Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
"G. "

Default smart link modem

I am installing Lucid on a Toshiba Tecra. I installed the hardware
drivers and still no wireless. The hardware driver window says it
needs a kernel, either an alsa shipped with kernel 2.6.4 or newer.
This machine that I just updated shows 2.6 32. 24 so is that older
or newer than 2.6.4?

Basic question but I am a basic user except I am the most advanced
user where I am, in the middle of the mountains of Panama and people
are coming to me for Ubuntu installs.

If I have the right kernel, then I found an older wiki and other fixes
but for older versions of ubuntu.

Appreciate any help.

gary

Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Alan Pope

On 9 September 2010 20:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am installing Lucid on a Toshiba Tecra. *I installed the hardware
> drivers and still no wireless. *The hardware driver window says it
> needs a kernel, either an alsa shipped with kernel 2.6.4 or newer.
> This machine that I just updated shows * 2.6 32. 24 so is that older
> or newer than 2.6.4?

I guess that's for the audio chipset and not the wireless, or perhaps
for the DSP / analog modem.

Do you have a /var/log/jockey.log file which details what it's after?

> Basic question but I am a basic user except I am the most advanced
> user where I am, in the middle of the mountains of Panama and people
> are coming to me for Ubuntu installs.

Sounds great!

> If I have the right kernel, then I found an older wiki and other fixes
> but for older versions of ubuntu.

The 2.6.4 message sounds very generic. Does the machine in question
have a net connection?

Cheers,
Al.