Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Zatlite Minthar

Default xubuntu minimum system requirements

Hi,

*

Can any one tell me what's the absolute minimum system requirements*for xubuntu*in terms of disk space, processing power and memory?

I've an old machine I'd like to use again and wondering if I can use xubuntu instead of puppy linux or damnsmalllinux.

The machine is 400mhz*processor, 256MB memory and has a 4GB harddrive.

I don't want to install everything that comes with ubuntu. Just openoffice if the machine can handle it and firefox.

*

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
steve

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:57:11 +0000
schrieb Zatlite Minthar <zatlite@hotmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Can any one tell me what's the absolute minimum system requirements
> for xubuntu in terms of disk space, processing power and memory? I've
> an old machine I'd like to use again and wondering if I can use
> xubuntu instead of puppy linux or damnsmalllinux. The machine is
> 400mhz processor, 256MB memory and has a 4GB harddrive.

I don't know the absolute minimum, but this machine will work.
You should use the alternate install iso, because the normal iso
needs too much resources during install.

> I don't want
> to install everything that comes with ubuntu. Just openoffice if the
> machine can handle it and firefox.

You need patience during load of especially this programs, but when
they have started, they should be fast enough to work with, better not
start them at the same time .

Gerald

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Nils Kassube

From <http://www.xubuntu.org/get>:

| Minimum system requirements
|
| To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run
| or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to
| have 64 MB RAM. To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on
| your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it
| is strongly recommended to have at least 128 MB RAM.

I had even Kubuntu Dapper installed on a 180MHz / 256MB machine. Of course
it wasn't high speed, but at least it worked with both Openoffice and
Firefox. With your machine it should work even better.

Nils

Old 01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Zatlite Minthar

Great! I'm so gonna format that machine.

Win98 has done it's time. It wasn't all bad.

But recently, with almost always on internet, I've been getting too much grief from all the creepy crawlies on the net.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
NoOp

On 01/20/2008 01:18 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Zatlite Minthar wrote:
>> Can any one tell me what's the absolute minimum system requirements for
>> xubuntu in terms of disk space, processing power and memory? I've an
>> old machine I'd like to use again and wondering if I can use xubuntu
>> instead of puppy linux or damnsmalllinux. The machine is 400mhz
>> processor, 256MB memory and has a 4GB harddrive. I don't want to
>> install everything that comes with ubuntu. Just openoffice if the
>> machine can handle it and firefox.
>
> From <http://www.xubuntu.org/get>:
>
> | Minimum system requirements
> |
> | To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run
> | or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to
> | have 64 MB RAM. To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on
> | your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it
> | is strongly recommended to have at least 128 MB RAM.
>
> I had even Kubuntu Dapper installed on a 180MHz / 256MB machine. Of course
> it wasn't high speed, but at least it worked with both Openoffice and
> Firefox. With your machine it should work even better.
>

> Nils

And standard Gnome/Ubuntu on a 350Mhz/192Mb/20G (replaced an 8G) laptop
works ok (albeit a little slow, but quite acceptable).

The only problem that I see is that the 4G drive will quickly fill up if
you don't watch what you install. Keep the apps to a minimum & you
should be just fine.