Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Frank

Default The great features of Linux - an alternative view

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 13:43 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:

> Linux users form a tight community. There are numerous chat rooms,
> mailing lists and discussion forums with many knowledgeable people who
> can help you with your problems. What's best, these people are
> volunteers and don't charge anything for helping you!

Well.. there are numerous chat rooms, mailing lists and discussion
forums for other operating systems too.

> There is no official, commercial support for Linux

What is an "official" support?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Christopher Chan

Frank wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 13:43 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
>
>> Linux users form a tight community. There are numerous chat rooms,
>> mailing lists and discussion forums with many knowledgeable people who
>> can help you with your problems. What's best, these people are
>> volunteers and don't charge anything for helping you!
>
> Well.. there are numerous chat rooms, mailing lists and discussion
> forums for other operating systems too.
>
>> There is no official, commercial support for Linux
>
> What is an "official" support?

The type that Microsoft offers. :-D

Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
drew einhorn

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 13:43 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:

> There is no official, commercial support for Linux

What is an "official" support?
*You can buy official, commercial, support for:*

** Ubuntu from Canonical** RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) from Red Hat** SUSE from Novell** Pretty sure Oracle and HP sell support, too.
And that's just what I know off the top of my head,
I'm sure there are others.
You can also contract with local consultants for onsite support.
How much more support do your need?
--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
* --* Yogi Berra

Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Pastor JW

On Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:11:00 am Christopher Chan wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 13:43 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> >> Linux users form a tight community. There are numerous chat rooms,
> >> mailing lists and discussion forums with many knowledgeable people who
> >> can help you with your problems. What's best, these people are
> >> volunteers and don't charge anything for helping you!
> >
> > Well.. there are numerous chat rooms, mailing lists and discussion
> > forums for other operating systems too.
> >
> >> There is no official, commercial support for Linux
> >
> > What is an "official" support?
>
> The type that Microsoft offers. :-D

That was funny enough to make coffee run out my nose!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:11:00 +0800
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> Frank wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 13:43 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> >
> >> Linux users form a tight community. There are numerous chat rooms,
> >> mailing lists and discussion forums with many knowledgeable people
> >> who can help you with your problems. What's best, these people are
> >> volunteers and don't charge anything for helping you!
> >
> > Well.. there are numerous chat rooms, mailing lists and discussion
> > forums for other operating systems too.
> >
> >> There is no official, commercial support for Linux
> >
> > What is an "official" support?
> >

> The type that Microsoft offers. :-D

Ah, "official," equals, "no."

Cybe R. Wizard -has official problems with that
Winduhs

Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Derek Maciel

Even if Linux doesn't have an "official" support (but Ubuntu does.
http://www.canonical.com/consumer-services/support), I find that I get
better answers with the Ubuntu community for support rather than the
tech support for Microsoft.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Michael Haney

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Derek Maciel <ishidableach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if Linux doesn't have an "official" support (but Ubuntu does.
> http://www.canonical.com/consumer-services/support), I find that I get
> better answers with the Ubuntu community for support rather than the
> tech support for Microsoft.

Microsoft's tech support people are all trained monkeys, I swear.
They're worse than Comcast technicians, and if you live in the US and
have Comcast you know what I mean. They're really that bad.

Oh, and Microsoft's help documentation is more useless than some
Manpages. Making something with that level of shear uselessness takes
talent!

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 01:43:29PM +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> The great features of Linux:
> "The Linux community is there to help you"

I expected to see a M$ copyright notice on that site but couldn't find it.
Where is it hidden?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Derek Maciel

Yes, I have Comcast and I know exactly what you mean. Microsoft thinks
a format and a defrag will fix anything.

This is why I prefer Linux documentation and community-tech-support
many times over Microsoft. People who work with the code themselves
will obviously have more insight than people being told what to say.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Michael Haney

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Derek Maciel <ishidableach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I have Comcast and I know exactly what you mean. Microsoft thinks
> a format and a defrag will fix anything.

Actually, you'd be shocked at how many problems a defrag and chkdsk
will fix. I used to do helpdesk support. Its was the general purpose
fix all. LOL

But, yeah, they do rely way too much on it. Because it doesn't always
work. The biggest culprit behind Windows crashes is a shitty drivers,
and man do a lot of hardware makers write shitty drivers (ahem ...
ATI, now known as AMD).

> This is why I prefer Linux documentation and community-tech-support
> many times over Microsoft. People who work with the code themselves
> will obviously have more insight than people being told what to say.

I think Manpages need some improvement. Often, a few are WAY better
many of the Windows help files I've seen, but others aren't very
helpful at all. They need more examples of how one is write a
command, and quite a few have even left some information out. Isn't
there a project out there that is working on improving Manpages? I
though I heard of one.