Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Matt Anderson

Default A little off topic but I hope someone can shed some light

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.The machine will not reboot. *What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.I have to turn it off. *Close the lid, wait various amounts of time before it will start again.
Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!
Any clues would be greatly appreciated!
--
Matt Anderson

9712216800c@gmail.com
(971) 248-0870
John 8:32

Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:08 AM, Matt Anderson wrote:
> I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.
> The machine will not reboot. What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers
> back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.
> I have to turn it off. Close the lid, wait various amounts of time
> before it will start again.
> Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of
> time I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!

I'd say hardware. Time to send it off to the repair shop.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Michael Haney

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Matt Anderson <9712216800c@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.
> The machine will not reboot. *What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers back
> up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.
> I have to turn it off. *Close the lid, wait various amounts of time before
> it will start again.
> Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time I
> have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

My desktop has the "exact" same problem as you described. I have to
hit reset twice to make it boot or power it off for a while then start
it up. I'm not sure what is causing it but I suspect the motherboard
is slowly wearing out on me.

As for your laptop, it could be the same issue. The motherboard is
going bad, possibly, or there's a issue in the battery. I can pretty
much rule out software as the cause and I'm sure others will likely
agree.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Matt Anderson

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:08 AM, Matt Anderson wrote:

> I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.

> The machine will not reboot. *What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers

> back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.

> I have to turn it off. *Close the lid, wait various amounts of time

> before it will start again.

> Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of

> time I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!

I'd say hardware. Time to send it off to the repair shop.

Well, every hardware test I can find, does not find any issues at all.....I have eliminated heat by the way as the precipitating factor.
--
Matt Anderson
9712216800c@gmail.com

(971) 248-0870
John 8:32

Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Matt Anderson

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Matt Anderson <9712216800c@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.

> The machine will not reboot. *What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers back

> up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.

> I have to turn it off. *Close the lid, wait various amounts of time before

> it will start again.

> Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time I

> have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!

> Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

My desktop has the "exact" same problem as you described. *I have to

hit reset twice to make it boot or power it off for a while then start

it up. *I'm not sure what is causing it but I suspect the motherboard

is slowly wearing out on me.

As for your laptop, it could be the same issue. *The motherboard is

going bad, possibly, or there's a issue in the battery. *I can pretty

much rule out software as the cause and I'm sure others will likely

agree.

--

Michael "TheZorch" Haney

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and

politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place

for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1

To Contact Me:

http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Oh, just to clarify, it does not matter if it is Windows or Linux on the machine. *It runs so GREAT when it is on!
--
Matt Anderson
9712216800c@gmail.com

(971) 248-0870
John 8:32

Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:16 AM, Matt Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:08 AM, Matt Anderson wrote:
> > I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.
> > The machine will not reboot. What I mean by this, it shuts off,
> powers
> > back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.
> > I have to turn it off. Close the lid, wait various amounts of time
> > before it will start again.
> > Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of
> > time I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!
>
> I'd say hardware. Time to send it off to the repair shop.
>

> Well, every hardware test I can find, does not find any issues at all.....
> I have eliminated heat by the way as the precipitating factor.

Hahaha, you must have been reading my mind or something because I had
heat way up there before I decided to drop it. If it was a desktop, I'd
be looking for blown capacitors.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Vic Main

The machine will not reboot.* What I mean by this, it shuts off,
powers back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.

I have to turn it off.* Close the lid, wait various amounts of time
before it will start again.

Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time
I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

--

Matt Anderson

9712216800c@gmail.com

(971) 248-0870

John 8:32

This sounds like a heat problem to me, possibly a fan has
gone,

the processor gets to a preset temperature limit and the internal
protection turns on and shuts it down.

*This is so that the chips don't destroy themselves.

The clue that's most important is that you have to wait.

Vic

Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 AM
James Takac

[...]

I'd tend to agree. I'd suggest to check the vents around the sides, back, etc to see if their clogged and also the fan for the same problem. If they are then clear them out. Had that prob with a notebook years ago. As soon as I cleared the vents and fan all was right

James

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Colin Law

On 8 September 2010 04:24, Vic Main <vmain@shaw.ca> wrote:
> At 07:08 PM 09/07/10, you wrote:
>
> I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.
> The machine will not reboot.* What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers back
> up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.
> I have to turn it off.* Close the lid, wait various amounts of time before
> it will start again.
> Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time I
> have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!
>
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated!
> --
> Matt Anderson
> 9712216800c@gmail.com
> (971) 248-0870
> John 8:32
>
> This sounds like a heat problem to me, possibly a fan has gone,
> the processor gets to a preset temperature limit and the internal protection
> turns on and shuts it down.
> *This is so that the chips don't destroy themselves.
> The clue that's most important is that you have to wait.

I don't think the OP meant that it shuts down by itself. I think that
what he means is that if he asks it to restart then it appears to
close down Ubuntu, the screen goes blank, and then it just hangs
instead of the BIOS starting up.

A question, if you ask it to shutdown (rather than restart) does it
shut down and power off ok? If so then I would agree that it is
likely a hardware problem. If not then it is not that it does not
restart, but that it is not shutting down properly, and is hanging
during the shutdown.

Colin