Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Default Samba frustrations

I'm trying to set up a samba server on lucid (kubuntu) and connect to it (mostly) from a win7 machine. *The win7 machine and server are both in the same workgroup.
The problem is that the server is not displayed in the win7 networking page. As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network, smbclient doesn't see the server either. *So I assume something is wrong with the server config.
The smb.conf file is below.
Any ideas what's wrong?
TIAPaul
[global]
## Browsing/Identification ###
# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part ofworkgroup = KAPPA_NET
# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description fieldserver string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server# * wins support = no
# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both; * wins server = w.x.y.z
# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.dns proxy = no
# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names# to IP addresses; * name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
#### Networking ####
# The specific set of interfaces / networks to bind to# This can be either the interface name or an IP address/netmask;# interface names are normally preferred; * interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
# Only bind to the named interfaces and/or networks; you must use the# 'interfaces' option above to use this.# It is recommended that you enable this feature if your Samba machine is# not protected by a firewall or is a firewall itself. *However, this# option cannot handle dynamic or non-broadcast interfaces correctly.; * bind interfaces >

#### Debugging/Accounting ####
# This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine# that connectslog file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
# Cap the size of the individual log files (in KiB).max log size = 1000
# If you want Samba to only log through syslog then set the following# parameter to 'yes'.# * syslog >
# We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything# should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smbd,nmbd} instead. If you want to log# through syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.syslog = 0
# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtracepanic action = "" %d

####### Authentication #######
# "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account# in this server for every user accessing the server. See# /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/Samba3-HOWTO/ServerType.html# in the samba-doc package for details.# * security = user
# You may wish to use password encryption. *See the section on# 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.encrypt passwords = no
# If you are using encrypted passwords, Samba will need to know what# password database type you are using.passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
# This boolean parameter controls whether Samba attempts to sync the Unix# password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the# passdb is changed.unix password sync = yes
# For Unix password sync to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following# parameters must be set (thanks to Ian Kahan <<kahan@informatik.tu-muenchen.de> for# sending the correct chat script for the passwd program in Debian Sarge).passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %upasswd chat = *Entersnews*spassword:* %n
*Retypesnews*spassword:* %n
*passwordsupdatedssuccessfully* .
# This boolean controls whether PAM will be used for password changes# when requested by an SMB client instead of the program listed in# 'passwd program'. The default is 'no'.pam password change = yes
# This option controls how unsuccessful authentication attempts are mapped# to anonymous connectionsmap to guest = Bad User
########## Domains ###########
# Is this machine able to authenticate users. Both PDC and BDC# must have this setting enabled. If you are the BDC you must# change the 'domain master' setting to no#; * domain logons = yes## The following setting only takes effect if 'domain logons' is set# It specifies the location of the user's profile directory# from the client point of view)# The following required a [profiles] share to be setup on the# samba server (see below); * logon path = \%Nprofiles\%U# Another common choice is storing the profile in the user's home directory# (this is Samba's default)# * logon path = \%N\%Uprofile
# The following setting only takes effect if 'domain logons' is set# It specifies the location of a user's home directory (from the client# point of view); * logon drive = H:# * logon home = \%N\%U
# The following setting only takes effect if 'domain logons' is set# It specifies the script to run during logon. The script must be stored# in the [netlogon] share# NOTE: Must be store in 'DOS' file format convention; * logon script = logon.cmd
# This allows Unix users to be created on the domain controller via the SAMR# RPC pipe. *The example command creates a user account with a disabled Unix# password; please adapt to your needs; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u
# This allows machine accounts to be created on the domain controller via the# SAMR RPC pipe.# The following assumes a "machines" group exists on the system; add machine script *= /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
# This allows Unix groups to be created on the domain controller via the SAMR# RPC pipe.; add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
########## Printing ##########
# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather# than setting them up individually then you'll need this# * load printers = yes
# lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the# printcap file; * printing = bsd; * printcap name = /etc/printcap
# CUPS printing. *See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the# cupsys-client package.; * printing = cups; * printcap name = cups
############ Misc ############
# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name# of the machine that is connecting; * include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.# See smb.conf(5) and /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/Samba3-HOWTO/speed.html# for details# You may want to add the following on a Linux system:# * * * * SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192# * socket options = TCP_NODELAY
# The following parameter is useful only if you have the linpopup package# installed. The samba maintainer and the linpopup maintainer are# working to ease installation and configuration of linpopup and samba.; * message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &
# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. If this# machine will be configured as a BDC (a secondary logon server), you# must set this to 'no'; otherwise, the default behavior is recommended.# * domain master = auto
# Some defaults for winbind (make sure you're not using the ranges# for something else.); * idmap uid = 10000-20000; * idmap gid = 10000-20000; * template shell = /bin/bash
# The following was the default behaviour in sarge,# but samba upstream reverted the default because it might induce# performance issues in large organizations.# See Debian bug #368251 for some of the consequences of *not*# having this setting and smb.conf(5) for details.; * winbind enum groups = yes; * winbind enum users = yes
# Setup usershare options to enable non-root users to share folders# with the net usershare command.
# Maximum number of usershare. 0 (default) means that usershare is disabled.; * usershare max shares = 100
# Allow users who've been granted usershare privileges to create# public shares, not just authenticated onesusershare allow guests = yesrestrict anonymous = nodomain master = nologon home = \%25N\%25Ulogon path = \%25N\%25Uprofile
#======================= Share Definitions =======================
# Un-comment the following (and tweak the other settings below to suit)# to enable the default home directory shares. *This will share each# user's home directory as serverusername;[homes]; * comment = Home Directories; * browseable = no
# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change the# next parameter to 'no' if you want to be able to write to them.; * read >
# File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to# create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.; * create mask = 0700
# Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to# create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.; * directory mask = 0700
# By default, serverusername shares can be connected to by anyone# with access to the samba server. *Un-comment the following parameter# to make sure that only "username" can connect to serverusername# This might need tweaking when using external authentication schemes; * valid users = %S
# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.);[netlogon]; * comment = Network Logon Service; * path = /home/samba/netlogon; * guest ok = yes; * read >; * share modes = no
# Un-comment the following and create the profiles directory to store# users profiles (see the "logon path" option above)# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)# The path below should be writable by all users so that their# profile directory may be created the first time they log on;[profiles]; * comment = Users profiles; * path = /home/samba/profiles; * guest ok = no; * browseable = no; * create mask = 0600; * directory mask = 0700
[printers]comment = All Printersbrowseable = nopath = /var/spool/sambaprintable = yescreate mask = 0700
# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable# printer drivers[print$]comment = Printer Driverspath = /var/lib/samba/printers
[Dumbledore-share]read >path = /home/pkaplan/share

Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Christopher Chan

> # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
> # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
> encrypt passwords = no

Not going to fly with anything above Windows 2000/NT 4

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM

But I need to get to the server first before I worry about security....
The server isn't listed on any other machine.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
>> # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
>> encrypt passwords = no
>
> Not going to fly with anything above Windows 2000/NT 4

+1

Not even sure that it will fly with Win2k or NT4SP4...

Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Tom H

>>> # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
>>> # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
>>> encrypt passwords = no
>>
>> Not going to fly with anything above Windows 2000/NT 4
>
> But I need to get to the server first before I worry about security....
> The server isn't listed on any other machine.

It's not the server's security that Christopher is referring to. Win7
will refuse to connect.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a samba server on lucid (kubuntu) and connect to it
> (mostly) from a win7 machine. The win7 machine and server are both in the
> same workgroup.
> The problem is that the server is not displayed in the win7 networking page.
> As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network,
> smbclient doesn't see the server either. *So I assume something is wrong
> with the server config.
> The smb.conf file is
here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-September/227600.html

What' the output of
pdbedit -Lw
and
smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
on the Ubuntu server?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, September 09, 2010 08:24 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>>>
>>> # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
>>> # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
>>> encrypt passwords = no
>>
>> Not going to fly with anything above Windows 2000/NT 4
>
> +1
>
> Not even sure that it will fly with Win2k or NT4SP4...

Hmm...I think some registry tweaking was necessary with XP but I cannot
remember whether that was needed for W2K or NT4...or maybe I have mixed
that up with something related to domain logons...been such a long time.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 09, 2010 08:24 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> Not going to fly with anything above Windows 2000/NT 4
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Not even sure that it will fly with Win2k or NT4SP4...
>
> Hmm...I think some registry tweaking was necessary with XP but I cannot
> remember whether that was needed for W2K or NT4...or maybe I have mixed
> that up with something related to domain logons...been such a long time.

I remember, quite vaguely (!), that SP4 brought about ntlmv2 and the
encryption requirement but I could be misremembering.

Anyway, for the OP and his Win7 as you posted, encryption is required.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM

pkaplan@dumbledore:~$ pdbedit -Lwtdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!User Search failed!pkaplan@dumbledore:~$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1Enter pkaplan's password:*Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
** * * *Sharename * * * Type * * *Comment** * * *--------- * * * ---- * * *-------** * * *Dumbledore-share Disk * * *** * * *print$ * * * * *Disk * * *Printer Drivers** * * *OfficeJet * * * Printer * HP Officejet 6500 e709n** * * *IPC$ * * * * * *IPC * * * IPC Service (dumbledore server (Samba, Ubuntu))Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
** * * *Server * * * * * * * Comment** * * *--------- * * * * * *-------
** * * *Workgroup * * * * * *Master** * * *--------- * * * * * *-------** * * *KAPPA_NET * * * * * *PS-B810** * * *WORKGROUP * * * * * *DUMBLEDOREpkaplan@dumbledore:~$*
Also, to the other replies, I don't think this is a problem with win7 vs earlier versions since I can't see the server from other lucid boxes either.
Paul--

Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Frank

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 23:56 +0000, pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:

> The problem is that the server is not displayed in the win7 networking
> page.

I assume you tried to browse the network and you server machine is not
listed, right?

Try the following:

- on the Windows machine, open Explorer
- in the address bar, type

ip.of.your.server

(example: -> 192.168.1.50 )

and see if it list your shared folders within Explorer.