Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Basil Chupin

Default Any suggestions, please?

This morning (many hours ago now) I booted up my system, had some
upgrades to 10.04.1 done (almost all to do with Firefox) and then,
suddenly the monitor screen went black, went into "sleep" mode - and
there were no responses from the keyboard or the mouse.

Rebooting achieved nothing.

While all the fans in the system (7 of them, including the CPU fan) plus
the HDs were working/spinning, the system would not boot, and there were
no beep(s) from the mobo to indicate what was wrong.

My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.

But what?

Could anyone please offer suggestions as to what I could check to see
which part of the mobo has 'died'?

(( have transferred my main components to another chassis/mobo to keep
going, which I am now doing, but the downgrade from 3200+ Athlon XP with
1.5GB of RAM to a 1200+ XP with 500MB of RAM is just kinda difficult to
adjust to :-) - not impossible, mind you, but somewhat disorientating.
[For the first time I see that my Swap file is being used! :-) .]

(Actually, without prejudice, I see no real degradation of performance
by Ubuntu 10.04.1 provided that I only have one or two main applications
running.)

(Oh, I am running, and have run, a 32-bit system with ATA IDE drives - a
system which I built myself.

Any ideas, folks?

BC

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Frank

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 00:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> My conclusion was that some part of the mobo was dead.

Disconnect everything you can disconnect and check if the mobo gives any
sign of life.

I once had a similar situation like the one you described. The cause was
a faulty graphic card.