Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Luis Paulo

Default The great features of Linux - an alternative view

The great features of Linux:
"The Linux community is there to help you"

* Why geeks like it:
Linux users form a tight community. There are numerous chat rooms,
mailing lists and discussion forums with many knowledgeable people who
can help you with your problems. What's best, these people are
volunteers and don't charge anything for helping you!

* What it means in real life:
There is no official, commercial support for Linux, so you have to
rely on the other Linux users if you need help. For example, you go to
a Linux discussion forum that is full of geeks who are full of
themselves because they're so 1337 they know how to use Linux. You ask
a very basic newbie question and one of those 1337 Linux h4x0rz tells
you to RTFM. Then you spend the rest of your day trying to figure out
what RTFM means.

----
From the ANTI-help, at http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/altview.html
The rest is not that funny to post here. Well, maybe "Linux is secure".

No question/help intended, what so ever.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Michael Pavling

On 11 September 2010 13:43, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas@gmail.com> wrote:
> The great features of Linux:
> "The Linux community is there to help you"
>
> * What it means in real life:
> There is no official, commercial support for Linux, so you have to
> rely on the other Linux users if you need help.

Erroneous.
Plenty of people and companies offer official, commercial support for
Linux. Red Hat do, Canonical do, as do numerous others.

> No question/help intended, what so ever.

So you need to post to a different forum, or at least put "[OT]" in
the subject to let readers know it's an off-topic post, and to not
waste their volunteer support time reading it.

PS Anyone who spends "the rest of the day" finding out what "RTFM"
means has just spent a very productive afternoon learning how to use
an internet search engine; a skill that will benefit them greatly in
the rest of their life.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Luis Paulo

>> No question/help intended, what so ever.
>
> So you need to post to a different forum, or at least put "[OT]" in
> the subject to let readers know it's an off-topic post, and to not
> waste their volunteer support time reading it.

lolol
hehehehe

I'll [OT] next time, you're right. I forgive you , no need to apologize