Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Ric Moore

Default Help with resolution settings

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 12:49 +1000, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Basil
>
> On Wednesday 08 September 2010 09:52:06 Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
> > > Hi Johnny

> > > I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and
> > > is running 8.04 with suggested driver.
> >
> > What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
> > lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
> >
> > BC
> >
> > --
> > ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
> > drinking alcohol. W C Fields
>

> It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember going to the
> nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
> my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
> that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
> see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
> matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
> screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
> over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
> the glx legacy driver maybe works

I gave up using the driver .run package straight from nVidia as there
seems to be conflicts with it and the Ubuntu lib scheme of things. At
least that has been my experience. So, I just use "hardware drivers" and
let it pick the driver and install it. Works good. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 15:09, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 12:49 +1000, James Takac wrote:
>
>> Hi Basil

>>> What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
>>> lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
>>>
>>> BC
>>>
>>> --
>>> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
>>> drinking alcohol. W C Fields
>>>

>> It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember going to the
>> nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
>> my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
>> that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
>> see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
>> matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
>> screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
>> over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
>> the glx legacy driver maybe works
>>
> I gave up using the driver .run package straight from nVidia as there
> seems to be conflicts with it and the Ubuntu lib scheme of things. At
> least that has been my experience. So, I just use "hardware drivers" and
> let it pick the driver and install it. Works good. Ric

I always used to download the latest and greatest nVidia drivers from
nVidia and then do the '"sh" shuffle' to have them compiled and installed.

Since I've gone Ubuntu I just let the System>Administration>Hardware
Drivers option do the installation for me - the only choice I need to
make here is which one of the 3 suggested drivers to choose.

Has worked here every time.

BC

Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Michael Haney

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I always used to download the latest and greatest nVidia drivers from
> nVidia and then do the '"sh" shuffle' to have them compiled and installed.
>
> Since I've gone Ubuntu I just let the System>Administration>Hardware
> Drivers option do the installation for me - the only choice I need to
> make here is which one of the 3 suggested drivers to choose.
>
> Has worked here every time.

I run into the exact same issue Vic Main is having every time also. I
have an 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 w/256MB DDR-RAM. Before version
7.10 the screen resolution window had a tab for manually choosing your
monitor. That was taken out and never put back, and since then I've
been having the problem. So hat a lot of other people ... a whole lot
of other people, and for some reason Canonical is pretty much sticking
their heads in the sand ignoring the problem.

Anyway, I kept my old xorg.conf file with the Nvidia driver settings
and copy & paste them into the new xorg.conf files of each new
installation after installing the Nvidia drives. I have to manually
change my resolution after each boot using the Nvidia Configuration
Tool, but I don't often reboot unless its necessary.

The problem is really annoying and its disappointing that Canonical is
allowing it to persist like this. The feature to manually choose your
monitor needs to return.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 16:33, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I always used to download the latest and greatest nVidia drivers from
>> nVidia and then do the '"sh" shuffle' to have them compiled and installed.
>>
>> Since I've gone Ubuntu I just let the System>Administration>Hardware
>> Drivers option do the installation for me - the only choice I need to
>> make here is which one of the 3 suggested drivers to choose.
>>
>> Has worked here every time.
>>

> I run into the exact same issue Vic Main is having every time also. I
> have an 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 w/256MB DDR-RAM.

My wife and I have been running Linux distros for years. We are now
running Ubuntu 10.04.1.

On her computer she has the FX 5500 nVidia card.

Ubuntu recognised this card and also the LCD monitor (Viewsonic).

She is getting the correct resolution of 1680x1050 with the nVidia
173.14.22 driver, which Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers installed.

HOWEVER - note this! - for some reason I am unable to get this to work
with the digital connection, only the analog connection works correctly!

> Before version
> 7.10 the screen resolution window had a tab for manually choosing your
> monitor. That was taken out and never put back, and since then I've
> been having the problem. So hat a lot of other people ... a whole lot
> of other people, and for some reason Canonical is pretty much sticking
> their heads in the sand ignoring the problem.

Nothing to do with Canonical.

If I recall the way things worked in the past months, as you are aware
nVidia is a proprietary driver, and not open source, and nVidia decided
that they will provide a driver which would work with any Linux distro -
which is why Canonical, or any other Linux distro, has nothing to do
with the situation.

> Anyway, I kept my old xorg.conf file with the Nvidia driver settings
> and copy& paste them into the new xorg.conf files of each new
> installation after installing the Nvidia drives. I have to manually
> change my resolution after each boot using the Nvidia Configuration
> Tool, but I don't often reboot unless its necessary.
>
> The problem is really annoying and its disappointing that Canonical is
> allowing it to persist like this. The feature to manually choose your
> monitor needs to return.

As I stated, nothing to do with Canonical.

And as far as "manually choose your monitor needs to return", I have not
had Ubuntu incorrectly recognise my monitors on any of my systems.

But if you mean "driver" - then that's a bit different, and you need to
use the help in the Ubuntu Documentation if you have hassles.

BC

Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 12:49, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Basil
>
> On Wednesday 08 September 2010 09:52:06 Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Johnny

>>> I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and
>>> is running 8.04 with suggested driver.
>>>
>> What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
>> lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
>>
>> BC
>>
>> --
>> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
>> drinking alcohol. W C Fields
>>

> It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember going to the
> nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
> my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
> that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
> see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
> matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
> screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
> over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
> the glx legacy driver maybe works
>
> James

Read my other responses to something which Ric wrote and Michael Haney
wrote.

FORGET about going to nVidia itself and try to install a driver from
that site.

All this is now history.

Use Ubuntu's System>Administration>Hardware Drivers to install the
nVidia driver.

The nVidia driver which you would download from nVidia itself needs to
be COMPILED against the kernel you have installed in Ubuntu. Do you have
all the kernel-related files installed to be able to do this?

BC

Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Michael Haney

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> My wife and I have been running Linux distros for years. We are now
> running Ubuntu 10.04.1.
>
> On her computer she has the FX 5500 nVidia card.
>
> Ubuntu recognised this card and also the LCD monitor (Viewsonic).
>
> She is getting the correct resolution of 1680x1050 with the nVidia
> 173.14.22 driver, which Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers installed.
>
> HOWEVER - note this! - for some reason I am unable to get this to work
> with the digital connection, only the analog connection works correctly!

I'm not using digital, just analog VGA.

> Nothing to do with Canonical.
>
> If I recall the way things worked in the past months, as you are aware
> nVidia is a proprietary driver, and not open source, and nVidia decided
> that they will provide a driver which would work with any Linux distro -
> which is why Canonical, or any other Linux distro, has nothing to do
> with the situation.

Sorry, that's wrong. This problem affects users with ANY graphics
card with Ubuntu compatible 3D acceleration drivers (ie; AMD-formerly
ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Matrox, etc., etc.). So, its not the graphics
card drives at all, and the lack of the ability to manually select the
monitor settings makes it much worse.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/09/2010 18:02, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> My wife and I have been running Linux distros for years. We are now
>> running Ubuntu 10.04.1.
>>
>> On her computer she has the FX 5500 nVidia card.
>>
>> Ubuntu recognised this card and also the LCD monitor (Viewsonic).
>>
>> She is getting the correct resolution of 1680x1050 with the nVidia
>> 173.14.22 driver, which Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers installed.
>>
>> HOWEVER - note this! - for some reason I am unable to get this to work
>> with the digital connection, only the analog connection works correctly!
>>

> I'm not using digital, just analog VGA.
>

>> Nothing to do with Canonical.
>>
>> If I recall the way things worked in the past months, as you are aware
>> nVidia is a proprietary driver, and not open source, and nVidia decided
>> that they will provide a driver which would work with any Linux distro -
>> which is why Canonical, or any other Linux distro, has nothing to do
>> with the situation.
>>

> Sorry, that's wrong. This problem affects users with ANY graphics
> card with Ubuntu compatible 3D acceleration drivers (ie; AMD-formerly
> ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Matrox, etc., etc.). So, its not the graphics
> card drives at all, and the lack of the ability to manually select the
> monitor settings makes it much worse.

Hold on, hold on.

In your earlier post you stated,

Anyway, I kept my old xorg.conf file with the Nvidia driver settings
and copy& paste them into the new xorg.conf files of each new
installation after installing the Nvidia drives. I have to manually
change my resolution after each boot using the Nvidia Configuration
Tool, but I don't often reboot unless its necessary.

Now - and even above - are you complaining about nVidia driver settings, or about graphic cards, or is it now monitors, or what?!

Make up your mind, OK?

BC

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Liam Proven

On 8 September 2010 04:19, Vic Main <vmain@shaw.ca> wrote:

> * * I'm now using 10.04. this monitor resolution thing has been the
> main stumbling block in using Ubuntu more.
> With the version I just tried to update and trashed, the generic
> driver gave me a maximum of 600x800.
> The generic driver in 10.04 now gives me 1024x768, a huge step up.
> The NVIDIA driver "recommended" that I tried is called
> "NVIDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER (VERSION 96)" *I can tweak all
> sorts of settings, but the video resolution
> choice that driver gives me is 320x240, or 640x480. I'm going to go
> and delve into the drivers available again
>
> As an explanation of what I have re: the question I asked about
> partitioning recomendations.
> An HP Pavillion with an AMD Athalon processor and 512MB memory 2 ide
> drives (1-150GB, the other 160GB)
> I've partitioned *the 160 so that Ubuntu is running off of it, 1
> 500GB SATA and 1 750GB SATA in a Thermltake USB dual SATA drive interface.
> I also have a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home server with 2
> TB in it. It backs up laptops and the main drive on the Pavillion
> with ntfs partitions on them.
>
> Thanks again to all for the suggestions and help!!

You might want to register with this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x-kit/+bug/240916

Add in the config files & info they request on that page.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
NoOp

On 09/07/2010 08:19 PM, Vic Main wrote:
> I'm now using 10.04. this monitor resolution thing has been the
> main stumbling block in using Ubuntu more.
> With the version I just tried to update and trashed, the generic
> driver gave me a maximum of 600x800.
> The generic driver in 10.04 now gives me 1024x768, a huge step up.
> The NVIDIA driver "recommended" that I tried is called
> "NVIDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER (VERSION 96)" I can tweak all
> sorts of settings, but the video resolution
> choice that driver gives me is 320x240, or 640x480. I'm going to go
> and delve into the drivers available again

I use the '96 driver and have no issues getting proper resolutions on my
machines. It sounds as if you may not have the the driver properly
enabled/configured. Open 'System|Admin|Hardware Drivers'and see if the
'96 driver shows as 'This driver is activated and currently in use'. If
not, enable it. Now before rebooting open a terminal and:

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
[it may already be installed, but if not - install it]

$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Now reboot. Check your settings in 'System|Admin|NVIDIA X Server
Settings'. Open a terminal & check your xrandr. Here is mine for an old
Dell UltraSharp 1800FP monitor & NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL] :

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 50.0 51.0*
1280x960 52.0 53.0
1152x864 54.0 55.0 56.0 57.0
1024x768 58.0 59.0 60.0 61.0
960x600 62.0
960x540 63.0
840x525 64.0 65.0 66.0
832x624 67.0 68.0
800x600 69.0 70.0 71.0 72.0 73.0
800x512 74.0
720x450 75.0
680x384 76.0 77.0
640x512 78.0 79.0
640x480 80.0 81.0 82.0 83.0 84.0 85.0
576x432 86.0 87.0 88.0 89.0
512x384 90.0 91.0 92.0
416x312 93.0
400x300 94.0 95.0 96.0 97.0
320x240 98.0 99.0 100.0

Low resolution settings typically correspond to incorrect refresh rates,
make sure that yours are correct. On some systems I've found using the
default 'System|Preferences|Monitor/Display' rather than the nVidia
manager works - don't know why, but seems to do the trick on occasion.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
NoOp

On 09/08/2010 05:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> You might want to register with this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x-kit/+bug/240916
>
> Add in the config files & info they request on that page.

Why? The nVidia-settings utility provides him with a gui to do this already.