Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default how to make the contents of a file disappear after x numbers of days or at date

Encrypt the file... and at set date, delete the key. After that, the
contents are LOST.

Gilles.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Karl Auer

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 17:23 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Encrypt the file... and at set date, delete the key. After that, the
> contents are LOST.

Still requires activity/smarts that are external to the file. Actually,
it just pushes the problem off a level - what is going to delete the
key? The file is still not deleting itself.

I would really like to hear what the OP actually seeks to achieve...

Regards, K.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 09/09/2010 17:29, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 17:23 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Encrypt the file... and at set date, delete the key. After that, the
>> contents are LOST.
> Still requires activity/smarts that are external to the file. Actually,
> it just pushes the problem off a level - what is going to delete the
> key? The file is still not deleting itself.
>
> I would really like to hear what the OP actually seeks to achieve...
>
> Regards, K.

The subject says "how to make the contents of a file disappear". Not
necessarily the actual file itself.

Now about the key. Use a proper key management system that, linked with
the file encryption system, provides access to the file automatically,
and deletes the file a the set date. This is called "assured delete".

Google for Assured Delete papers by Radia Perlman and the
"Timed-Ephemerizer".

Gilles

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
user1

> Why not tell us what you are actually trying to achieve? Maybe if you
> told us the actual problem, we could suggest other ways to solve it.

Lets say I want to send a picture to a person - then I do not want the
person to copy it and use it for "some purpose" - the person is not an
expert, so after a day in his posession the contents of the image
disappears - same idea with a text file?

Just an idea I got to day when walking my tour in the woods *smile*

I am constantly thinking of linux and new ideas in my subconsciouness.

In a way a kind of "virus" but its only purpose is to remove the contents
of the very file of mine, either on my computer or on somebody elses.

Life is change and developement *philosophical*

Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Patton Echols

user1 wrote:

>> Why not tell us what you are actually trying to achieve? Maybe if you
>> told us the actual problem, we could suggest other ways to solve it.
>>

> Lets say I want to send a picture to a person - then I do not want the
> person to copy it and use it for "some purpose" - the person is not an
> expert, so after a day in his posession the contents of the image
> disappears - same idea with a text file?

I don't know a solution. But have a memory that may further your thinking.

I seem to recall a version of PGP (under DOS) years ago that allowed a
user to encrypt a file into an executable wrapper. When executed, the
wrapper would spawn a viewer in "protected memory" that prevented
copying. The trick was that the wrapper could be set with an expiration
date. Execution of the wrapper would fail after that date.

I have no idea if anything still exists or ever existed for linux. The
problem with such a system is that I can think of several possible work
arounds.

Good luck

Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Chris Jeffries

> On 09/09/10 07:20, user1 wrote:
> > Anybody know of a way to make the contents of a file (txt,
> html, jpeg,
> > png, mp3, ogg etc.) disappear after a certain number of
> days.

How about distributing as a SWF file.

Its ActionScript could make a call to a server and not show the picture
if it does not reach the server, or if the date is passed.

You could set it up so that unless the ActionScript was executed the
picture would not show.

Added advantage, you could keep track of each view of the file if you
wanted.

Disadvantage, the person viewing would need a live internet link in
order to see it.