Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Leander Jedamus

Default Problem with newer DVD's in ubuntu 10.04 (Video-Player)

Hi!

Has anybody the same problem looking a DVD, which is bought recently (it
is for example "Brust oder Keule", which is not new) ?
I tried Video-Player, but it just exits without an error message.
In gxine, it says "Error reading NAV_packet" or "Encrypted or faulty DVD".
But under Vista, the media player plays the DVD without problem.

What can I do now?

Thanks in advance
Leander Jedamus

Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Mark Widdicombe

>Has anybody the same problem looking a DVD, which is bought recently (it
>is for example "Brust oder Keule", which is not new) ?
>I tried Video-Player, but it just exits without an error message.
>In gxine, it says "Error reading NAV_packet" or "Encrypted or faulty DVD".
>But under Vista, the media player plays the DVD without problem.

>What can I do now?

>Thanks in advance
>Leander Jedamus

Hi Leander,

You might try VLC media player. I have the same problem with movie player (just quits without excuse or explanation). I figured out that that is because there are no 3D drivers for my graphics card (SiS671/771). VLC plays DVDs and video file formats flawlessly and without any kind of uproar.

Regards,
Mark

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Basil Chupin

On 09/09/2010 19:32, Leander Jedamus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Has anybody the same problem looking a DVD, which is bought recently (it
> is for example "Brust oder Keule", which is not new) ?
> I tried Video-Player, but it just exits without an error message.
> In gxine, it says "Error reading NAV_packet" or "Encrypted or faulty DVD".
> But under Vista, the media player plays the DVD without problem.
>
> What can I do now?

One of the things I have noticed with any DVD reader in a Linux distro
is that they are *VERY* intolerant to bad sectors on a DVD. Scratches or
other marks upset the " readers" - like xine or kaffeine or even vlc -
greatly.

On the other hand, Windows applications seem to have an inbuilt
tolerance to such bad sectors.

What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
the surface coating of the DVD - trust me. Then use another pair of
clean tissues to clean and polish in the same way the DVD surface once
the metho has evaporated ( about a minute).

Doing this will normally get rid of most problems - but this depends on
how badly the surface of the DVD has been damaged.

If this does not fix the problem, then your other choice - or choices,
but I will only stay with the Linux/Ubuntu for the moment (otherwise get
in touch with me via private mail) - is to use K9 Copy and copy the DVD
to your hard drive (from which you can then either view it or burn it to
another DVD).

Using K9 Copy, it will show up if there are serious bad sectors,
normally unrecoverable, on the DVD.

Try cleaning the DVD to begin with as I outlined above.

Let's start from here......

BC