Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Any suggestions, please?

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 17:02, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> This morning (many hours ago now) I booted up my system, had some
> upgrades to 10.04.1 done (almost all to do with Firefox) and then,
> suddenly the monitor screen went black, went into "sleep" mode - and
> there were no responses from the keyboard or the mouse.
>
> Rebooting achieved nothing.
>
> While all the fans in the system (7 of them, including the CPU fan) plus
> the HDs were working/spinning, the system would not boot, and there were
> no beep(s) from the mobo to indicate what was wrong.
>
> My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.
>
> But what?
>
> Could anyone please offer suggestions as to what I could check to see
> which part of the mobo has 'died'?
>
> (( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
> going, which I am now doing, but the downgrade from 3200+ Athlon XP with
> 1.5GB of RAM to a 1200+ XP with 500MB of RAM is just kinda difficult to
> adjust to :-) - not impossible, mind you, but somewhat disorientating.
> [For the first time I see that my Swap file is being used! :-) .]
>
> (Actually, without prejudice, I see no real degradation of performance
> by Ubuntu 10.04.1 provided that I only have one or two main applications
> running.)
>
> (Oh, I am running, and have run, a 32-bit system with ATA IDE drives - a
> system which I built myself.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> BC

Disconnect all PCI cards (modems, NICs, discrete graphics card if you
have on-board) and whatnot, then try to boot from an optical drive
(LiveCD). Disable things in the BIOS (such as onboard NIC). If that
doesn't work, try a different drive in a different motherboard
IDE/SATA port with a different cable.

If that doesn't work, then you are at the "throw parts at it" stage:
start with the PSU and graphics card (assuming no on-board) as that
should really be all that's currently connected at this stage.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Dotan Cohen

And memory! Remove all but a single RAM stick. If it won't boot, then
use a different RAM stick in a different slot.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Tim Henderson

On 09/09/10 10:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
> This morning (many hours ago now) I booted up my system, had some
> upgrades to 10.04.1 done (almost all to do with Firefox) and then,
> suddenly the monitor screen went black, went into "sleep" mode - and
> there were no responses from the keyboard or the mouse.
>
> Rebooting achieved nothing.
>
> While all the fans in the system (7 of them, including the CPU fan) plus
> the HDs were working/spinning, the system would not boot, and there were
> no beep(s) from the mobo to indicate what was wrong.
>
> My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.
>
> But what?
>
> Could anyone please offer suggestions as to what I could check to see
> which part of the mobo has 'died'?
>
> (( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
> going, which I am now doing, but the downgrade from 3200+ Athlon XP with
> 1.5GB of RAM to a 1200+ XP with 500MB of RAM is just kinda difficult to
> adjust to :-) - not impossible, mind you, but somewhat disorientating.
> [For the first time I see that my Swap file is being used! :-) .]
>
> (Actually, without prejudice, I see no real degradation of performance
> by Ubuntu 10.04.1 provided that I only have one or two main applications
> running.)
>
> (Oh, I am running, and have run, a 32-bit system with ATA IDE drives - a
> system which I built myself.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> BC

Does the monitor show anything during boot? If not I think the monitor
died.

Otherwise first thing try booting to a live cd, mount your HDD, back up
your files. Then try troubleshooting from the live cd, if that doesnt
work then reinstall.

If nothing, then your Mobo or other component is fried...follow other
suggestions for testing components.

Tim H.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 9/9/2010 11:27 AM, Tim Henderson wrote:
> On 09/09/10 10:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> This morning (many hours ago now) I booted up my system, had some
>> upgrades to 10.04.1 done (almost all to do with Firefox) and then,
>> suddenly the monitor screen went black, went into "sleep" mode - and
>> there were no responses from the keyboard or the mouse.
>>
>> Rebooting achieved nothing.
>>
>> While all the fans in the system (7 of them, including the CPU fan) plus
>> the HDs were working/spinning, the system would not boot, and there were
>> no beep(s) from the mobo to indicate what was wrong.
>>
>> My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.
>>
>> But what?
>>
>> Could anyone please offer suggestions as to what I could check to see
>> which part of the mobo has 'died'?
>>
>> (( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
>> going, which I am now doing, but the downgrade from 3200+ Athlon XP with
>> 1.5GB of RAM to a 1200+ XP with 500MB of RAM is just kinda difficult to
>> adjust to :-) - not impossible, mind you, but somewhat disorientating.
>> [For the first time I see that my Swap file is being used! :-) .]
>>
>> (Actually, without prejudice, I see no real degradation of performance
>> by Ubuntu 10.04.1 provided that I only have one or two main applications
>> running.)
>>
>> (Oh, I am running, and have run, a 32-bit system with ATA IDE drives - a
>> system which I built myself.
>>
>> Any ideas, folks?
>>
>> BC
>>
> Does the monitor show anything during boot? If not I think the monitor
> died.
>
> Otherwise first thing try booting to a live cd, mount your HDD, back up
> your files. Then try troubleshooting from the live cd, if that doesnt
> work then reinstall.
>
> If nothing, then your Mobo or other component is fried...follow other
> suggestions for testing components.
>
> Tim H.

It would be easy to tell if a monitor broke, I'm pretty sure the tell
all LED would give a pretty big hint at failure. It could have been a
simple GPU failure. Even a PSU failure which is the first place you
should be ultimately checking would give a big hint. Even if the PSU
turns on that doesn't mean it hasn't failed. A failed PSU can have the
power to boot up half the system. You can take it to your local
computer shop or radio shack and they can do a wattage and voltage test
on it to see if it's failed, or you can run out to the hardware store or
radio shack again and pick up a cheapo $9 tester and see for yourself.

If the memory failed, it would give a tell all sign as well, the
computer would boot, unless all banks and all memory went bad, that's
why your mother board tests it's memory, to see if a bank or stick has
failed so it can either tell your (or disable it depending on the type
of mobo), hint hint that's been in mobos for years now, especially in
commercial workstations and servers. If the bus failed, it would act
the same way, but again, the first step should always be the PSU since
it takes the most strain in the entire system.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
rikona

Hello Basil,

Thursday, September 9, 2010, 7:02:36 AM, Basil wrote:

BC> Any ideas, folks?

Two thoughts. First see if you can see the bios properly, and check
what it thinks it sees. I recently lost a mobo from a defective
replacement DVD drive. The bios reported random chrs instead of the
actual ID for the HD on the box, which was a clue to what caused the
problem. The HD, when put in another box, was fine, so didn't lose
anything. Second is is to try to boot from a live DVD or perhaps a
floppy if it has one.

BC> Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by
BC> how fervently they believe it.

Love your sig. :-)

--

rikona

Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:53:13 -0700
rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

> Hello Basil,
>
> Thursday, September 9, 2010, 7:02:36 AM, Basil wrote:
>
> BC> Any ideas, folks?
>
> Two thoughts. First see if you can see the bios properly, and check
> what it thinks it sees. I recently lost a mobo from a defective
> replacement DVD drive. The bios reported random chrs instead of the
> actual ID for the HD on the box, which was a clue to what caused the
> problem. The HD, when put in another box, was fine, so didn't lose
> anything. Second is is to try to boot from a live DVD or perhaps a
> floppy if it has one.

Everyone seems to be missing two things:

1. His monitor doesn't show /anything/
2. There is/are no POST code beep(s)

I still want to hear what the CMOS battery replacement does.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Colin Law

On 9 September 2010 17:57, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:53:13 -0700
> rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello Basil,
>>
>> Thursday, September 9, 2010, 7:02:36 AM, Basil wrote:
>>
>> BC> Any ideas, folks?
>>
>> Two thoughts. First see if you can see the bios properly, and check
>> what it thinks it sees. I recently lost a mobo from a defective
>> replacement DVD drive. The bios reported random chrs instead of the
>> actual ID for the HD on the box, which was a clue to what caused the
>> problem. The HD, when put in another box, was fine, so didn't lose
>> anything. Second is is to try to boot from a live DVD or perhaps a
>> floppy if it has one.
>>
> Everyone seems to be missing two things:
>
> 1. *His monitor doesn't show /anything/
> 2. *There is/are no POST code beep(s)
>
> I still want to hear what the CMOS battery replacement does.

My experience of a flat CMOS battery is that the BIOS starts up and
says that it is reverting to defaults and waits for input. Not that
nothing happens at all.

Colin

Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Li Li

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 20:23 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 September 2010 17:57, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >>
> > Everyone seems to be missing two things:
> >
> > 1. His monitor doesn't show /anything/
> > 2. There is/are no POST code beep(s)
> >
> > I still want to hear what the CMOS battery replacement does.
>
> My experience of a flat CMOS battery is that the BIOS starts up and
> says that it is reverting to defaults and waits for input. Not that
> nothing happens at all.

+1. Dollars to dim sum that it's the power supply. First thing to look
at when no lights are flashing anywhere. Maybe even more in Oz where
they have 250 volt mains. (But really neat attachment caps and power
points!). My experience in places like that was that PSUs died more
often than in the lower voltage, higher amperage countries.

Anecdote, not data of course.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions

Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 00:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> This morning (many hours ago now) I booted up my system, had some
> upgrades to 10.04.1 done (almost all to do with Firefox) and then,
> suddenly the monitor screen went black, went into "sleep" mode - and
> there were no responses from the keyboard or the mouse.
>
> Rebooting achieved nothing.
>
> While all the fans in the system (7 of them, including the CPU fan) plus
> the HDs were working/spinning, the system would not boot, and there were
> no beep(s) from the mobo to indicate what was wrong.
>
> My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.
>
> But what?
>
> Could anyone please offer suggestions as to what I could check to see
> which part of the mobo has 'died'?
>
> (( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
> going, which I am now doing, but the downgrade from 3200+ Athlon XP with
> 1.5GB of RAM to a 1200+ XP with 500MB of RAM is just kinda difficult to
> adjust to :-) - not impossible, mind you, but somewhat disorientating.
> [For the first time I see that my Swap file is being used! :-) .]
>
> (Actually, without prejudice, I see no real degradation of performance
> by Ubuntu 10.04.1 provided that I only have one or two main applications
> running.)
>
> (Oh, I am running, and have run, a 32-bit system with ATA IDE drives - a
> system which I built myself.
>
> Any ideas, folks?

Heh, were you working on that self-destructing graphic file perhaps??
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Luis Paulo

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> <snip>
> (( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
> going, which I am now doing
> <snip>

"have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo"

So what haven't you transfered? Not the mobo, ok. What else? And
you're using the same display, right?

Not having that answers, and being a system that was working (not a
new one), I'll bet on the PSU.

Regards
Luis