Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Dave Howorth

Default glass cleaners - was Problem with newer DVD's in ubuntu 10.04 (Video-Player)

Basil Chupin wrote:
> A clean, cotton handkerchief, irrespective of how many times it has been
> laundered, just doesn't make the grade :-( . In no way, shape or form.
>
> For the purposes we are talking about here, Kleenex tissues, or
> equivalent (I use Sorbent tissues, a local name no doubt) for the job.

Interesting; there must be some non-obvious physical processes going on,
because my experience is the opposite. For many years I used to clean my
spectacles using tissues, and over time the anti-reflective coating
always wore away. In recent years, I've switched to cleaning them using
my polycotton shirt tails and the optician has remarked on how well the
coatings on my lenses are lasting.

>> The other stuff I've found to be very good for cleaning all kinds of surfaces
>> is available in the UK under the Turtle Wax brand, called "Clear Vue Glass
>> Clean". I've found it very good on many surfaces such as windows, TV and
>> computer screens, camera lenses. Try it at your own risk, obviously, but I
>> find it cleans better than most other potions and wipes away without leaving
>> smears.
>
> Smears are the least of the problems. What damage does the cleaner do to
> the surface of the glass/camera lens?

There's an interesting list of ingredients here:
<http://aquapel-warren.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-is-in-commercial-glass-cleaners.html>

But glass cleaner products that damage the glass don't generally perform
as well in the market over the years as Clearvue has done!

> If you wear spectacles, are you aware that if you try and clean your
> specs. using ordinary water - and plain soap for example - that you
> should only use cold water to do this because anything above cold water
> will destroy the coating on the lenses of your spectacles?

Again, my experience differs in that I've never had a problem using warm
water, though I don't use it regularly. Perhaps it depends on the type
of coatings; do you have a reference that explains the problem?

Cheers, Dave

Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 22:27, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> A clean, cotton handkerchief, irrespective of how many times it has been
>> laundered, just doesn't make the grade :-( . In no way, shape or form.
>>
>> For the purposes we are talking about here, Kleenex tissues, or
>> equivalent (I use Sorbent tissues, a local name no doubt) for the job.
>>
> Interesting; there must be some non-obvious physical processes going on,
> because my experience is the opposite. For many years I used to clean my
> spectacles using tissues, and over time the anti-reflective coating
> always wore away. In recent years, I've switched to cleaning them using
> my polycotton shirt tails and the optician has remarked on how well the
> coatings on my lenses are lasting.

Question: are we talking here about the old high tech GLASS lenses or
the latest high tech plastic lenses (coated or not)?

BC

Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Frank

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 13:27 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

> For many years I used to clean my
> spectacles using tissues, and over time the anti-reflective coating
> always wore away.

Using paper tower, or even toilet paper and kleenex can also put fine
scratches in a lens. You won't notice it at first, but after a year or
two, many fine scratches will become evident. These are wood-pulp and
paper-based products, and are not recommended, even by the
manufacturers. Wood-pulp has an abrasive effect on lenses.

Use micro-fiber tissues; easy to find @ any optician :-)

Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 13:27 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

> There's an interesting list of ingredients here:
> <http://aquapel-warren.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-is-in-commercial-glass-cleaners.html>

There are two basic types of window cleaners, ammonia or alcohol based.
The alcohol based versions are best for cigarette smoke. We used to make
commercial grade concentrate for institutions in bulk quantities. Ric

Linux user# 44256