Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
David Fletcher

Default Problem with newer DVD's in ubuntu 10.04 (Video-Player)

On Thursday 09 September 2010 11:01:39 Basil Chupin wrote:

> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me. Then use another pair of
> clean tissues to clean and polish in the same way the DVD surface once
> the metho has evaporated ( about a minute).

I have been told that tissues tend to be abrasive. There's nothing wrong as
far as I know with using meths as a cleaning agent but I use a clean cotton
handkerchief that's been softened by being laundered a few times or a
microfibre cloth.

The other stuff I've found to be very good for cleaning all kinds of surfaces
is available in the UK under the Turtle Wax brand, called "Clear Vue Glass
Clean". I've found it very good on many surfaces such as windows, TV and
computer screens, camera lenses. Try it at your own risk, obviously, but I
find it cleans better than most other potions and wipes away without leaving
smears.

Dave

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 20:21, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2010 11:01:39 Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
>> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
>> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
>> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
>> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
>> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me. Then use another pair of
>> clean tissues to clean and polish in the same way the DVD surface once
>> the metho has evaporated ( about a minute).
>>

> I have been told that tissues tend to be abrasive. There's nothing wrong as
> far as I know with using meths as a cleaning agent but I use a clean cotton
> handkerchief that's been softened by being laundered a few times or a
> microfibre cloth.

I was a bench-rest rifle shooter (6mm PPC) who loaded my own ammunition
to *very* tight tolerances to achieve the ultimate accuracy (to achieve
5 shots at 100 metres within 0.00 inches - you get the idea).

One of the major concerns in this is that the gun barrel is not in any
way damaged and espcially at the bullets exit point - damage here has
serious affects on the accuracy of the shot.

In order to not affect the bore of the rifle and the barrel's exit
point, special interest is paid to any solid cleaning material which
could damage the surface of the bore and the barrel's exit (the *crown*).

The normal test conducted by serious "accuracy freaks" is to use the
cloth/material to be used to clean the barrel is to rub this material on
a polished surface of a copper object. If the surface shows scratches,
then the material is considered too damaging.

A clean, cotton handkerchief, irrespective of how many times it has been
laundered, just doesn't make the grade :-( . In no way, shape or form.

For the purposes we are talking about here, Kleenex tissues, or
equivalent (I use Sorbent tissues, a local name no doubt) for the job.

> The other stuff I've found to be very good for cleaning all kinds of surfaces
> is available in the UK under the Turtle Wax brand, called "Clear Vue Glass
> Clean". I've found it very good on many surfaces such as windows, TV and
> computer screens, camera lenses. Try it at your own risk, obviously, but I
> find it cleans better than most other potions and wipes away without leaving
> smears.

Smears are the least of the problems. What damage does the cleaner do to
the surface of the glass/camera lens?

If you wear spectacles, are you aware that if you try and clean your
specs. using ordinary water - and plain soap for example - that you
should only use cold water to do this because anything above cold water
will destroy the coating on the lenses of your spectacles?

BC

Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Leander Jedamus

Am 09.09.2010 11:48, schrieb Mark Widdicombe:
> [...]
Thanks, but that doesn't help (it starts playing them for a few seconds, then nothing). It is the same with 3 other DVD's, which arrived here yesterday. Can this be a new copy protection?

Greetings
Leander Jedamus

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Leander Jedamus

Am 09.09.2010 12:01, schrieb Basil Chupin:
> On 09/09/2010 19:32, Leander Jedamus wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Has anybody the same problem looking a DVD, which is bought recently (it
>> is for example "Brust oder Keule", which is not new) ?
>> I tried Video-Player, but it just exits without an error message.
>> In gxine, it says "Error reading NAV_packet" or "Encrypted or faulty DVD".
>> But under Vista, the media player plays the DVD without problem.
>>
>> What can I do now?
>>

> One of the things I have noticed with any DVD reader in a Linux distro
> is that they are *VERY* intolerant to bad sectors on a DVD. Scratches or
> other marks upset the " readers" - like xine or kaffeine or even vlc -
> greatly.

Yes, but the discs are brandnew bought. They arrived yesterday and the
most of them did not play.
It is very unlikely they all are "dirty".
> On the other hand, Windows applications seem to have an inbuilt
> tolerance to such bad sectors.
>
> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me. Then use another pair of
> clean tissues to clean and polish in the same way the DVD surface once
> the metho has evaporated ( about a minute).
>
> Doing this will normally get rid of most problems - but this depends on
> how badly the surface of the DVD has been damaged.
>
> If this does not fix the problem, then your other choice - or choices,
> but I will only stay with the Linux/Ubuntu for the moment (otherwise get
> in touch with me via private mail) - is to use K9 Copy and copy the DVD
> to your hard drive (from which you can then either view it or burn it to
> another DVD).
>
> Using K9 Copy, it will show up if there are serious bad sectors,
> normally unrecoverable, on the DVD.
>
> Try cleaning the DVD to begin with as I outlined above.
>
> Let's start from here......

Thanks. I try that.

Greetings
Leander Jedamus

Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 21:57, Leander Jedamus wrote:
> Am 09.09.2010 11:48, schrieb Mark Widdicombe:

Nope.

if it was then it wouldn't even start playing.

BC

Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Colin Law

On 9 September 2010 11:01, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me.

I am sorry, I have to ask, why do you have to go the opposite
direction if you are left handed? I cannot see that the DVD can tell
which hand you are holding it in and which you are cleaning with.
Clockwise is clockwise whichever hand you use.

Colin

Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 22:54, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 September 2010 11:01, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
>> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
>> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
>> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
>> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
>> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me.
>>
> I am sorry, I have to ask, why do you have to go the opposite
> direction if you are left handed? I cannot see that the DVD can tell
> which hand you are holding it in and which you are cleaning with.
> Clockwise is clockwise whichever hand you use.

Not being left-handed I wouldn't know the answer.

It just seemed to me that, being right-handed, it was natural for me to
go clockwise when doing something like this but for people being
left-handed that the opposite would be true.

"Assumption is the mother or all f***-ups" as you know :-) .

OK, already, I should have stated "using a circular motion..."....

Have you ever seen the resurfacing machine used in video rental shops
work to resurface DVDs, or used a resurfacing tool available at DVD
outlets? If you have then you would get the picture of what I am trying
to explain :-) .

BC