Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
shali Kallumpuram

Default Network installation server for Ubuntu

Dear All,

I have created a customized ubuntu* for my institution with some additional packages using remastersys and its working fine, now* am planning a network installation server , how do i add the netwok boot ability to this CD image,

For creating the server i have installed a DHCP server and TFTP and tried a netboot.tar.gz and its working but i need to install my customized cd over network.
any suggestions???

Shali

Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM, shali Kallumpuram
<vidyaserveradmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have created a customized ubuntu* for my institution with some additional
> packages using remastersys and its working fine, now* am planning a network
> installation server , how do i add the netwok boot ability to this CD image,
>
> For creating the server i have installed a DHCP server and TFTP and tried a
> netboot.tar.gz and its working but i need to install my customized cd over
> network.
> any suggestions???
Please do see the comments on this link
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-advanced-tftp-server-in-ubuntu.html
Also check this I have myself done it.
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com/2010/05/pxe-boot-installation-for-ubuntu.html
If you have any issue get back here.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM, shali Kallumpuram
<vidyaserveradmin@gmail.com> wrote:

> For creating the server i have installed a DHCP server and TFTP and tried a
> netboot.tar.gz and its working but i need to install my customized cd over
> network.
> any suggestions???
Does your customized CD has same vmlinuz and initrd
and directory structure as normal Ubuntu ISO has?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM, shali Kallumpuram
<vidyaserveradmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> For creating the server i have installed a DHCP server and TFTP and tried a
> netboot.tar.gz and its working but i need to install my customized cd over
> network.
> any suggestions???

Since you have your own CD so do not use atFTPD is having a
limitation of only allowing files smaller that 32MB to be transferred.
Rather install tftpd with xinetd as this does not have that
limitation.

Howto:
http://www.davidsudjiman.info/2006/03/27/installing-and-setting-tftpd-in-ubuntu/

Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
shali Kallumpuram

Dear all,

//Does your customized CD has same vmlinuz and initrd//and directory structure as normal Ubuntu ISO has?

My customised cd contains the following files
casper
default
isolinux
md5sum.txt
preseed
README.diskdefines
ubuntu

is there any fully step by step procedure for setting up a network installation(PXE) server of ubuntu ????

Shali