Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Stephen

Default About Modems

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now. I was using 9.10 before I upgraded.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a voice, data, fax modem
that will work with ubuntu 10.04

Thanks in advance;
Stephen Oulton.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 9/9/2010 11:33 AM, Stephen wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now. I was using 9.10 before I upgraded.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a voice, data, fax modem
> that will work with ubuntu 10.04
>
> Thanks in advance;
> Stephen Oulton.

Most non-wireless PCI chipsets work on Ubuntu. I use a Realtek chipset
on a PCI card and it works flawlessly on Ubuntu 10.04.
You can also move to Asus chipsets, Asus provides drivers for Linux for
most of their hardware.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 12:33 -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now. I was using 9.10 before I upgraded.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a voice, data, fax modem
> that will work with ubuntu 10.04
>
> Thanks in advance;
> Stephen Oulton.

Take a look at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Modems

I hope that link will help you decide what to look for.

I had a look at trying to get fax working a while ago. Miserable
failure because my PC has a Winmodem.

Tony

Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 12:33 -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now. I was using 9.10 before I upgraded.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a voice, data, fax modem
> that will work with ubuntu 10.04

If it costs $12 I'd forget it. An external 56k serial modem that doesn't
depend on a driver (win-modem) but has everything related to compression
chores in hardware is basically what you want. Expect to pay more than
$50 for a really decent one. google around and you'll find a good one.
Ric

Linux user# 44256