs to be fixed.

Launchpad is exactly where you should report it, so the powers that be
can attempt to duplicate it and get it fixed. This is a support list,
not a bug report list.

It appears this bug may be the same as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/556169, in
which case adding information is in your best interest as it is about to
be closed again.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users








--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 AM
C de-Avillez
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:37:30 -0400
Justin Gruenberg <justin.gruenberg@gmail.com> wrote:

(Using Justin's response as a shortcut)

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> > Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes
> > when saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf.* When I start up OO Writer, it
> > does recover the file only to crash on the next save.* OO 3.2 on
> > Fedora 13 does not crash when performing the same operation.* I
> > have had to install Abiword as a work-around for something that
> > shouldn't be a problem or cause an application crash.* No, I am
> > not going to report the bug through Launch Pad because it is not
> > simple and I assume that since I have duplicated this crash on
> > three different computers running 10.04, so I know it can be
> > duplicated by the powers that be and fixed.* Not being able to
> > save an rich text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be
> > cause not to recommend or use 10.04 if a person needs this
> > capability.* This is not a troll but a serious report of a serious
> > bug in 10.04 and using OO Writer.* It needs to be fixed.

Why? If you are not even willing to report it on the Ubuntu bug
tracking system (a.k.a. launchpad), why would you expect it to be
fixed? If it is serious, it deserves a bug report. Otherwise, I am
afraid, it is just a troll, no matter what you say.

> This is not the place to report bugs. The majority of users on this
> list are not developers, and won't fix it. For any developers on
> this list, they probably will ignore this since they have enough on
> their plate and this isn't in their normal workflow. If this is
> such a serious issue, report it on launchpad.

Indeed, correct on *all* points.

> You should include some extra info in your bug report, too. Is this
> every .doc file opened and saved as a .rtf? What program created the
> .doc? Can you make a simple test case .doc that crashes OO.o which
> should work?

This would be fantastic. Having a clear error report, with steps to
reproduce, and/or an example test case, would make the bug report much
more easier to work on. Full version strings, please. "Oracle splash
screen" does not really pinpoint the OO version ('dpkg -l openoffice*
| egrep ^ii' gets it, as does opening the bug via 'ubuntu-bug
openoffice.org-writer'. In fact, using 'ubuntu-bug' is the preferred
way to open a bug report).

Cheers,
--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Tony Pursell
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 21:52 -0400, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> That was easy since Launchpad knows me. I have confirmed the bug as
> still being present, on 32 bit platforms.
>
> Thanks for the link to the bug report.
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
>
> From: Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Sent: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 7:36 pm
> Subject: Re: Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer
>
> On 9/11/2010 8:15 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> > Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> > saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf. When I start up OO Writer, it does
> > recover the file only to crash on the next save. OO 3.2 on Fedora 13
> > does not crash when performing the same operation. I have had to install
> > Abiword as a work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or
> > cause an application crash. No, I am not going to report the bug through
> > Launch Pad because it is not simple and I assume that since I have
> > duplicated this crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I
> > know it can be duplicated by the powers that be and fixed. Not being
> > able to save an rich text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be
> > cause not to recommend or use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.
> > This is not a troll but a serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and
> > using OO Writer. It needs to be fixed.
>
> Launchpad is exactly where you should report it, so the powers that be
> can attempt to duplicate it and get it fixed. This is a support list,
> not a bug report list.
>
> It appears this bug may be the same as
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/556169, in
> which case adding information is in your best interest as it is about to
> be closed again.
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

I have reproduced this bug with OOo version 3.2.0 in Ubuntu 10:04. It
required a large, complex 97/2000/XP .doc to give the problem.

However, I re-tested with the same file using OOo version 3.2.1 in
Ubuntu 10:10 Beta (running in Oracle VM Virtualbox) and it saved as RTF
without crashing. So it appears that the bug is fixed.

Tony




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM
NoOp
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On 09/11/2010 06:52 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> That was easy since Launchpad knows me. I have confirmed the bug as still being present, on 32 bit platforms.
>
> Thanks for the link to the bug report.
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
>
>
> From: Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Sent: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 7:36 pm
> Subject: Re: Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer
>
>
> On 9/11/2010 8:15 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
>> Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
>> saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf. When I start up OO Writer, it does
>> recover the file only to crash on the next save. OO 3.2 on Fedora 13
>> does not crash when performing the same operation. I have had to install
>> Abiword as a work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or
>> cause an application crash. No, I am not going to report the bug through
>> Launch Pad because it is not simple and I assume that since I have
>> duplicated this crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I
>> know it can be duplicated by the powers that be and fixed. Not being
>> able to save an rich text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be
>> cause not to recommend or use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.
>> This is not a troll but a serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and
>> using OO Writer. It needs to be fixed.
>
> Launchpad is exactly where you should report it, so the powers that be
> can attempt to duplicate it and get it fixed. This is a support list,
> not a bug report list.
>
> It appears this bug may be the same as
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/556169, in
> which case adding information is in your best interest as it is about to
> be closed again.
>
>

I cannot reproduce on the current 3.2.1.4 of (U)OOo. See if you can
reproduce with the test document that I added to the bug report.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
NoOp
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On 09/12/2010 07:54 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
...
>
> I have reproduced this bug with OOo version 3.2.0 in Ubuntu 10:04. It
> required a large, complex 97/2000/XP .doc to give the problem.
>
> However, I re-tested with the same file using OOo version 3.2.1 in
> Ubuntu 10:10 Beta (running in Oracle VM Virtualbox) and it saved as RTF
> without crashing. So it appears that the bug is fixed.

Tony, you can install 3.2.1 in 10.04 - just enable the proposed
repositories and update OOo. You can then turn the proposed repositories
back off if you don't want to use any other proposed packages.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
NoOp
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On 09/12/2010 08:12 AM, NoOp wrote:
...
>
> I cannot reproduce on the current 3.2.1.4 of (U)OOo. See if you can
> reproduce with the test document that I added to the bug report.

Correction: I forgot that I always run packages from the 'proposed'
repo's & that's what I'd used for testing. I've added that comment to
the but.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On 12 September 2010 02:15, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf.* When I start up OO Writer, it does recover
> the file only to crash on the next save.* OO 3.2 on Fedora 13 does not crash
> when performing the same operation.* I have had to install Abiword as a
> work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or cause an
> application crash.* No, I am not going to report the bug through Launch Pad
> because it is not simple and I assume that since I have duplicated this
> crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I know it can be
> duplicated by the powers that be and fixed.* Not being able to save an rich
> text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be cause not to recommend or
> use 10.04 if a person needs this capability.* This is not a troll but a
> serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and using OO Writer.* It needs to
> be fixed.

It might help if you can attach an affected document. I have just
tried this - fired up OpenOffice Writer 3.2.0, opened a Word for
Windows .DOC file, saved it as RTF and it worked fine.

--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Tony Pursell
 
Default Serious Bug in Lucid Lynx OpenOffice Writer

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 16:59 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 12 September 2010 02:15, <clintin@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> > Ubuntu 10.04 OpenOffice Writer 3.2 (Oracle splash screen) crashes when
> > saving a WindowsXP.doc in rtf. When I start up OO Writer, it does recover
> > the file only to crash on the next save. OO 3.2 on Fedora 13 does not crash
> > when performing the same operation. I have had to install Abiword as a
> > work-around for something that shouldn't be a problem or cause an
> > application crash. No, I am not going to report the bug through Launch Pad
> > because it is not simple and I assume that since I have duplicated this
> > crash on three different computers running 10.04, so I know it can be
> > duplicated by the powers that be and fixed. Not being able to save an rich
> > text file in OO Writer is very serious and can be cause not to recommend or
> > use 10.04 if a person needs this capability. This is not a troll but a
> > serious report of a serious bug in 10.04 and using OO Writer. It needs to
> > be fixed.
>
> It might help if you can attach an affected document. I have just
> tried this - fired up OpenOffice Writer 3.2.0, opened a Word for
> Windows .DOC file, saved it as RTF and it worked fine.

Can we end this thread? I think we agree that it is a problem with
large/complex files in OOo 3.2.0. We don't need any specimen files to
prove that. We also know that the same files do not have a problem with
OOo 3.2.1 that will be in the upcoming 10.10 release.

Tony







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org