Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
user1

Default how to make the contents of a file disappear after x numbers of days or at date

Anybody know of a way to make the contents of a file (txt, html, jpeg,
png, mp3, ogg etc.) disappear after a certain number of days.

To make the whole content or a selected part of a file to disappear.

The charateristic must be hidden in the file and not to be removed by a
copy.

I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)

Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Nils Kassube

user1 wrote:
> Anybody know of a way to make the contents of a file (txt, html,
> jpeg, png, mp3, ogg etc.) disappear after a certain number of days.
>
> To make the whole content or a selected part of a file to disappear.
>
> The charateristic must be hidden in the file and not to be removed by
> a copy.
>
> I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)

Can you explain what you mean with "disappear"? Should the result be an
empty file or e.g. a file with the same length and random data?

Nils

Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM
user1

>> I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)
> Can you explain what you mean with "disappear"? Should the result be an
> empty file or e.g. a file with the same length and random data?

I mean the result should be an empty file (or a part of a file), where
the "wiped" data is gone and cannot be restored.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:04:06 +0000 (UTC)
user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

> >> I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)
> > Can you explain what you mean with "disappear"? Should the result
> > be an empty file or e.g. a file with the same length and random
> > data?
>

> I mean the result should be an empty file (or a part of a file),
> where the "wiped" data is gone and cannot be restored.

Do you want an empty file or a deletion of the file?
If the latter, use cron.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Nils Kassube

user1 wrote:
> >> I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)
> >
> > Can you explain what you mean with "disappear"? Should the result
> > be an empty file or e.g. a file with the same length and random
> > data?
>
> I mean the result should be an empty file (or a part of a file),
> where the "wiped" data is gone and cannot be restored.

Probably you can do what you want with the package wipe and a script in
/etc/cron.daily/ (or /etc/cron.hourly/) which would delete (wipe) old
files in a given directory tree. But your description is still too vague
to give more detailed advice.

Nils

Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:20 AM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> Anybody know of a way to make the contents of a file (txt, html, jpeg,
> png, mp3, ogg etc.) disappear after a certain number of days.
>
> To make the whole content or a selected part of a file to disappear.
>
> The charateristic must be hidden in the file and not to be removed by a
> copy.
Cron. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

write a script to remove files. It can even have a config for a list
of files to remove at those intervals.
Also, you can check the date of the files and current time if you want
time elapsing. I personally want to switch to using the discordian
date system.

~SpaceGhost

Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Colin Law

On 9 September 2010 17:32, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:20 AM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>> Anybody know of a way to make the contents of a file (txt, html, jpeg,
>> png, mp3, ogg etc.) disappear after a certain number of days.
>>
>> To make the whole content or a selected part of a file to disappear.
>>
>> The charateristic must be hidden in the file and not to be removed by a
>> copy.
> Cron. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto
>
> write a script to remove files. It can even have a config for a list
> of files to remove at those intervals.
> Also, you can check the date of the files and current time if you want
> time elapsing. I personally want to switch to using the discordian
> date system.

I don't think using that date system would make any difference as the
OP just wants elapsed days.
Message timed at 17:40 BST, Boomtime, the 33rd day of Bureaucracy in
the YOLD 3176

Colin

Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Alan Pope

On 9 September 2010 19:03, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> Lets say I want to send a picture to a person - then I do not want the
> person to copy it and use it for "some purpose" - the person is not an
> expert, so after a day in his posession the contents of the image
> disappears - same idea with a text file?

You're basically describing DRM, nothing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Examples of which:-

http://www.fileopen.com/products/fileopen_pdf_control/
http://www.locklizard.com/pdf_security.htm

I'll let others pass comment on the morality and effectiveness of such
an idea

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 AM
user1

> You're basically describing DRM, nothing more.

I was meaning text, html and jpeg files and NOT pdf files

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

> http://www.fileopen.com/products/fileopen_pdf_control/
> http://www.locklizard.com/pdf_security.htm

Pdf was not included in my mind in my question as I find pdf clumsy to
reading.

99.9 pct of the time i am using text, html -and jpeg files.

My main idea was to give the contents of a file a very short living time.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Alan Pope

On 10 Sep 2010, at 06:49, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

>> You're basically describing DRM, nothing more.
>
> I was meaning text, html and jpeg files and NOT pdf files

That was just an example to illustrate my point. The fact remains what you're describing is DRM. So you'd really need to wrap the files up in some other format to enforce this.

Al.