Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Cliffer Benny

Default Ubuntu 10.04: keyboard and mouse not working after update

I just ran the updater in Ubuntu 10.04. Following the update, I restarted my computer. Now neither my keyboard, nor my mouse work at all. I have no idea what to do, and I haven't been able to find help online.

*
I am running a Compaq Presario V2000 series notebook (it's a bit of a dinosaur)
AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-28
1.59 GHz, 1.87 GB RAM
*
Thank you
*
Ben

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM
NoOp

On 09/10/2010 08:08 AM, Cliffer Benny wrote:
> I just ran the updater in Ubuntu 10.04. Following the update, I restarted my
> computer. Now neither my keyboard, nor my mouse work at all. I have no idea
> what to do, and I haven't been able to find help online.
>
> I am running a Compaq Presario V2000 series notebook (it's a bit of a
> dinosaur)
> AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-28
> 1.59 GHz, 1.87 GB RAM

Are you able to boot in Recovery mode, and does the keyboard work with
that? If so, select the dpkg option and let that run to see if something
got screwed up in the update.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Cliffer Benny

I did try booting in recovery. It ran through all the text until "Done," where it stayed. I could still do nothing.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Goh Lip

On Saturday 11,September,2010 12:58 PM, Cliffer Benny wrote:
> I did try booting in recovery. It ran through all the text until "Done,"
> where it stayed. I could still do nothing.

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM, NoOp
> Are you able to boot in Recovery mode, and does the keyboard work with
> that? If so, select the dpkg option and let that run to see if something
> got screwed up in the update.

Cliffer, go to recovery console again, select root with networking and
try this
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Good luck - Goh Lip

Old 09-11-2010, 02:32 PM
rhizoma rio

Dear all
I have almost a similar problem, I tried to upgrade my
xserver-xorg-core from ppa repository (ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa). I
intended to upgrade the driver of my graphics card (intel chipset) to
the latest version. Unfortunately, I didn't read the instruction
before doing upgrade. I miss to install ppa-purge package
Now, My keyboard and mouse don't work at all. How to recover my
sistem... please need help.
thank you

Old 09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
NoOp

On 09/11/2010 06:41 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On Saturday 11,September,2010 12:58 PM, Cliffer Benny wrote:
>> I did try booting in recovery. It ran through all the text until "Done,"
>> where it stayed. I could still do nothing.

Good. That means that you do have keyboard in that mode & there are no
seriously misconfigured packages.

>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM, NoOp
>> Are you able to boot in Recovery mode, and does the keyboard work with
>> that? If so, select the dpkg option and let that run to see if something
>> got screwed up in the update.
>
> Cliffer, go to recovery console again, select root with networking and
> try this
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

It's the 'netroot' menu selection & don't use 'sudo' in that mode as you
are in a root shell.

And while there, ensure that you have established a connection (ping
ubuntu.com), and then:

# ping ubuntu.com
[if this works, then proceed with the rest]

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install -f
# dpkg --configure -a

If all that works well (no major errors), check to see what may have
occurred in your xorg.conf files:

# cd /etc/X11
# ls -al xorg.*

Now take a look at the newest xorg.conf and compare against the previous:

# cat xorg.conf |more
# cat <olderxorg.conf> |more

Pay attention to any sections with keyboard or mouse.

While Goh's recommendation is good/correct, sometimes it's worth just
moving the xorg.conf out of the way (10.04 default is no xorg.conf). So
you might try:

[backup the existing xorg.conf first]
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_old
[now let's remove the xorg.conf]
# rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now you can exit and try booting:
# reboot now

If removing the xorg.conf works, you can leave as is. If not, you can go
back to netroot (Recovery mode) and put the old one back:

# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_old /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# reboot now