Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Bill Moseley

Default udev and jpilot-sync

Ok, can someone clear this up for me?

I'm connecting a Palm device to Gusty. (Before it was connected to a
Debian machine using/etc/hotplug/usb script that basically did:

COMMAND="su - moseley -c jpilot-sync"

So, I found these instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PalmDeviceSetup

which says to add a custom udev rule.

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*", NAME{ignore_remove}="pilot", MODE="666"

What I'm confused about is I thought that rule was suppose to create
the /dev/pilot device. But, I found by just loading the "visor"
module then pressing the hotsync button on the cradle would create the
/dev/pilot device.

Then running jpilot and pressing sync works perfectly.

So, it seems I need help understanding how to do two things:

1) automatically load the visor module when I press the hotsync
button

2) run a program (jpilot-sync) when the device connects.

I tried adding the udev rule above and appending:

RUN+="su - moseley -c jpilot-sync"

But I'm not sure it's even running. I see this in syslog:

Jan 20 11:45:33 bumby2 udevd[2753]: add_to_rules: invalid SUBSYSTEMS operation
Jan 20 11:45:33 bumby2 udevd[2753]: add_to_rules: invalid rule '/etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules:1'

Can someone help clear this up?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley