Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Graham Watkins

Default Ubuntu 10.10 and VirtualBox

Hi,

I thought I'd have a look at 10.10 beta so I installed it in VirtualBox.

Anyway, I seem to be stuck with a screen resolution of 800 x 600 which I
am unable to change for the better. This is a particular nuisance
because I am stuck with a small screen display, the size of which I
cannot increase.

"Disable Guest Display Auto-resize" which might fix it is greyed out the
Machine menu.

I know this a problem peculiar to Ubuntu as I also have Mint 9 installed
and I am able to maximise screen size on this (Display size 1280 x 903).

Guest additions have been installed and reinstalled. However on the
reinstall I noticed the following output:

VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
Building the main Guest Additions module ...done.
Building the shared folder support module ...done.
Building the OpenGL support module ...done.
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions ...done.
Installing the Windows System drivers
Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed. Not
installing the X Window System drivers.
Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components ... done
Press Return to close this window...

The warning seems significant.

Google turned up the following:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/VirtualBox (see Guest Additions In Jaunty)

The instructions there refer to earlier versions of both Ubuntu and
VirtualBox and do not appear to apply to those I am running. (There is
no install.sh and I cannot find a similar line in autorun.sh.)

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this or am I just going to
have to wait for VirtualBox to get up to speed? It is version 3.2.8 -
the latest so far as I know.

Yours baffled,

Graham

Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
M Thomason

On 08/09/2010 12:00, Graham Watkins wrote:

> Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed. Not
> installing the X Window System drivers.
> Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components ... done
> Press Return to close this window...
<snip>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this or am I just going to
> have to wait for VirtualBox to get up to speed? It is version 3.2.8 -
> the latest so far as I know.

I haven't tested it, but you might want to try the instructions at

http://www.sysprobs.com/maverick-meerkat-ubuntu-1010-virtualbox-328-ubuntu-1010-guest-additions-fix

Old 09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Graham Watkins

On 08/09/10 12:07, M Thomason wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 12:00, Graham Watkins wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this or am I just going to
>> have to wait for VirtualBox to get up to speed? It is version 3.2.8 -
>> the latest so far as I know.
>>
> I haven't tested it, but you might want to try the instructions at
>
> http://www.sysprobs.com/maverick-meerkat-ubuntu-1010-virtualbox-328-ubuntu-1010-guest-additions-fix

Worked like a charm. All sorted. Many thanks for quick response.

Graham